Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

m96 3.4L rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:13 PM
kondata17
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default m96 3.4L rebuilt

Category: Engine - Complete
Price (no $ sign please): $7000
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 996
Location (Region): Midwestern
Item Condition: Used

SOLD

Miles: 121,000
condition: excellent (I'll go into details)
IMS bearing: done at 105K miles LN ceramic dual row
reason for selling: moving to an LS engine and would like to get this lump sold first

I bought the car in April of 2014 with the intention of making it a fun street car and occasional track car. As I do with every car I own, I spent hours on here and various other entertaining places gathering as much knowledge as I could trying to understand the cars inherent weakness. Needless to say, there are a lot of them. a few months after purchasing the car, I took it out on a track day only to find oil pressure drops, high water temps, and just scared for the motors longevity. Needless to say I didnt do that again until oiling mods were done. I got a Mantis 1.2qt oil pan with baffle to help with oil slosh and while installing it, I noticed there was quite a bit of brown plastic shavings in the pan. The cam chain guides had worn and needed to be replaced. I didnt actually tear down the motor for another couple of months until I one day I noticed some black plastic chunks in the oil pan (I pulled the pan again to install AN fitting into the pan to run cooler lines to the front).

Long story short, the IMS chain guide had also worn down and the only way to replace it was to tear down the motor (as most of you know). I had a good friend take on the job (he runs a small indy performance shop in Carol Stream IL). Durring the rebuild, I was able to get a good understanding of what else needed to be replaced while everything was apart. To my relief, the cylinder walls were in perfect condition. they were inspected to ensure they were still round and not oval, no cylinder scoring, no cracks of any kind. Here is what was replaced to the best of my recollection:

Cylinder heads cleaned, 3 angle valve job, new seals new gaskets
all new chain tensioners (all 3)
every single gasket replaced
new rod bearings (old ones actually looked very good)
new AOS
new oil cooler with new seals
new coils and plugs
new chains
new chain guides (every guide was replaced)
new rear main seal
new clutch and flywheel
ARP rod bolts were used and spec'ed by the machine shop
new head bolts (OE)
new header studs were used (old ones were seized and required machine shop to remove)

The motor is very health, pulls strong all the way to redline. Oil pressure is perfect (1.2 bar at hot idle and 5 bar at anything over 3K RPM hot). I have a separate oil pressure sender installed on bank one to monitor oil pressure separately from the oe cluster (which I dont trust). I also have the pan tapped for oil temp which hovers right around 180-190F on regular drives. The total oil capacity of this engine is roughly 11qts without my oil cooler lines. I've always ran DT40 and changed the oil every 3K miles or less.

Engine is still in the car so I can show anything you may want to see. I'll post a video of start up and idle shortly (or whatever anyone may want).

I'm looking for $7000 and I'm able to ship anywhere in the continental US (shipping will be extra).

In the event a sale is made, I will have the motor pulled, placed on a palate and shipped out to you within 48-72 hours.

Please ask any questions. 773-617-5345

motor after final assembly

Mantis sump with -8 AN fitting

dyno run after 2000 miles on rebuilt motor. The more flat curve is AFR

this was the bad IMS guide that needed replacing.

no cylinder scoring at all

Last edited by kondata17; 01-24-2018 at 05:24 PM. Reason: sold
Old 01-24-2018, 03:31 PM
LGP 951
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still available? Whats a shipping estimate to 94510?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:23 PM
kondata17
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

sorry, forgot to update here. Engine was sold

Quick Reply: m96 3.4L rebuilt