Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 11:39 AM
Digitalwave
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced that recently as well. I called in and got the same quote as all my last coverages (about 1/3 the price of what I was quoted on a recent online quote). Try calling in.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Just an FYI regarding Hagerty-RLI HPDE Insurance.

I've used and recommended them for the past two years and the rates were very reasonable. Last time was Oct. of last year and the HPDE policy I wanted was $205 (same price for the past two years). I just applied for HPDE insurance for a June DE, exact same coverage and deductible........and the quote was $415 !!
Guess I'll look elsewhere and can't recommend them now..
Do you have insured modifications? I recently added adjustable LCAs that cost me $1500. The rates for modifications is clearly higher. I have a DE in July and been paying around $200 for the last two years so hope yours was a mistake. I had used Lockton before.

09 Boxster PDK w/Sport/Sport+
Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

UPDATE: I ended up gong with Lockton . Their price was comparable to RLI before they doubled their premium.
When I called Hagerty about the massive increase, they said someone from RLI would call me...…...they never did. I can no longer recommend Hagerty/RLI.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:46 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
UPDATE: I ended up gong with Lockton . Their price was comparable to RLI before they doubled their premium.
When I called Hagerty about the massive increase, they said someone from RLI would call me...…...they never did. I can no longer recommend Hagerty/RLI.
Ooof....
Old 05-22-2019, 03:13 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Just insured with Hagerty 2010 CS for $37,000 for Time Trial with SCCA at CMP. Cost was $332.00 which I had no problem with since this is a timed event.

Peter
Old 05-22-2019, 05:03 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Or just take the risk, and if they ball up their car, they walk away from the sport.
I self insured once. Now I pay the insurance fee . Happy to use Lockton even though it's painful to see the spend add up quickly as the events get ticked off.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:35 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

The amount of money some people pay for track insurance on HPDE days would net them a dedicated race car within a couple of years... Never understood the HPDE insurance proposition. If you're not willing to walk away from the financial loss, don't push 9 tenths or higher. Just enjoy yourself and the car on track, and don't go out chasing lap times.

When you're ready to start chasing lap times, buy something you are willing to walk away from and have the f*ck at it. I started in a 997TT. Once I got to the point of seriously considering safety upgrades, insurance etc... I realized I could buy a Cayman S race car for about that same cost. There is something magical about wringing out a purpose built, highly capable tool without worrying about insurance, replacement costs, etc... And as happens often with people that take this step, I lap way faster in the cayman than I did in my 997TT that had a 300hp advantage.

Of course this does not apply to actual racing with cup cars, etc... Talking about your typical HPDE PCA weekend. YMMV of course.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:06 PM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Besides property track day insurance, anyone concerned about personnel liability?
Old 07-23-2019, 05:20 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,796 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Originally Posted by bertram928
Besides property track day insurance, anyone concerned about personnel liability?
I'm concerned about it, but I don't think the personal liability insurance offered by Open Track is a good deal, when considering:

- The protection provided versus the cost
- The liability protection already provided by the waivers we all sign
- The unlikelihood that people will sue, unless there's a serious injury or fatality, which is rare even in the event of crash
Old 07-23-2019, 06:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
The amount of money some people pay for track insurance on HPDE days would net them a dedicated race car within a couple of years... Never understood the HPDE insurance proposition. If you're not willing to walk away from the financial loss, don't push 9 tenths or higher. Just enjoy yourself and the car on track, and don't go out chasing lap times.

Im not too worried about me wrecking and putting in the wall...yes a suspension part could break...but that very extremely rarely happens. What I’m worried about is someone dumping fluid and causing a wreck...this seems to happen with some of the cars these days at the track and I’m worried about being hit by another driver which lately seems to be what happens.

I can’t afford or actual want to afford to pay for HPDE Track Insurance so I have cut out a lot of track events. I use to go 10-15 times a year. No more..I will be lucky to go try and enjoy my car on the track 3-4 times at most a year.

I have thought about and considered driving something else. Some friends are racing these now and having a blast .... http://toysbytink.com/
Old 08-02-2019, 02:45 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is getting expensive and I am not worried about my driving per say but the fluid drop in front of me or the dude that makes a bad decision. I was actually considering a lower cost track ready car or even the Spec Racer Ford which looks like a blast and my SCCA friends love racing them.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:39 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2
It is getting expensive and I am not worried about my driving per say but the fluid drop in front of me or the dude that makes a bad decision. I was actually considering a lower cost track ready car or even the Spec Racer Ford which looks like a blast and my SCCA friends love racing them.
T, I’m driving a Spec Miata at Summit Point right now for 3 days, and I am having a flat out blast. No power, people lapping me every session, flat out through multiple turns, getting smoked by everyone, and having a blast doing it. Go for the Ford.
Totally agree that it’s the things out of your control that scare me most. Fluid, etc.
I may just have to give up my dream of a 3RS for a spec Miata.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:11 PM
Sancho22
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how quickly can one obtain insurance from the above companies?

Trying to decide which one to use for 1-2 events this year and also want to make sure I don't run out of time - thanks.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:15 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

policies are generally instantaneous, certainly within an hour or so of making the application on-line. I have found that opentrack is a bit cheaper and I have been using them for the last few years (no claims).
Old 08-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Digitalwave
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Within a few minutes.

Quick Reply: HPDE insurance