Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

New Owner, DE to SPB, Question on Reliability and Cooling

Old 06-18-2019, 10:05 AM
Lemming
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I have a small battery and have gotten into the habit of using the kill switch to save the battery overnight.

2. I'm not sure that you can just swap the ECU, as it has to be synced with the immobilizer and the ignition?
Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 PM
ace37
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
1. I have a small battery and have gotten into the habit of using the kill switch to save the battery overnight.

2. I'm not sure that you can just swap the ECU, as it has to be synced with the immobilizer and the ignition?
1. Yeah, that was the red flag - with the power cut using the kill switch my battery drained overnight. Sounds like a wiring issue on the kill switch based on that. Iíll let them find out and tell me though, maybe itís more nuanced.

2. I donít know if it will work. Hereís what I was thinking:

I would buy an eBay ECU, send these guys my hardware (key/DME, maybe factory ECU) along with the eBay ECU. Clone my factory ECUís hardware settings, then tune the eBay ECU for headers and no cats and optionally disable the immobilizer if thatís the key to making it all work. I havenít called them yet; perhaps thatís just not possible in a way where the ECUs can be swapped with no other steps.
https://www.ecudoctors.com/porsche-b...1997-1999.html

I suppose reconfiguring the ECU could work but itís not as easy or clean as I would like - I wouldnít be able to change the car back to a fully compliant SPB in a few hours with hand tools. I am hoping that after programming, two ECUs can talk to the same key and immobilizer. If so, quite a few other ECU reprogramming options are out there and worth thinking about too (two are below). I guess I need to find and ask an early water cooled ECU expert about it...
https://www.europeanroadandracing.co...boxster-00-04/
https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD9866181...ius-flash.html
Old 06-19-2019, 03:33 PM
martt1ski
User

............... Or just stay GTS2 and we'll build the class. Working on this. With you and a few others we'll have 6+ for NASA weekends.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:28 PM
ace37
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by martt1ski View Post
............... Or just stay GTS2 and we'll build the class. Working on this. With you and a few others we'll have 6+ for NASA weekends.
Six would be plenty! On the attendee list it looked much smaller. Doesnít much matter - I realized Iíll probably run out of agreed upon budget before that becomes the priority. This winter I have to at a minimum do the cage, harnesses, and assorted safety gear to get the car race legal before looking into extras like that, data, a cool suit, and so on.

I just cut down the wiring at the immobilizer by following the advice and pictures in this thread. Thereís a red/black and a black/red wire so I just left both but otherwise Iím down to the minimum number of wires there. I canít solder well so Iím leaving the bridge connections and too many relays and Iíll have to tape up the mess. On that topic I ordered some tesa ďsleeveĒ tape to tame that big mess in the cabin. Should be better (at least better looking!) than the fiberglass fire blanket anyway.
https://rennlist.com/forums/spec-box...ter-build.html

With the battery I looked and had the shop look and everything checks out. They think it just doesnít have enough capacity. I have a trans cooler, ps cooler, oil cooler, and accusump so that may be a bit too much on accessories. Itís on a tender now and Iíll find something a bit larger, maybe a stock Miata battery.

With the shifting issue I found that with the pedal stop I have, the bolt that hits the floor has a large enough surface area that it was catching on the irregularities in the sheet metal and hanging up some of the time near the end of travel. I trimmed the flange of the stopper bolt with a dremel. Now I wonít have issues with clutch actuation being finicky near the end of the travel range. With luck that will resolve the shifting issue.

I ordered a GT3 master cylinder and some fresh brake fluid. I went with Castrol SRF this time - cheaper than endless and everyone says it works very well too. I hope the MC and fresh fluid will improve braking feel.

I also ordered a lexan rear window from Patrick Motorsport. Weíll see how much lighter the factory top gets without destroying the structure of it.

Last edited by ace37; 06-19-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Owner, DE to SPB, Question on Reliability and Cooling

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: