Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

FS: Porsche PIWIS Tester

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 AM
ckacyon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS: Porsche PIWIS Tester

Category: Audio/Video/Electronics
Price (no $ sign please): $6000
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern
Item Condition: Used

Very rare and hard to find genuine PIWIS tester. Comes with cable, power supply, tester and case. This works 100%, no problems.

Running Version 31 software, so no worries about the "time bomb" which Porsche built in in the last version of these things to kill them once they decided to introduce the PIWIS II.

This will enable servicing of 997 PDK cars (for the oil change procedure), as well as obviously all diagnostics and coding.

Works with all cars up to 981/991, the new Cayenne, and the Panamera. You would need a different cable to service all of the "round plug" cars, such as 993/ 964/ 928/ 968, etc. Please ask if there are any questions.

Asking $6000 since this item is nearly impossible to find.

Thanks for looking.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:45 PM
ckacyon
Track Day

To everyone who has asked:

This is NOT a Chinese knockoff PIWIS. There's a story floating around the interweb somewhere of a guy who bought one of the $6000 Chinese knockoff PIWIS II's, and he was incredibly thankful that he paid via a credit card and not via wire transfer (as the seller had "preferred"), as the POS he got via DHL a week later was a giant paperweight.

To everyone asking, you're correct in that Porsche originally leased these machines to licensed dealers and "select independent service providers" for $15,000/ year.

Now, with reference to the PIWIS II, no one but a dealer can get one of these (well, at least one that works). Porsche finally figured out how to control all this with the PIWIS II. Not only are the units only available to licensed Porsche dealers for an $18,000 per year lease, but the units only work when connected via the internet back to Porsche AG in Germany, as nothing is stored on the actual computer anymore. Every request for coding comes down in real time from Porsche AG.

Now, moving on to the PIWIS I, which was available to dealers and "select independent service providers" for a $15,000 per year lease. The PIWIS I, however, was a standalone system, which could be updated periodically, however has no "call home" functionality built in to function.

Version 31 was the last usable version (for people like you and me now), as in Version 32 Porsche added a "time bomb" to the coding, which shut down all PIWIS I's in 2011 (it was actually embedded into the BIOS). The last version was Version 34, and there are no practical differences between 31 and 34.

This machine is running Version 31, so has no "time bomb" which will render it useless (and is somewhat rare in that it was never updated beyond 31).

Essentially, Porsche wasn't terribly good about going around collecting PIWIS I's when they introduced the II's, so there is a small smattering of PIWIS I's floating around the private market (it would appear more so in Europe), and I just happen to have one sitting on my desk at the moment.

The PIWIS I will allow you to work on all cars up to the current 981/991, the new Cayenne, and the Panamera (all of which require a PIWIS II).

Of particular note, using a PIWIS is the only way to service a PDK gearbox (during the oil change procedure).

I will absolutely guarantee that this unit will function as advertised- i.e. you'll be able to work on any 997/ 996/ Boxster/ Cayman/ first gen Cayenne/ and, if you get the round cable adapter, 993/ 964/ 944/ 968/ 928, etc.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:39 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by newobdtool
what kind of laptop you supply with porsche piwis tester ii?
You're asking about PIWIS I. PIWIS II is a stand alone laptop-like computer with built-in software (that links to the mothership).

FWIW, this is a very good deal on a PIWIS I. No relations whatsoever to the seller.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:57 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Are the workshop manuals embeded in the software? What date is V31?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 PM
ckacyon
Track Day

Bumping this as I have another for sale, exact same specs, etc.

Regarding the last question: It has all the diagrams, etc. as you would expect with fault finding procedures, etc. Not sure on the date exactly, let me try and find out.

PM me if interested. I've sold one before to a very happy buyer and it was tested by a Porsche tech before sale completed. Thanks for looking.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts
Default PIWIS

Why is this one $6k when the other was $2,500? Aside from OEM vs aftermarket, what does this PIWIS tester allow you to do that can't be done with a Durametric Pro cable?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts
Default PIWIS

I see the difference now - one is a self contained unit and the other a PC based setup. Still curious about what makes this better than Durametric though.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 PM
dhahlen
Rennlist Member

Key programming, ecu cloning, etc.

Great if you have a bad or faulty DME and need to clone it to a new one.

Also same with your keys, required it to be paired with sensor in car.

There are other benefits as well.

For the non-mechanic or someone who needs to read codes and do very minor things, the durametric is fine.

This is for someone who spends more time under the hood or has a streak of bad luck with failing parts, lol. Also good for multiple cars... shop owner, etc.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:59 PM
ckacyon
Track Day

Deposit pending on this unit, so sale is on hold for now. Thanks for looking.

Petza: Looks like most questions were answered, but this can definitely do far more than Durametric. Granted, for the recreational Porsche-phile, it's probably not something they need. This is more for shops, etc. They fetch big money as a result.

I don't get them cheap and I'm not going to sell them cheap; Not gouging either, just making sure I cover my expenses and time to source this.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:28 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petza914
I see the difference now - one is a self contained unit and the other a PC based setup. Still curious about what makes this better than Durametric though.
Call Durametric and they will tell you they can't touch the piwis, not even key programming. I have both a 1 and 2, didn't pay near the asking. Makes me want to sell mine if I could get $12K

Fronkenstein
Old 07-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Ummm... You realize this thread is a couple of years old, right?
Old 07-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Yeah but I figure it doesn't hurt to keep it current. I've found good info from latent posts. And it gives an indication of the trend. Besides I like talking to myself and it got you to respond

Fronkenstein

Quick Reply: FS: Porsche PIWIS Tester