Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Expedition built truck - trade for 997.2 / 991

Old 07-02-2018, 09:02 PM
MTSN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expedition built truck - trade for 997.2 / 991

Year: 2017
Make: Toyota
Model: 0
Mileage (numbers only please): 33200
Color: White
VIN: 3TMCZ5AN0HM058175
Price (no $ sign please): $64000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): West
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Tiptronic
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 4 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: None

I know this is a long shot to post this here, but I'm thinning the herd of vehicles at my house to make way for a 997.2 or 991. I'm ideally looking for a PDK 997.2 4 GTS, but I'd also consider a 991 car with the right miles and PDK (manual cars are unfortunately out of the question due to injury). This particular truck was built to literally travel the world where there are no roads and camp in comfort. Here's the ad from an expedition forum I frequent and apologies for the seemingly random nature of the post! Lots of pictures available here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/T1mvNuXAvCqp85yK7

OVERVIEW

This is a rare opportunity to buy a complete, turn key expedition rig that has been built with only the highest quality and functional parts. It was built to explore everything from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia, and more if you want to ship it overseas. While the third generation Tacoma is a great platform as it comes from the factory, the synergy and capability gained from combining it with offerings from Adventure Trailers, Goose Gear, Icon, Warn, BFG and others is hard to appreciate until you've experienced it. The balance of trail capability and pavement comfort is excellent, and the incredibly fast and easy camp set up is second to none. It has many of the pros of a pop up camper trailer but in a smaller and more maneuverable package. Because it is only nominally larger than a stock Tacoma, it will go places full size campers and adventure vans can only dream about.

THE TRUCK

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab

- 33.2k miles
- Premium, JBL and Tech packages
- dual zone/automatic climate control, navigation, apps like Pandora, bluetooth, heated seats, Qi wireless charging, moonroof, power rear window
- just serviced at Mountain States Toyota on Friday 6/29
- both original keys/remotes
- clean Colorado title in hand
- 4.88 Nitro gears
- OEM TRD Pro grill

THE BUILD

The build is comprised of an exhaustive list of only the best parts, and I'll do my best to outline everything below. The vehicle and electrical work was done by Sierra Expeditions, and the Habitat and Goose Gear interior was done by Goose Gear.

Suspension:

- Icon 2.5" remote reservoir coilover with 700 pound coils
- Total Chaos upper and lower control arms
- Total Chaos LCA cam tab gussets
- Total Chaos coil bucket gussets
- Total Chaos spindle gussets
- Icon 2.5" remote reservoir CDCV shocks
- Deaver custom leaf pack
- Total Chaos 2.0 rear bumpstop kit
- Fox Racing hydraulic bumpstops
- BFG KM3 285/70/17 tires (brand new - first set Discount Tire installed in Denver)
- American Racing Baja wheels 17"x9"

Armor/Recovery:

- CBI T3 Pro front bumper
- Vision X 21" Xmitter Prime light bar
- Vision X Optimus fog lights
- Warn 9.5 XPS winch with synthetic line
- Factor 55 hawse fairlead
- Factor 55 Flatlink
- CBI T3 dual swingout rear bumper
- full size brand new spare on one swingout
- jerry can basket with 2 five gallon black jerry cans
- CBI Pro rock sliders
- 4 Maxtrax on Maxtrax pins mounted to exterior of Habitat
- Long Ranger 34 gallon/129 liter fuel tank
- Safari/ARB Airmax snorkel

Camping/Electrical:

- Adventure Trailers Habitat
- full carpet
- updated version without stamped logo (earlier versions had leaking where it was stamped)
- painted to match truck
- Goose Gear full interior buildout
- base plate system
- 2 storage drawers accessible from front and top
- folding bench seats
- fridge slide with cabinet
- removable cutting board to access fridge when camper is closed up
- 13 gallon custom stainless steel water tank with inline filter behind rear seats
- Dynamat on the rear wall and around water tank
- Whale 12v water pump connected to hose in camper
- National Luna 52L Weekender Fridge
- sPOD SE 8 circuit touchscreen
- 2 display system: full control inside cab and inside camper
- IBS dual battery system
- Odyssey Extreme Group 35 main battery
- Odyssey Extreme PC1800 house battery
- Rigid interior LED lighting A series red and white lights
- Rigid exterior scene lighting
- Rigid SRQ reverse lights
- ARB twin air compressor
- hard mounted under hood
- 2 remote air chucks plumbed to front and rear bumpers (don't have to open hood to air up)
- Blue Sea USB outlets in cab and in camper
- Blue Sea 12v sockets in cab and in camper
- Blue Sea voltmeter in camper (IBS controller in cab)
- HD rear view camera to replace rear view mirror
- Iridium satellite phone antenna
- Hardwired for auxiliary Garmin navigation unit

HIGHLIGHTS

This truck has many unique features that make using it a pleasure and makes camping much more enjoyable. A crowd pleaser is the pressurized clean water that comes from the water tank and 12v pump which is perfect for washing your hands, doing dishes or rinsing off. The Habitat in general is a game changer for camping - fast and simple setup (I have it down to about 1.5 minutes 100% solo), secure and high off the ground, easy to get into and out of, tons of privacy, easy to lounge around in, great for sitting out bad weather (especially with the fold down seats and extendable desk/platform), super comfortable mattress, tons of headroom, many electrical access ports and plenty of LED lighting. Because it's made of aluminum, its weight doesn't limit the off road capability of the truck, and it physically fits great on virtually any trail.

The Icon suspension on this truck is simply superb. Being able to dial in the settings with a simple turn of a **** is incredibly useful, and the springs are perfectly set up for the weight of the truck and camper. I have BP51 coilovers on my 200, and I much prefer the Icon setup on the Tacoma. Even though there are lots of cool stuff on the truck, perhaps my favorite is the ARB twin air compressor that has lines plumbed to the back (inside the Habitat) and the front bumper, so you can turn the compressor on via the sPOD and hook up the ARB digital inflator without ever popping the hood. The twin compressor is very fast particularly when airing up 33s, so it's an easy affair to get rolling again after being on the trail. I also had an upholstery shop replace the factory driver seat foam with a higher density and slightly thicker foam that transformed the comfort of the truck (it did not affect the heated seat element in any way). It's now easy to drive all day whereas prior to the upgrade I didn't find the seat very comfortable. The huge 34 gallon fuel tank makes a long day of driving easy too with impressive range.

DEFICIENCIES

If I had enough PTO, I would hop in the truck tomorrow and do a 6 month road trip all over North America, and the truck needs nothing to do that trip. The only 2 slight blemishes are a door dent on the passenger front door and a rock chip on the windshield. The door dent was there when I bought the truck from the original owner (he did the vast majority of the work, and I've owned it for just under 1 year), and I've had a couple of appointments to get it fixed. My appointments have been canceled however when hail storms have popped up since it's more lucrative for them to take care of 100 cars instead of pulling a dent for me. I have a quote for under $200 for paintless dent repair and one for $650 from a shop that includes paint. I have an appointment with the PDR guy in 2 weeks, so if I still have the truck then I'll get it taken care of. If someone wants the truck before then, I'll deduct the cost of the repair from the purchase price. The chip in the windshield is minor and doesn't affect visibility and doesn't appear to be the type to spread, but it's there in the interest of full disclosure.

WHY AM I SELLING??, LOCATION, PRICE, CONTACT INFO

I'm sure a lot of people will wonder why I'm selling such an awesome truck. It truly is one of the nicest and well sorted trucks to hit the market in some time, and I have been on the fence of whether or not to sell. The issue is that I have two 200 series Land Cruisers, 2 motorcycles, a trailer (not including my wife's car), and I'm close to inking a deal on a 997.2 4 GTS. I'm already out of car storage and have been paying quite a bit to keep the Tacoma in a storage facility.

I'm located in Denver, CO, which is where the truck is stored. I have a trip planned to Telluride, CO at the 200 at the end of July, so if someone wanted to pick up the truck there I'd gladly drive it down. Also, if someone wanted to pick it up in Moab, I could be convinced to drive it down, camp in it one last time, then hand over keys.

The truck has a blue book value around $38k, and there are $52k in added aftermarket parts which does not include labor (I can send a spreadsheet over of the costs of the modifications to interested parties). I'm asking $64k as it sits right now which is essentially getting all the mods for half price plus zero labor/install costs. There are few trucks that offer this much equipment and capability at this price point (excluding bespoke $$$ builds).

Shoot me a PM or reply here, and I'll respond with my email address and phone number. I've sold a few vehicles here and other places, and I'm quick to respond and easy to work with.

TL;DR
Best truck ever, $64k, come and get it in Denver or I'll meet you in Moab or Telluride

Last edited by MTSN; 07-19-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:02 PM
MTSN
Rennlist Member

Full picture album here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/T1mvNuXAvCqp85yK7

Also forgot to mention the axles have been regeared to 4.88!

Last edited by MTSN; 07-19-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

That is super cool - I would have been interested if it was a manual trans.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:58 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

this is very cool. wish I had a car to trade for it. would be perfect for surf vacations
Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 PM
MTSN
Rennlist Member

I appreciate all the views and attention! I've had more legitimate interest here than I have on the dedicated expedition forum which is quite a nice surprise. I have failed to properly convey I'd gladly sell for cash instead of a trade in case there is any interest. The funds will be used to purchase a 997.2 or 991.1, so I don't care if it comes via trade or via purchase then turning around and buying. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2018, 02:22 PM
MTSN
Rennlist Member

Last bump before I throw it up on BAT. Lots and lots of inquiries, but no one has taken the plunge yet. I had a request to get the truck weighed, so I went to a CAT scale and it weights 6,420 pounds with me in it, 17 gallons of fuel and 10 gallons of water. Add about 131 pounds to top off both tanks and how ever much your partner weighs to get an idea of what it is in expedition ready form.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Expedition built truck - trade for 997.2 / 991