Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

PCAR FINDER and PCAR BUILDSHEET

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:26 AM
sbarbour
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Year: 2020
Make: Volkswagen
Model: Beetle
Mileage (numbers only please): 911
Color: All of them
Price (no $ sign please): $0
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): West
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 4 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Other
Stereo System: None

Originally Posted by oilhammer
There's a ton of potential behind this site. I started a similar database gathering of cars, but I limited it to just two models and two years. Anyway, something we found useful on another forum's craigslist thread, is to capture and paste images from the listing. Craigslist ads can often disappear within a half hour, so it's nice to be able to grab photos and details about the listing beyond just the price and model. I realize that will come at the cost of storing photos, but it seems like that's all that's missing from your tool.
Thanks! Appreciate your suggestion and will consider it. For me, I was looking at photos mainly to see what options the vehicle had. Since PCAR FINDER can search by terms in the buildsheet, I left it at that. However, I can understand the value in seeing pictures on previous listings as another datapoint for vehicle history.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:32 PM
Nine1won
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sbarbour
Thanks for all the comments and questions about the site. Some have been asking about more advanced features, so here are a few available now.

Results Grid Customization

Swipe for next/previous PCAR (super-handy on mobile and tablet)

Use quotation marks in any text field for an exact match

Buildsheet lookup and search from pcarbuildsheet.com

Keep the suggestions/ideas coming!
Love it!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:16 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

WoW, Well Done!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:19 PM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 163 Posts

Thanks for this will definitely be put to good use.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:06 PM
Maan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you!
Old 08-26-2018, 07:35 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm not sure if this is already a feature, but one of the things I have found annoying when searching for a car (on other sites) is repeatedly coming across a listing for a car that I have already previously rejected.

Is there a way to tag individual listings so that they are not included in future search results with maybe an option either include or exclude previously tagged pcar id's?
Old 08-26-2018, 01:16 PM
emptypockets
Intermediate

I clicked on the link in the op, live searches are listed but when I type in a model number zero results comes up. I have tried different titles and used " but get the same result.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:51 AM
sbarbour
Instructor

Originally Posted by badabing
I'm not sure if this is already a feature, but one of the things I have found annoying when searching for a car (on other sites) is repeatedly coming across a listing for a car that I have already previously rejected.

Is there a way to tag individual listings so that they are not included in future search results with maybe an option either include or exclude previously tagged pcar id's?
Great suggestion - thank you. This is possible once logins are implemented. I’m thinking a simple sign-in with Google. That way everyone would have a profile to set personal preferences like this, among other features.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:54 AM
sbarbour
Instructor

Originally Posted by emptypockets
I clicked on the link in the op, live searches are listed but when I type in a model number zero results comes up. I have tried different titles and used " but get the same result.
Sending you a PM on this to learn more and will update this post once understood. The main universal search bar queries nearly every field, including Model Number. However, if you want to see a drop down menu of all Model Numbers, you can see that on the left side (Filters) under PCAR DATA.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:16 PM
emptypockets
Intermediate

Sending you a PM on this to learn more and will update this post once understood. The main universal search bar queries nearly every field, including Model Number. However, if you want to see a drop down menu of all Model Numbers, you can see that on the left side (Filters) under PCAR DATA.
Thanks for help.

For those that might be having trouble, I was being too specific using the universal search bar putting in the year and model type. Typing in just the model number (996, 991 etc.) got me results.
Great tool...thanks sarbour.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:47 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

PCAR BUILDSHEET (pcarbuildsheet.com) and the link above are both unable to generate this one right now. There seems to be some small number (fewer than 10%) of qualifying VINs which are not in Porsche’s system. I’m continuing to research this and will shoot you a PM if/when I have a solution.
Thanks sbarbour!
Old 09-08-2018, 06:54 PM
sbarbour
Instructor

So there's good news and bad news today.

Good news: A new source (ClassicCars.com with over 1,000 Porsche listings) has been added to PCAR FINDER!

Bad news: Porsche has changed their buildsheet system in a way that prevents buildsheets from being retrieved from a VIN. Buildsheets will always be available for those that were previously retrieved, but PCAR FINDER and PCAR BUILDSHEET won't receive new buildsheets until this issue is resolved.

If anyone has contacts at Porsche that may be able to assist, please send me a PM.

Edit: See the OP for the latest buildsheet-related info.

Last edited by sbarbour; 10-25-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:54 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

PCNA closed the back door and the only new build sheets you can see are those listed in Porsche's pre-owned section of its website. I guess you can add some data from those.

I doubt you can convince anyone at PCNA to let you use the vin search again. Porsche is in the business of helping its dealers only
Old 09-08-2018, 09:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

So there's good news and bad news today.

Good news: A new source (ClassicCars.com with over 1,000 Porsche listings) has been added to PCAR FINDER!

Bad news: Porsche has changed their buildsheet system in a way that prevents buildsheets from being retrieved from a VIN. Buildsheets will always be available for those that were previously retrieved, but PCAR FINDER and PCAR BUILDSHEET won't receive new buildsheets until this issue is resolved.

If anyone has contacts at Porsche that may be able to assist, please send me a PM.

Websites like yours are the reason PCNA closed the loophole. Too many websites playing pre-owned Porsche dealers.

They've locked it down for what looks forever now.

Last edited by STG; 09-08-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:12 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Maybe they will finally fix their own website then. It's not exactly user friendly, and feels a lot like a real estate agent that leaves the for sale sign in the yard to collect leads long after a contract is in hand. Most of the cars I have called about were already sold.

Quick Reply: PCAR FINDER and PCAR BUILDSHEET