Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1996 993 Carrera 2 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 04:00 PM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SOLD--1996 993 Carrera 2 Coupe

Year: 1996
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Mileage (numbers only please): 37850
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Cruise Control, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof, Traction Control
Color: Gurads Red
VIN: WP0AA2996TS323184
Price (no $ sign please): $70000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

Offered for sale is my 1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2. The car is Guards Red with Cashmere interior. It has been treated as a Garage Queen in that it stays garaged and covered most of the time, but when it goes out (only in good weather) I drive it seriously and have fun. So it does not sit around “rotting” as some would suggest. I have detailed records of annual mileage during my ownership and that ranges from 1800+ on the high end to 930+ on the low end. It gets driven every month it’s out of storage. That said the car is in nearly pristine condition and has been well-maintained. I have one key as a switchblade, and one key fobbed with the old switchblade container attached.

I purchased the car in September 2009 with 24,000+ miles on the clock; it currently sits at 38,000+ miles. When the car is out for the season, it sits on a trickle charger when not driven (included in the sale). During the winter months here in Ohio, I store it at a friend’s heated garage from Jan 1st through mid-April. During that storage I top off the fuel tank, disconnect the battery, add pressure to the tires and cover it…..that’s it. No other special procedures are used for storage and it starts right up every time!
I am the 6th owner. The first four owners put a total of 16,000+ miles on the car. The PO put less than 10,000 and I have about 14,000. The car has been impeccably maintained since its purchase and I have complete service and modification records including receipts and an EXCEL spreadsheet documenting everything since its purchase. I have done nearly all the work on the car myself since I purchased it with the exception of spark plug change and belts at 30,000 miles. That was done by a 993-owning indy mechanic here in the area. The car is in excellent condition and has never been tracked or wrecked (see rear bumper cover item below). The engine burns no oil beyond the Porsche factory specs (one litre per 1000 miles)…..I add half a quart per 1200 miles generally. The tool kit and compressor are included, and the compressor was successfully tested inflating the spare at the 30,000 mile service.

Stock options (see photo album for photo of option codes):
I have a PCA COA and the original window sticker
Porsche floor mats
AM/FM radio with CD player
Torque limited slip differential with ABD
Hi-Fi sound package with 10 speakers
Infrared security system
The original 17” wheels have been replaced as have the Porsche crest rim caps
Previous owners penned in option codes, presumably to reflect mods added

Post-production mods to the car:
The ECU is a 1997 993 ECU flashed by Steve Weiner in Portland adding 10-15% HP (Steve’s estimate)
(The original ECU will sell with the car)
I have performed the “spoiler mod” (it’s easily reversible) which converts the spoiler to completely manual
Bilstein HD shocks and M030 springs were added to lower the car
18” Sport Edition Cup 3 wheels from Tire Rack
Max Speed Stainless Steel headers, bypass tubes and mufflers (sounds really GREAT!!)
Aluminum pedals from Ultimate Aluminum
When purchased several of the third brake light bulbs were out, so I converted the whole assembly to LEDs
One of the POs drilled the engine filter box to replicate the “motor sound” package pattern
Three spoke 996 steering wheel with colored Porsche crest
Porsche First Aid kit was added to the frunk (this First Aid Kit is no longer available from Porsche in the U.S.)
Car was wired for a Valentine 1 mounted on the mirror (I can include the mounting bracket if you wish)
Red and black Coco floor mats and rear deck mat (I also have the original “Carrera” floor mats)

The Good (things I love about this car):
The interior of the car is in pristine condition. The driver’s seat has some minor abrasion on the bolster (see picture). The car still possesses the leather aroma.
The flashed ECU makes the car pull really aggressively starting about 3500-4000 RPM and that exhaust sounds great!!
The car is a real head-turner….I get looks and thumbs-up everywhere I go.
The car is completely dry on the bottom…..no leaks whatsoever.
30,000 mile service is complete and the spoiler wall was replaced in 2010

The Bad (things that you will need to know about):
The minor wear on the driver’s seat bolster (see pic)
One of the wheels has some minor curbing (see pics)
Shortly after purchase I discovered one of the engine oil return tubes was bent and not leaking. The PO had no knowledge of when or where, and since it is not leaking (and has not to date in 13,000 miles and almost eight years of use) I have left well enough alone based on my mechanic’s recommendation.
When the new, flashed ECU was installed, it created a false immobilizer warning light due to an electrical incompatibility. While the immobilizer continues to work perfectly, the light stays on. So I’ve removed the bulb.
The rear bumper cover was banged and cracked very slightly. It has been professionally repaired and painted (off the car) and the color match is spot on.

To-Do List (things I would address if I were keeping the car):
The SAI valve has not been replaced. I purchased a crow’s foot and had it professionally machined to spec (at a cost of $55) and when I got in there I could not get that damn thing loose after three days of trying, so I punted. I’ve intended to go back and try again….but just have not. I’ve never gotten a CEL, and will include that crow’s foot and the new SAI valve I bought in the sale.
I purchased the kit for the “squeaky windshield” fix because I thought I had the problem. It has not developed and so I’ll include those parts as well.
I’d address that spot on the driver’s seat bolster. Had one firm look and give me an estimate, but just wasn’t convinced they could do the right job.
Next time I needed new tires I was going to refinish the wheels in a light gun metal gray…I think that’d look great!

Other Goodies Included in the Sale:
Carnewal indoor red car cover sporting Porsche crest
Coverking custom windshield sun shade
Full set of Porsche maintenance service manuals in eight three ring binder volumes (>$500 value)
2003 edition, three volume set of “Porsche-Excellence Was Expected”, by Karl Ludvigsen in slipcase (my cost $300)
“Porsche 993 The Essential Companion”, by Adrian Streather ($100 value)
Bently Publishing “Porsche 911 Carrera Service Manual” ($150 value)
“Porsche 911 Story” by Paul Frere
“Porsche 911-Perfection by Design” by Randy Leffingwell
“Up-fixen der Porsche” Vols. 10 and 11
Road and Track Porsche 911 Portfolio compendium of road tests including the 993
“Tech Notes II The Best of Excellence Tech Notes” supplement
Three-ring binder full of vintage 993 road tests and reviews from back in the day
Vintage Porsche marketing package including pamphlets, a book on the 993, videos and other paraphernalia
A framed marketing picture featuring a Guards Red 993 extolling the virtues of the last hand-made Porsche

This is a great value, package deal (buyer takes it all) and the asking price is $70,000. This is a pristine example of a low mileage 993 with a nice set of tasteful and appropriate mods that do not change the beautiful lines (and add greatly to the sound, looks and performance) of this classic, “last-of-the-air-cooled” Porsches. I’m selling because I’ve had a great relationship with the car and loved working on it, but I’m nearly 70 years old. I’m getting tired of crawling around on a cold garage floor and too stubborn to pay someone for work I can do myself….it’s just time!! This is a car for the right buyer who will respect and cherish it as all previous owners have. I have confidence that any such potential owner will be respectful in proffering a buying opportunity.

Last edited by DanL993; 05-29-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:34 PM
THJR
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Great write up!
Is it original paint on all metal panels? Any blends?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:30 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by THJR
Great write up!
Is it original paint on all metal panels? Any blends?
I believe the paint is unaltered, and no blends, with the exception of the rear bumper cover I addressed.

There is an entry in the records from 2001 of "L/F has dent by headlamp" which was addressed by "Dent Wizard" as a subcontractor to Porsche of Fairfield for a grand total of $95.00. My understanding is that is was minor and repaired by dent removal as opposed to body work. In any case I cannot discern any place where there was work. I have not done any in-depth paint scanning.

Hope that helps.....trying to be fully open here as Rennlisters demand.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:09 PM
gwhitaker49
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am interested in your 993

Originally Posted by DanL993
Offered for sale is my 1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2. The car is Guards Red with Cashmere interior. It has been treated as a Garage Queen in that it stays garaged and covered most of the time, but when it goes out (only in good weather) I drive it seriously and have fun. So it does not sit around “rotting” as some would suggest. I have detailed records of annual mileage during my ownership and that ranges from 1800+ on the high end to 930+ on the low end. It gets driven every month it’s out of storage. That said the car is in nearly pristine condition and has been well-maintained. I have one key as a switchblade, and one key fobbed with the old switchblade container attached.

I purchased the car in September 2009 with 24,000+ miles on the clock; it currently sits at 37,800+ miles. When the car is out for the season, it sits on a trickle charger when not driven (included in the sale). During the winter months here in Ohio, I store it at a friend’s heated garage from Jan 1st through mid-April. During that storage I top off the fuel tank, disconnect the battery, add pressure to the tires and cover it…..that’s it. No other special procedures are used for storage and it starts right up every time!
I am the 6th owner. The first four owners put a total of 16,000+ miles on the car. The PO put less than 10,000 and I have about 14,000. The car has been impeccably maintained since its purchase and I have complete service and modification records including receipts and an EXCEL spreadsheet documenting everything since its purchase. I have done nearly all the work on the car myself since I purchased it with the exception of spark plug change and belts at 30,000 miles. That was done by a 993-owning indy mechanic here in the area. The car is in excellent condition and has never been tracked or wrecked (see rear bumper cover item below). The engine burns no oil beyond the Porsche factory specs (one litre per 1000 miles)…..I add half a quart per 1200 miles generally. The tool kit and compressor are included, and the compressor was successfully tested inflating the spare at the 30,000 mile service.

Stock options (see photo album for photo of option codes):
I have a PCA COA and the original window sticker
Porsche floor mats
AM/FM radio with CD player
Torque limited slip differential with ABD
Hi-Fi sound package with 10 speakers
Infrared security system
The original 17” wheels have been replaced as have the Porsche crest rim caps
Previous owners penned in option codes, presumably to reflect mods added

Post-production mods to the car:
The ECU is a 1997 993 ECU flashed by Steve Weiner in Portland adding 10-15% HP (Steve’s estimate)
(The original ECU will sell with the car)
I have performed the “spoiler mod” (it’s easily reversible) which converts the spoiler to completely manual
Bilstein HD shocks and M030 springs were added to lower the car
18” Sport Edition Cup 3 wheels from Tire Rack
Max Speed Stainless Steel headers, bypass tubes and mufflers (sounds really GREAT!!)
Aluminum pedals from Ultimate Aluminum
When purchased several of the third brake light bulbs were out, so I converted the whole assembly to LEDs
One of the POs drilled the engine filter box to replicate the “motor sound” package pattern
Three spoke 996 steering wheel with colored Porsche crest
Porsche First Aid kit was added to the frunk (this First Aid Kit is no longer available from Porsche in the U.S.)
Car was wired for a Valentine 1 mounted on the mirror (I can include the mounting bracket if you wish)
Red and black Coco floor mats and rear deck mat (I also have the original “Carrera” floor mats)

The Good (things I love about this car):
The interior of the car is in pristine condition. The driver’s seat has some minor abrasion on the bolster (see picture). The car still possesses the leather aroma.
The flashed ECU makes the car pull really aggressively starting about 3500-4000 RPM and that exhaust sounds great!!
The car is a real head-turner….I get looks and thumbs-up everywhere I go.
The car is completely dry on the bottom…..no leaks whatsoever.
30,000 mile service is complete and the spoiler wall was replaced in 2010

The Bad (things that you will need to know about):
The minor wear on the driver’s seat bolster (see pic)
One of the wheels has some minor curbing (see pics)
Shortly after purchase I discovered one of the engine oil return tubes was bent and not leaking. The PO had no knowledge of when or where, and since it is not leaking (and has not to date in 13,000 miles and almost eight years of use) I have left well enough alone based on my mechanic’s recommendation.
When the new, flashed ECU was installed, it created a false immobilizer warning light due to an electrical incompatibility. While the immobilizer continues to work perfectly, the light stays on. So I’ve removed the bulb.
The rear bumper cover was banged and cracked very slightly. It has been professionally repaired and painted (off the car) and the color match is spot on.

To-Do List (things I would address if I were keeping the car):
The SAI valve has not been replaced. I purchased a crow’s foot and had it professionally machined to spec (at a cost of $55) and when I got in there I could not get that damn thing loose after three days of trying, so I punted. I’ve intended to go back and try again….but just have not. I’ve never gotten a CEL, and will include that crow’s foot and the new SAI valve I bought in the sale.
I purchased the kit for the “squeaky windshield” fix because I thought I had the problem. It has not developed and so I’ll include those parts as well.
I’d address that spot on the driver’s seat bolster. Had one firm look and give me an estimate, but just wasn’t convinced they could do the right job.
Next time I needed new tires I was going to refinish the wheels in a light gun metal gray…I think that’d look great!

Other Goodies Included in the Sale:
Carnewal indoor red car cover sporting Porsche crest
Coverking custom windshield sun shade
Full set of Porsche maintenance service manuals in eight three ring binder volumes (>$500 value)
2003 edition, three volume set of “Porsche-Excellence Was Expected”, by Karl Ludvigsen in slipcase (my cost $300)
“Porsche 993 The Essential Companion”, by Adrian Streather ($100 value)
Bently Publishing “Porsche 911 Carrera Service Manual” ($150 value)
“Porsche 911 Story” by Paul Frere
“Porsche 911-Perfection by Design” by Randy Leffingwell
“Up-fixen der Porsche” Vols. 10 and 11
Road and Track Porsche 911 Portfolio compendium of road tests including the 993
“Tech Notes II The Best of Excellence Tech Notes” supplement
Three-ring binder full of vintage 993 road tests and reviews from back in the day
Vintage Porsche marketing package including pamphlets, a book on the 993, videos and other paraphernalia
A framed marketing picture featuring a Guards Red 993 extolling the virtues of the last hand-made Porsche

This is a great value, package deal (buyer takes it all) and the asking price is $70,000. This is a pristine example of a low mileage 993 with a nice set of tasteful and appropriate mods that do not change the beautiful lines (and add greatly to the sound, looks and performance) of this classic, “last-of-the-air-cooled” Porsches. I’m selling because I’ve had a great relationship with the car and loved working on it, but I’m nearly 70 years old. I’m getting tired of crawling around on a cold garage floor and too stubborn to pay someone for work I can do myself….it’s just time!! This is a car for the right buyer who will respect and cherish it as all previous owners have. I have confidence that any such potential owner will be respectful in proffering a buying opportunity.

I will be in the Cincinnati area tomorrow. I don't know exactly where you are, but I would be interested in taking a look at your car while I am there. Is that possible? Email me at gwhitaker49@gmail.com or call me at 859-585-3976.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:07 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts
Thumbs up "Buy the Seller not the Car"

Originally Posted by DanL993
I believe the paint is unaltered, and no blends, with the exception of the rear bumper cover I addressed.

There is an entry in the records from 2001 of "L/F has dent by headlamp" which was addressed by "Dent Wizard" as a subcontractor to Porsche of Fairfield for a grand total of $95.00. My understanding is that is was minor and repaired by dent removal as opposed to body work. In any case I cannot discern any place where there was work. I have not done any in-depth paint scanning.

Hope that helps.....trying to be fully open here as Rennlisters demand.
Buy.

My kind of seller, I am all stocked on 993s.. but this is a very well kept example and documented verifiable history. Good Luck With Sale, next owner will be a very happy camper.. Pay this gentleman full price and forget about it. Just the documentation indexing work alone is worth $5K in my estimation. I know I would expect it if never decide to sell. Yes never!. Porsche On!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:51 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by gwhitaker49
I will be in the Cincinnati area tomorrow. I don't know exactly where you are, but I would be interested in taking a look at your car while I am there. Is that possible? Email me at gwhitaker49@gmail.com or call me at 859-585-3976.
This might work mid to late afternoon. I just sent you an email with my cell phone number. Let me know.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by JAB12
Buy.

My kind of seller, I am all stocked on 993s.. but this is a very well kept example and documented verifiable history. Good Luck With Sale, next owner will be a very happy camper.. Pay this gentleman full price and forget about it. Just the documentation indexing work alone is worth $5K in my estimation. I know I would expect it if never decide to sell. Yes never!. Porsche On!
Thanks for the kind words. There definitely is a part of me that resists selling!!
Old 05-10-2018, 04:46 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts
Cool

I really like the Red and Black Coco Mats! I need to buy a set. Guards Red 993's look so good!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:39 AM
DanL993
button queen

Bump
Old 05-19-2018, 09:06 PM
unwind5
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in your car. Please contact me at 815-978-8677 to discuss.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-20-2018, 06:51 AM
DanL993
button queen

Joe,

Thanks for your interest. Will call you Sunday after about 9:00 a.m.

EDIT: Missed you at 9:30. You have a PM.

Last edited by DanL993; 05-20-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:03 AM
DanL993
button queen

Bump

Quick Reply: 1996 993 Carrera 2 Coupe