Notices

981 Cayman GTS vs Boxter GTS

Old 05-26-2019, 09:46 PM
ekam
User

Simple to decide. You're either a hair dresser or not a hair dresser.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:54 PM
manifold danger
User

Originally Posted by Selo View Post
Ahem, well..... I am far from Niki Lauda, may he rest in peace, but after replacing the GT4 with a Spyder, and thus driving them extensively back to back, they do feel different. I find the Spyder to be a little more neutral and a little more supple. When my wife first rode in the Spyder she was wowwed, and exclaimed "how does a Porsche drive nicer than a 7series?". Not so with the GT4.
The original topic of the thread is GTS vs GTS, not Spyder vs GT4.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:25 AM
Selo
User

Originally Posted by manifold danger View Post
The original topic of the thread is GTS vs GTS, not Spyder vs GT4.
That is true, I stand corrected, sir.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:42 AM
57staff
User

I have found that nothing beats driving in the canyons in my Boxster with the top down and the engine noise reverberating off the walls. Epic.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:11 PM
9~factor
User

Cayman for me. Coming from an S2000, owned it for 12 years, I didn't want to deal with soft top maintainance and replacement.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:35 PM
manifold danger
User

Originally Posted by 9~factor View Post
Cayman for me. Coming from an S2000, owned it for 12 years, I didn't want to deal with soft top maintainance and replacement.
I've heard that this is an issue with S2000s, particularly those left outside for most of their lives, but is it really a thing for 981s? Serious question, not rhetorical.

There is a little bit of a concern that I know of with some significant wear locations on the top, and admittedly my car is affected. Some folks think it may be caused by excessive vibration while the top is down on cars equipped with the X73 sports suspension, but that's mostly speculation. If you look there are some threads about it; apparently some dealers even recognize it as a manufacturer defect and will replace the top under warranty (not my local dealer though... but I still have some warranty left, I will make another strong push for it in about a year as the warranty is set to expire, especially if it worsens). But overall it isn't that big a deal, just looks like someone took a brush really hard to it in very specific spots. Nothing I'd panic over if it wasn't covered under warranty, as it's strictly an aesthetic defect, and doesn't appear to illicit a cause for replacement.

Also, even the newest S2000 is approaching being a 20 year old car at this point. Not sure if this is a legitimate concern for a neutral party (i.e., someone who hasn't been burned by soft top woes before).
Old 05-29-2019, 11:17 AM
MidEngineRules
User

Originally Posted by Jooniper View Post
Originally looking for 981 Cayman GTS but so hard to find. I see some Boxter GTS with all the options I want, fair price.
Which car you guys prefer ?
the KBB retail price shows Cayman is 5-7000$ more with all same specs.
Boxsters are more popular than Caymans so you should find more Boxsters out there since more were imported. Timing is everything. Wait long enough and you'll find whatever you're looking for. Being a GTS, the look could take much longer simply because there are much fewer of them compared to S variants. Boxsters usually sell for more money than Caymans as they cost more and are more popular on the used market. If a Cayman GTS cost more than a Boxster GTS it's either due to condition, mileage, and options and/or variations of all 3. If you're not apt to drive top down much or ever, then the Cayman is the better choice. I've owned more Boxsters (4) than Caymans (2) so I definitely like top down driving. But I also like some body behind your head which led me to my first Targa (991). The Targa makes for a more coupe like convertible and the extra cabin space is nice. But between the 2 you're looking at, I'd probably go with the Boxster GTS. I also own a Cayman GT4 and wouldn't want a Cayman GTS unless I just had to have PDK, which I don't have to have since my Targa is PDK and 1 PDK is more than enough sedation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: