Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS: 1990 964 Carrera 2 black 151k mi SF Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:57 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default FS: 1990 964 Carrera 2 black 151k mi SF Bay Area

Year: 1990
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: 964 C2
Mileage (numbers only please): 151000
Color: Black
Price (no $ sign please): $56000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorCal
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM Stereo

I am offering this nice black-on-black 1990 964 Carrera 2 5-spd, one of 3 C2's I recently purchased to find the right project car, and also, to thoroughly learn about various upgrade options. This was posted by a local RL member not long ago, you can find the ad easily but I'll repeat key info here. I've had it for 3 months now, driven it a lot, done important repairs. When I first drove this car, I was immediately struck by how well it drives, and despite my being a 'no-black-cars' guy, I made an offer and bought it.

At this point, I am in a quandary about whether to keep it (will explain below) and so, I figure I'll offer it to another RL'er at a price that covers my costs. If no takers, I'll just keep it. This is a very nice driver (now that repairs are done). As stated above, the great strength of this car is how well it drives... IMO all surviving 964's have aged differently, having been used, stored and cared for differently over time, and this shows in the personality of the car after almost 30 years... in this case, the basic goodness of the car and proper mods come together really well for an excellent, 'dialed-in' driving experience.

Key facts:

History. California car thru its life back from 25k miles in 1991 (NorCal/Sacramento) per Carfax, 3 prior owners, immediate PO owned it since 2012. Serviced at Sonnen, IPB in Sac, the Stable and Pacific Motors in San Fran, all good shops. Clean Carfax, no title or odometer issues. Engine rebuilt at 67k miles by Sonnen, prematurely, no doubt due to the 89/90 MY engine gaskets problem. Have 2 inch thick binder of service records dating to way back, excellent documentation. Factory options were driver/passenger full power seats, rear wiper and cruise. Panasonic bluetooth head unit was installed by PO.

Powertrain. As mentioned above, engine redone @ 67k mi, clutch redone @ 130K, shifting is crisp, zero synchro laziness. When I saw the car there was clear evidence of a good size oil leak, yet the case was mostly dry -- leak was from the oil return tube to lower oil tank just ahead of passenger side wheel well, now repaired. Normal slight seepage from valve covers remains, you get a drop when parked for a week or more. The PO installed a J pipe, Wevo engine mounts, Steve Wong chip. The engine pulls very strongly with a great, visceral feel and soundtrack. No idle/stalling issues as is common with Wong chips in some 964's. Engine is terrific and does NOT need a reseal.

Suspension. KW V1 coilovers w refreshed bushings, set to a nice ride height. Brakes recently done. I redid the alignment. Car rides firm but is quite streetable. Taut and flat thru corners with enough compliance to not be upset when pushed hard over bumps. Car feels tight and rock solid. This one is one of, if not the tightest, best-feeling 964's I have driven, of the dozens I have been in. They say the 964 was the GT3 before GT3's existed... hardly true in stock form, but this one gives that feeling . Work Brombacher 3 pc 17's (retro cool but also strong/lightweight - 22/23#) and B'Stone RE11's... I learned thru this car that if you run 17's it's best to use a firm sidewall performance tire like these (or MPSS) for the taut, controlled feel; otherwise go 18's... fronts have plenty tread, rears getting close but I have a spare set of RE11's I will mount for the sale.

Cosmetics. Car has been repainted. Repaint is well done and shows nicely as per pics. No underbody rust. Only rust seen is a little bubbling at passenger side A pillar base of windshield. Usual front end patina on hood, bumper, headlight and fog lamp glass. Hood hinge needs adjustment, it is off a bit. Windshield has a small 1/2 in crack on passenger side, which I've repaired, otherwise is very good. Car has stock H5's... I would replace with H4's if I keep the car longer term, or if you do a lot of night driving. Tail lights are fresh, no fading no cracks . Overall exterior is 8.5/10. Interior is stock and easily 9/10 -- dash, plastics, carpet, seat surfaces, shifter, buttons, center console, headliner are all excellent...quite something on a 150k mile car...proof again it's more about owners' attention and care than the miles. Only things I see not 100% are the driver side door pocket spring is out, and the carpet at frunk release side panel is loose (part incoming to address). PO reported the HVAC was non-op, and it was, now the CCU, blower motors and AC are all fully repaired (expensive fix!). Everything now works properly. PO did rear wiper delete, added metal interior door pulls, OMP suede steering wheel, metal pedals set. Steering wheel suede is matted down but looks good and works fine. (Original parts are in hand.)

I have spent 6 grand fixing the oil leak and HVAC, refreshing fluids, alignment, windshield. PO had done major services at 15k mile intervals, oil lines were redone previously, and AC was converted to R134a. If you plan to enjoy this as a driver, it is 100% ready to go. If you want it at 10/10 cosmetics, you would refresh front end paint, pull windshield to get the rust in the seal channel, go H4's and change out a fog light lens (or do bumper brake ducts).

Price. I am offering this for $56K, with said repairs done. If you want a PPI, you pay for it, I can refer you to one of several local indies, I know them all. An SF Bay local buyer is preferred, but will ship at buyer's cost.

If you are local, I invite you to come see it, drive it with me. This car is a perfect example of what the 964 fuss is all about. I just love driving this car. It has an eager-to-run personality, feels/sounds tactile, tight, and connected, quick to respond, spectacular when pushing hard. I am just not sure I can live with a black car long term (I did it once wayyyyy back)...given the nice respray already being done, it would be a shame to repaint this car yet again into a different color. The car presents very well as you can see in the pics. The miles are higher but the engine is very strong and has been rebuilt. Suspension, trans and brakes are fresh and well sorted.

I think given the current 964 C2 market if you want a really dialed-in driver, and like black ones, this one is a really good one. Drive it in its current form, or do the light-weight drill and make it a total beast! Maximum smiles per mile ...

Last edited by golfnutintib; 10-16-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:46 PM
b16gsr
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

what a great ad and a wonderful car, GLWS
Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 AM
RedGard
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish all cars offered on here had such well written and credible descriptions! GLWS!
Old 09-18-2018, 11:39 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Great ad Steve! Black isn’t my color either otherwise I’d be knocking on your door again!
Old 09-19-2018, 03:20 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

great ad, you sure do go through a lot of 964 "project flips" lol . Loved the baltic blue one from a couple of months ago you were selling, is that other one definitely gone?

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post15096672
Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 AM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

This looks really fun! Glws!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:00 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b16gsr
what a great ad and a wonderful car, GLWS
Originally Posted by RedGard
I wish all cars offered on here had such well written and credible descriptions! GLWS!
thx - i try to write the ad in a way that i would like to read it, esp. if i can't see the car in person

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Great ad Steve! Black isn’t my color either otherwise I’d be knocking on your door again!
haha jason, there were others before this black beauty and there'll be others after it

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
great ad, you sure do go through a lot of 964 "project flips" lol . Loved the baltic blue one from a couple of months ago you were selling, is that other one definitely gone?

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post15096672
the baltic blue is happily in the hands of a local RL'er... and he'll be my DE student soon too!

yes, i've been hunting down c2 drivers that are interesting to me... not deterred by higher miles, it all comes down to condition. every one is so different and unique, these are 25-30 year old cars now. for me it is a fun process to thoroughly understand each one, try to think thru the full potential as a project car. i like the modern cars for the track, but for road driving the 964's and 993's are much more involving
Old 09-21-2018, 11:51 PM
sb3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice 964. Now I'm wishing I never sold mine. 😦 GLWS.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Bump for an awesome sorted 964. Don't be scared of miles people, not all miles are equal!
Old 10-02-2018, 10:36 AM
MarkFL
2nd Gear

Can you send me a PM?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 PM
Charlie Dang
4th Gear

Hi OP can you pm me as well, thanks!
Old 10-10-2018, 02:55 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Bump for an awesome sorted 964. Don't be scared of miles people, not all miles are equal!
thx chris
pm's now replied
each time i drive this car i am learning to like black more
i've posted the ad so i will leave it up for a bit longer
Old 10-11-2018, 01:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

everyone wants a 964, this one is priced right.
so......

if you want nicer ones, sure, ping me.
but my C2's are all $120+... but nicer ;-)

so if you want a well priced good car. this is it.
steve's cars are all good cars.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:13 PM
Nine1won
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 31 Posts

Great car, add and seller! Buy w confidence!
Old 10-11-2018, 03:24 PM
bayareasteve
Rennlist Member

I've met, and bought parts from this seller...great guy....honest...knowledgeable...to the point...

Quick Reply: FS: 1990 964 Carrera 2 black 151k mi SF Bay Area