Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Voltphreaks Battery 15% RL Group Purchase Discount!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:23 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 363 Posts

Category: Accessories
Price (no $ sign please): $0
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 356, 911, 912, 914, 924/931/944/951/968, 928, 964, 986, 987, 993, 996, 997, Cayenne, Cayman, Carrera GT, Panamera, Race Car
Location (Region): NorthEast
Item Condition: Brand New

Originally Posted by moralman
Was wondering which model is suitable for a daily driver?
If you're ok with a 7 lb. unit vs. 5 lb. unit, the VPH 900 may be the best choice for you. 950 Cranking Amps, 520 Cold Cranking Amps, and rated to -140 degrees.

For a few dollars more, the VPR P6 offers comparable starting power, yet weighs only 5.25 lbs. The VPR series are also rated to -140 degrees.

Here are are the summary tables courtesy of Voltphreaks. You can reach out to Rennline to inquire further.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:30 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Thanks eddieb4 and tuonoR - we're half way there!

1. Foxman
2. Foxman
3. clsund1
4. eddieb4
5. tuonoR
Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 PM
destroid
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Put me down for one, Thanks.

Already have the Rennline VPR-P6 mount - adding lightness
Old 01-12-2018, 07:22 AM
rallymini
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too Please
Old 01-12-2018, 04:04 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Thanks destroid and rallymini- - just three more purchasers and we are there!

1. Foxman
2. Foxman
3. clsund1
4. eddieb4
5. tuonoR
6. desstroid
7. rallymini
Old 01-12-2018, 08:42 PM
Vento_aaa
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had an Anti-gravity li-ion battery in another car and the continuous current drain would kill the battery in 3 weeks if it wasn't driven when the battery was brand now. Now after 1 year of more or less daily usage, it'll only hold 1 week. And the Anti-gravity battery (its 9lbs btw) is a direct bolt in w/o any extra adapters need and its only around $600. Given the lack of ability to remain charged, it was at least equipped with circuitry that would disconnect the battery from the car when voltage dropped below a certain amount. There is a button on it that you push to reenable it and then you can still start the car even after it "runs down". Nice feature vs not being able to start the car at all. But if you get in your car and do anything BUT start it, you can kill the li-ion battery super quick (like leaving the stereo on for even a little bit before starting). Only a certain model of Voltphreaks has the auto cut off I think and it was one of the pricier ones.

In summary, after 1 year of use I ended up going back to a traditional battery b/c it was more trouble than it was worth unless you are out for nothing but lap times. But if you insist on trying, the Anti-gravity RS-20 is a bit cheaper way to experiment with the added nice features of it being a drop in and it has the auto cut off built in. Anyway, m $0.02.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:34 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

That's great feedback Mike, and precisely why I'm buying the Voltphreaks VPR-P6, and not the Antigravity RS-20.

Many of these cars suffer from parasitic drain. Even with a full size Bosch battery, many cars will go dead after two or three weeks if not hooked up to a trickle charger (you mention daily use, but cite two to three week respites as the problem). The Antigravity battery is no exception, and as many have noted you have to keep them on a trickle charger. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post14087580 Thankfully the RS 20 has the cool feature you note that puts the battery into sleep mode when it starts to run down too low, and that preserves enough power in the battery to restart the car. But you still need to trickle charge regularly.

But the Voltphreaks battery goes one step further. The VPR P6 has a built in on/off switch with remote capability. This is a great safety feature on the track, but it also means you can eliminate parasitic drain by simply pressing the remote and turning the battery off. Other benefits of Voltphreaks: The Voltphreaks is rated to - 22 degrees compared to Antigravity at -4 degrees, with the VPR P6 rated at 500 cold cranking amps (the Antigravity has no CCA rating, it can't work at those temps). The Voltphreaks has 32 amp hours capacity compared to Antigravity at only 20 amp hours. The Voltphreaks can be deep cycled - the Anyigravity battery can't (which explains why you needed a new battery). And Voltphreaks provides all those features and additional power in a package that weighs half as much as the Antigravity battery!

Have a closer look at the VPR P6, and you'll see that it's really worth the extra few dollars. The improved technology largely eliminates the problems that you experienced. No one likes to hear click, click, click when you turn the key.

Last edited by Foxman; 01-14-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:49 AM
Vento_aaa
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foxman
That's great feedback Mike, and precisely why I'm buying the Voltphreaks VPR-9, and not the Antigravity RS-20.

Many of these cars suffer from parasitic drain. Even with a full size Bosch battery, many cars will go dead after two or three weeks if not hooked up to a trickle charger (you mention daily use, but cite two to three week respites as the problem). The Antigravity battery is no exception, and as many have noted you have to keep them on a trickle charger. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post14087580 Thankfully the RS 20 has the cool feature you note that puts the battery into sleep mode when it starts to run down too low, and that preserves enough power in the battery to restart the car. But you still need to trickle charge regularly.

But the Voltphreaks battery goes one step further. The VPR 9 has a built in on/off switch with remote capability. This is a great safety feature on the track, but it also means you can eliminate parasitic drain by simply pressing the remote and turning the battery off. Other benefits of Voltphreaks: The Voltphreaks is rated to - 22 degrees compared to Antigravity at -4 degrees, with the VPR 9 rated at 500 cold cranking amps (the Antigravity has no CCA rating, it can't work at those temps). The Voltphreaks has 32 amp hours capacity compared to Antigravity at only 20 amp hours. The Voltphreaks can be deep cycled - the Anyigravity battery can't (which explains why you needed a new battery). And Voltphreaks provides all those features and additional power in a package that weighs half as much as the Antigravity battery!

Have a closer look at the VPR 9, and you'll see that it's really worth the extra few dollars. The improved technology largely eliminates the problems that you experienced. No one likes to hear click, click, click when you turn the key.
My car is/was daily driven with the exception of a few vacations and business trips here and there that left it unused for 2-3 weeks a few times. It may be a bit different behavior between the two in terms of cell manufacturer and circuitry used to control charging/behavior, but lithium ion chemistry is lithium ion chemistry. They will all eventually suffer the same fate and they don't last as long as a 40 lb traditional car battery and they won't run accessories for very long _at all_ if you get side tracked getting into your car and leave the stereo or interior lights on while you fire off an email or two. I knew this and still wanted the gloriously light weight option of a li-ion solution but ended up switching back just a week ago. I don't think people shouldn't try it or anything, just letting folks know about some potential concerns depending on how you use your car. Some cars probably have more parasitic power drain than others too which changes the experience (thinking mine is on the high side which maybe made things worse).

All that said I'm still tempted to try the experiment all over again :P but for now I'm going to sit on the side lines and wait till another one of my vehicle's battery dies before trying again. By then hopefully they are cheaper at least if not a bit better performing as well. I look forward to hearing everyone's experience down the road.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:50 AM
slavik
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m in for 1
Old 01-14-2018, 01:44 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Slavik,

That brings the total count to eight, with just two more to go!

1. Foxman
2. Foxman
3. clsund1
4. eddieb4
5. tuonoR
6. desstroid
7. rallymini
8. Slavik
Old 01-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

As an added incentive for this group purchase, Rennline has agreed to extend a 15% discount on their battery mount to as well!

Their EL36.37 battery mount priced at $135.00 is a perfect fit for the VPR P6, Voltphreaks smallest yet most powerful battery. http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Bat...nfo/EL36%2E37/ They also offer the same battery mount with a switch mount for $145.00, but given Voltphreaks built in on off switch it's probably unnecessary. http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Bat...nfo/EL36%2E38/

I purchased one of the Rennline battery mounts last December. For those wondering, the mount weighs approximately 2 1/4 lbs (still in the package). Not the lightest unit, but it's solid, well-designed, and fits perfectly in any 911 ( except 1969-1973), 914/944/964, 993, 930, 912, 996, 997, 991, Boxster, or Cayman. Worth the extra two pounds in my estimation.

Rennline EL36.37 Battery Mount also 15% off!

Rennline Battery Mount weighs 2 1/4 lbs.

Last edited by Foxman; 01-14-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:00 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Does the battery mount fit in a 991? And what would your estimation be of how long the car can sit with a P6 without being on a tender?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Does the battery mount fit in a 991? And what would your estimation be of how long the car can sit with a P6 without being on a tender?
Yep, the battery mount fits perfectly in a 991, as well as a 997, 996, 912, 930, Cayman and Boxster.

As Skyak notes above, you can go away for a month and not worry about needing a tender. You can simply turn the battery off to prevent discharge. And if you don't turn the battery off, and leave the lights on, the VP6 has LVC (low voltage cutoff) to prevent overdischarge. Per Rennline, "This turns the battery off when it's overdischarged (11.5 LVC option). A 12.5 LVC option is also available and turns off the battery when it's almost discharged but leaves enough to still start the car, meaning never having to jump-start your car again."

Here's a photo of a recent install by skyak in his 997 Turbo. Here's the thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...y-install.html

Old 01-15-2018, 01:16 AM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a spendy batt for a street car!
Old 01-15-2018, 02:40 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bugeyemilo
Thats a spendy batt for a street car!
They're not inexpensive batteries, but knocking off 35 lbs. is a significant weight savings. They last two to three times longer than conventional batteries, and the low voltage cutoff protection won't let you down with a dead battery. What's that worth?

Quick Reply: Voltphreaks Battery 15% RL Group Purchase Discount!