Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1972 914-6 Subaru swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:55 PM
achman
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1972 914-6 Subaru swap

Year: 1972
Make: Porsche
Model: 0
Cont. Porsche Models: 914-6
Mileage (numbers only please): 8500
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Foglamps, Power Windows
Color: Olympic Blue
VIN: 4722900981
Price (no $ sign please): $21500
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

$21,500 taking offers
Up for reluctant sale is my one-of-a-kind 1972 Porsche 914 with a Subaru EZ30D flat-six swap, including Subaru transaxle. This swap effectively fixes the two problems with a 914--no power and horrible shifting. With 240 fuel-injected and water-cooled horsepower and a smooth-shifting Subaru 5 speed, this car can more than hold it's own against modern cars, with style that they just can't match.
The details:

--1972 914, dry, very minimal rust--Olympic Blue (originally Irish Green)

--240hp EZ30D flat-six cylinder water-cooled swap from SubaruLegacy Outback

--EZ30D is a twin-cam, VVT, all aluminum block and head, 3.0L with timing chains. Advanced engine, found in the Subaru Tribeca SUV. No leaks. ECU is a Megasquirt, can easily be hooked up to a computer for tuning. I have not touched it since I got it.

--Subaru 5sp transaxle also (very rare conversion, find another). The transmission is flipped around, and the rear output is blocked off, and the front wheel drive is used for the rear wheels of the 914. Pretty slick.

--16” genuine Fuchs, Hancook Ventus tires, Porsche 911 front brakes and suspension, Koni and upgraded springs on rear, chassis stiffening kit welded in

--Nice driver-quality interior, Scheel seats, genuine Momo Prototipo steering wheel, power windows even.

--No heat or A/C. I don’t drive it in winter and I take the top off in summer (still fits in rear trunk) A/C could probably be fitted somehow but I never looked into it.

--Gauges work, lights and fog lights work, stereo works, power windows work. Top still fits in rear trunk.

​​--brand new Optima redtop​​​​ battery 6/03/17

Driver quality, definitely not a “concours” car but looks great. Paint 7/10, interior 6.5/10, mechanically 9/10. Engine bay and trunk were painted when car was painted.

The Subaru 5sp transaxle transforms the car. If you've ever driven a 914, you know the shifting is just not the best. I’ve had three 914s, (stock 2.0, 331 V8, and this) and this is easily the best driver of the bunch by far.

Car is turn-key.

I've driven it an hour+ on the highway at a stretch with no issues. Local roads, Home Depot, taken it shopping, car shows, etc. In traffic at 90 degrees, no problem. Custom radiator and twin Spal fans, and the aluminum engine keep it cool.

The conversion was done by a guy who has done three of them, and two LSx conversions also.
Everything is done correctly. He put almost 7K miles on it, sorting it out and daily driving it for a year. I’ve put over 1000 miles on it without a single mechanical issue.

Doesn't stall, do weird stuff, etc. I start it after 2-3 weeks in the garage, it fires right up, idles fine. Does not "need a tune" or any of the typical stuff.

Watch the many videos!

Pulls very hard above 3K, it's at least as quick as a Cayman S, 0-60 in easily 5 seconds or less.

I don't beat on it, I take it to Cars and Coffee and nice drives.

I have literally not done anything mechanically to it since I got it but drive it. Nothing with the cooling system, tuning, etc.

What I have done:
--Replaced the windshield last month (took 6 months to get a real Sekurit one) for over $1200 (old one was cracked)
--Serviced it and did oil change etc.
--Added a genuine Porsche 914-6 badge in the correct place. Took 6 months to get that too.
--Rewired foglights correctly, they work now.
--Bolted in seat correctly.
--Fixed tach, was reading incorrectly.

It's pretty rust-free for a 914, the only rust I have found is in the back of the trunk where condensation forms,, as shown in the overview video. They now make a patch panel for that area, $200 at AutoAtlanta. I got an estimate to fix it at $500 but I never felt the need to. You can’t see it and it’s not structural. See the underside pics. I'm not hiding anything. Hell-hole was relocated to drivers-side because of cooling system, and is rust-free. Longs are good. It’s a very nice car.

If I was keeping it, I would probably have someone do a cross-over for the exhaust, it drones at certain RPM on highway. That's it.

Selling due to overwhelming garage renovation to house my other cars.

VIDEOS and underside pics:

Underside and additional pics:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...GpTQWtsNXc1bTg

Intro Video:

Overview Video:

Cooling system:

Drive to Home Depot:

Drive from Home Depot:

Independent review from Glenn's Car Collection:
Attached Images           

Last edited by achman; 06-05-2017 at 05:56 PM. Reason: New battery
Old 05-30-2017, 06:08 PM
achman
Instructor

bump?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:43 AM
MrRogers
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having driven this car, I can say it truly is a riot. It is super fast, extremely connected, and sounds amazing. Whoever buys this is guaranteed to have a ton of fun. And the seller is a gentleman and a scholar.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:22 PM
achman
Instructor

Too much info I guess.

I should have posted one grainy half picture of it with no details, and let it go at that, I would have way more emails..
Old 06-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by achman
Too much info I guess.

I should have posted one grainy half picture of it with no details, and let it go at that, I would have way more emails..
lol... Great post!

I've never been a big 914 fan but this car makes me want it, GLWS!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:50 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Too much info I guess.

No need to take it personally. It's a unique car...will take a unique buyer. Love the color and sounds like a nice conversion.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Hansel
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Too much info I guess.

You just weeded out a bunch of tire kickers with a bunch of random questions by answering everything up front is all.

GLWS, love the color!
Old 06-02-2017, 01:41 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I gotta admit, I love it. It looks great too. GLWS, adn while i need a car to store at my mother's (OH), not sure this fits the bill. It'd be a hoot in and around SF though!!!
Old 06-02-2017, 03:45 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

What do the California experts say on smog?

Could I bring this in and register it for street use without a problem due to its age?
Old 06-02-2017, 04:48 PM
achman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996toomey
What do the California experts say on smog?

Could I bring this in and register it for street use without a problem due to its age?
this is the info I found...but then again I live in NJ so don't have to deal with it:

"Any engine swap (unless it is the identical engine as was supplied by the factory) will require a referee visit. So, putting a 5.0L ford V8 from another Mustang into a V6 Mustang will still require a visit to the BAR referee.

The engine must be from the same year or newer and have ALL the emissions equipment which was originally supplied with the donor engine from the factory.
If the donor engine is computer controlled (OBDI or OBDII), the diagnostic port and SES light must be installed and operate properly. This means that if the donor vehicle had fuel tank with pressure sensor and vapor solenoid etc, etc, then the fuel tank from the donor needs to be installed also. The PCM cannot be reprogrammed to delete DTC, and the PCM cannot be throwing DTC (SES light illuminated).
The engine must be from the same family of vehicles, ie cars to cars, trucks to trucks etc. The family cut off for car's family is 1 ton trucks. Thus, a 3/4 ton truck engine can be installed into a yugo etc. You cannot install a Yugo engine into a Ford F350 truck.....
hope that helps....CA smog testing requirements end at 1974 and older, so if you have a 1975 car, you need to smog test it. There is no longer a rolling 30 year exemption....it is frozen at 1974. All the above engine change information technically applies to vehicles from 1900 to 1974 also.......however....not having to smog test them biennially, well......"

I think the problem is that the car runs on a Megasquirt ECU, not the factory Subaru one. Also, no emissions equipment installed. So, if you ran into somebody who knows what they are doing, it would most likely be deemed illegal.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:01 PM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^The above information is true but I believe only for cars post 1975. All pre 1975 cars, like this one, are smog exempt in CA. I'm fairly certain this can be registered in CA with out issue.

This thing looks like a bunch of fun. Glws.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:11 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 532 Posts

Interesting gear shift- it seems a little further back than the stock lever. Is that because of cable length? Have to admit I don't know much about Subaru engines/ transaxles but assume they have a cable shifter.
Several people over at 914world have done Subie conversions so you wouldn't be alone if you got it...
Old 06-04-2017, 04:05 PM
achman
Instructor

Originally Posted by skl
Interesting gear shift- it seems a little further back than the stock lever. Is that because of cable length? Have to admit I don't know much about Subaru engines/ transaxles but assume they have a cable shifter.
Several people over at 914world have done Subie conversions so you wouldn't be alone if you got it...

Having owned two other 914s, I believe it is very close to where the original shifter was. The original shifter is longer and has a longer throw, that might "throw" it off. This one has a screw-on extension fabricated, it really falls right to your hand and is a pleasure to use. Cable actuated, yes, but very positive and game-changer compare to stock gearbox.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:15 PM
achman
Instructor

Default Additional detail photos

https://goo.gl/photos/KQAf2h3D46pToutj7

Showing 5 lug conversion, rear brakes, details of clean body, closeups of trunk, etc.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:56 PM
chefc4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 914

Is that subie 6 turbochargeable? Not sure if that's a word, but my wife has a 4 banger turbo forester and goes pretty good.
Thanks in advance and glws. Great color.
Kevin

Quick Reply: 1972 914-6 Subaru swap