Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

2008 Porsche Carrera S with TPC Racing Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 04:46 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Default 2008 Porsche Carrera S with TPC Racing Turbo Kit

Year: 2008
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Mileage (numbers only please): 53000
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof, Traction Control
Color: Meteor Grey Metallic
VIN: WP0AB29928S731038
Price (no $ sign please): $37900
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Texas
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

More pictures linked at the bottom.

Summary:
I purchased this car in November 2015 and have really enjoyed driving it, but I’ve got a new toy and don’t have enough room to keep them all.

The car is a 2008 Carrera S with a TPC Racing Turbo kit that’s been enhanced by David Hart and his team at Proto Tech in Fort Lauderdale, FL. The car makes an estimated 500+hp at the crank though I usually keep the boost setting on low (~3.5lbs) which is good for ~425hp and gobs of low/mid-range torque. The boost is very linear and responsive, and feels like a big motor car, not laggy/peaky like the factory turbo. The car’s handling has also been upgraded with a TPC Racing Stage 1 Suspension Kit including adjustable front and rear sway bars and drop links. Together, this combination makes for a very fun car – it’s got factory 997 turbo levels of power on the high boost setting, but with lighter, tighter handling, similar to that of the 997 GT3. I’ve had friends with both factory cars drive this one and they agree with the assessment – it runs awesome and is a blast to drive.

I am the 3rd owner and the car has a clean CarFax report. Car is located in Houston, Texas and is in excellent condition and needs nothing except a new owner. Passes Texas inspections/emissions. You won’t find a nicer, faster 997 at this price. I’ll be selling through my dealer/consignor for trade-in purposes, so you may see the car listed elsewhere under a different name. I’m happy to take additional pictures or any answer questions.

Mods / Upgrades:
- TPC Racing Turbo Kit – http://www.tpcracing.com/tpc-997-996-turbo-kit.html
- TPC Racing Stage 1 Suspension Kit – http://www.tpcracing.com/997-stage-1-suspension.html
- Numeric Racing Shift Cables – https://cantrellmotorsport.com/produ...hifter-cables/
- GT3RS Alcantara Steering Wheel -- https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/GT3RSWHEEL.html
- GT3 Alcantara Shifter ****/Boot – https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997GT3KNOB.html
- 19” AG Ruger Mesh Alloy Wheels -- https://www.elementwheels.com/wheels...rug-mesh1911hs
- Tooki Bluetooth hands-free phone integration with NAV -- https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT01...i-porsche.html
- Greddy Profec B Spec II electronic boost controller

Maintenance:
The car had a bunch of maintenance done prior to my purchase, including an engine refresh done by Proto Tech around 40k miles and new tires, TPMS, brake pads, rotors, AOS replaced, and more around 45k miles – I have receipts for the big stuff ($$$$$).

Comes with factory books/manuals and receipts for the maintenance items below. Since I bought the car, I essentially baselined/replaced all the consumables including:
- New Mobil 1 5w-50 every 3000 miles
- New Mobilube PTX 75w-90for gearbox – really helps with cold shifting
- New Porsche coolant
- New Pierburg water pump
- New 170F thermostat
- New AEM Dryflow (oil-free) air filter
- New Bosch MAF
- New Bosch o2 sensors
- New Bosch FR5DTC plugs
- New hood and engine lid air springs
- New windshield cowl plastic (the original one was faded and cracking)
- New wiper blades
- New center caps and lug nuts
- New battery
- New error-free color matched LEDs lights on DRLs and turn signals

Other Items / Repairs:
- Tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sports in good condition with plenty of useful life.
- The TPC turbo intake piping was upgraded with custom hard plastic and silicon hose piping. It’s a much more robust setup, and looks/performs better than the flex hose that TPC uses.
- The TPC PCV system was upgraded with a part from the factory Cayenne Turbo PCV system (aka the “turbo check valves”) to better manage crankcase ventilation.
- Installed an insulated, larger (AN-10) turbo oil drain line and piping and installed a new turbo blanket.
- Fixed some minor exhaust leaks. Car sounds very sporty, without being loud or droning. Nice, deep growl at idle; quiet at cruise; big wail at full rip.
- Replaced aftermarket tail/wing with factory elevating engine spoiler (aftermarket tail is still available, if interested).
- Replaced NAV faceplate with new one (the original faceplate was missing a button).
- Key shell upgraded to 997.2 style (black).

Issues:
- Well, if you’re a Porsche purist, it has an aftermarket turbo. Otherwise, nothing major.
- Paint has a few very small rock chips here and there which have been touched up. Finish is otherwise in very good condition.
- Wheels have several chips in the paint on each. Most are not noticeable from 5’. One minor patch of curb rash (1”) on left rear rim.
- Typical 997 minor scuffs on black plastic sill plate and center console. Appropriate for the age/mileage of the car.
- Left-side drink holder flips out too quickly, instead of slow and controlled like right side. I don’t ever use them anyway.
- I only have one key that’s programmed to the car. I bought a second factory key (included with purchase) but never got to the dealer to have it programmed.

Porsche VIN Decoder:
Division: PCNA
Commission #: 651376
Prod Month: 10/2007
VIN: WP0AB29928S731038
Price: $95,765.00
Exterior: Meteor Grey Metallic
Interior: Black Standard Leather
Warranty Start: January 02, 2009
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
404 19" Turbo Wheel
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Navigation Module for PCM
680 Bose High End Sound Package
810 Floor Mats in Interior Color
9Q Meteor Grey Metallic
AN Black Standard Leather
P15 Power Seat Package
XLF Sport Exhaust System

More Pictures
Pictures my consignor took: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6slai4wxx...kdlMOF-Ja?dl=0
Pictures I took: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TPSNZTcyuBirPF423

Last edited by Brainz; 03-13-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Price Drop
Old 02-24-2018, 06:16 PM
Cayman718
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great aftermarket choices!

Ever been smoked in?

Stock exhaust?

(thank you)
Old 02-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

The car has not been smoked in to my knowledge - - there's definitely no smoke odor.

The TPC turbo kit completely replaces the exhaust. I believe it is 2.25" or 2.5" primaries to the turbo (which resides where the factory muffler would sit under passenger rear fender) and then there's a large 3" exhaust post turbo with a straight through muffler. You can see some of the pictures exhaust on the TPC website linked above. It's got a great sound - - it's growly at idle and comfortable at cruise and howls under full boost when the wastegate opens (which is only when you're flogging it).
Old 02-26-2018, 02:27 PM
VR46
AutoX

Default Engine Refresh?

What do you mean by engine refresh? was it rebuilt, and if so do you know why? what was changed/upgraded? Was the IMS replaced? Also, how long ago was the turbo put in?

Thanks,
Denis
Old 02-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Per the prior owner (and as implied by the Car Fax record), the car had the TPC kit installed circa 2012 when the car had around 12-13k miles on it.

Per a conversation with Proto Tech, one of the pistons suffered a cracked ring which manifested in smoking and rough running around 40k miles. Proto Tech went through the engine and found there was no damage to the engine except the cracked ring. It was explained to me that Proto Tech replaced and regapped all the rings (somewhat wider to allow for more expansion on a turbo engine), replaced necessary seals/gaskets, polished the valves and refaced valve seats, set timing, and otherwise reassembled the engine. I'll have to check, but I do not believe the IMS was done as it was reportedly deemed as not needed.

Also, per a PM request I got, the maintenance items I list above were generally done in the first 6 months of my ownership -- mostly me getting to know the car by baselining all fluids and consumables that weren't listed as having been previously done by Proto Tech. While the car was running well when I got it, I wanted the peace of mind of knowing that all the consumables were in top condition.

The following maintenance/changes (which are pretty standard practice for 997s) did improve the running of the car:
1) PTX gear oil -- which improved shifting when cold.
2) Replacement of the thermostat, waterpump, and coolant as a proactive means of [successfully] keeping engine temps down. Prior to the 170F thermostat, the engine would run around 220F in the Houston summer heat. After changing to the cooler thermostat, the car runs around 200F in regular driving and up to 225F if you push on it.
3) Replacement of the intake tract piping (which had some small leaks) and the MAF/air filter. The MAF had been fouled by the oil from the original oiled air filter and made low RPM responsiveness slightly rough. With the new intake, MAF, and oil-less filter the car runs great at all speeds/temps.

I've not done had to do any maintenance other than oil changes since mid-2016.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:12 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Answer to another common question: I did not track the car and the prior owner reported that he did not track the car either.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:09 PM
2000m2
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

This looks like a lot of fun! Good luck with the sale.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Note: Wheels are 19" with widths/offsets that fill the wheel wells. Rear tire is a 305. Also, AFAIK the car is riding on factory springs and has not been lowered. That said, the TPC sways add a nice, flat, sporty feel without beating you up on rough roads.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Challenger 440-6
1st Gear

Still available?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Yes. Still available. PM me for contact details.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Price drop.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:30 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Bump
Old 03-21-2018, 02:40 PM
mikef18
1st Gear

Brainz,
not sure how to PM you, can you email me fontanam@bellsouth.net or PM me about this car. This is exactly what I wanted to build.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikef18
Brainz,
not sure how to PM you, can you email me fontanam@bellsouth.net or PM me about this car. This is exactly what I wanted to build.
Thanks for the interest. I've sent an email with my contact info to the above address.

Quick Reply: 2008 Porsche Carrera S with TPC Racing Turbo Kit