Notices

What is this?! (...hanging from my rear end)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Richard74
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this?! (...hanging from my rear end)?

Found this hanging near right rear exhaust (driver’s side, RH drive)

its hanging on a wire. Not sure if it’s an electrical wire. Doesn’t seem to go anywhere other than into this polystyrene piece.

Can I snip it off?

Found this hanging near right rear exhaust (driver’s side, RH drive)

its hanging on a wire. Not sure if it’s an electrical wire. Doesn’t seem to go anywhere other than into this polystyrene piece.

Can I snip it off?

Last edited by Richard74; 10-27-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Missed off text
Old 10-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Tracking device. You are in deep shyte.....
Old 10-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Richard74
Intermediate

Originally Posted by points
Tracking device. You are in deep shyte.....
Knew they'd catch me eventually!!
Old 11-05-2017, 03:03 PM
HpIzKing
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks like semi-rigid foam or some such for nvh reduction or clearance between panels but the wire is odd unless it was used for placement or securing the piece
Old 11-06-2017, 09:11 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

As Hp says it appears to be a panel buffer piece. It probably resides behind the fenderliner. I'm guessing this is a Cayenne, judging by the 955 part number prefix.

I would determine if it is an electrical wire (doubtful). See what is at the end, and if wires come out of it. I can't think of any sensor that could possibly reside in a block of foam, but check nevertheless. If has no wires, it is probably a drain or vent.

If it is a drain/vent, you could cut it but I would advise not to. I would tie wrap it somewhere out of the way (away from suspension/wheel/muffler/anything hot), and have someone look at it. It could be a drain line that connects to another intersection, and if you cut it, replacing said drain line could be quite expensive.

If you get the part number on that foam block, you might be able to look it up in Porsche's parts catalogue (PET, on their website), and see what this hose running to it is for.

The foam buffer clearly fell out and had a brief visit with the muffler where it melted. I would look underneath (or have a shop look) and make sure nothing else is dangling, loose, or hitting the suspension/wheel/muffler/anything hot.

You can also post in the Cayenne forum, someone more familiar with the car might recognize what it is.

Also, could be my screen, but in the second to last photo looks like there is a good cut in the tire tread (middle, near top of visible tread). Can't tell on my screen if it actually a cut or just a mark.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:43 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,080 Likes on 647 Posts

STP dispenser?

Old 11-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Richard74
Intermediate

Thanks. Yes, its a Cayenne, and yes I need to replace the tyre very soon!!

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
As Hp says it appears to be a panel buffer piece. It probably resides behind the fenderliner. I'm guessing this is a Cayenne, judging by the 955 part number prefix.

I would determine if it is an electrical wire (doubtful). See what is at the end, and if wires come out of it. I can't think of any sensor that could possibly reside in a block of foam, but check nevertheless. If has no wires, it is probably a drain or vent.

If it is a drain/vent, you could cut it but I would advise not to. I would tie wrap it somewhere out of the way (away from suspension/wheel/muffler/anything hot), and have someone look at it. It could be a drain line that connects to another intersection, and if you cut it, replacing said drain line could be quite expensive.

If you get the part number on that foam block, you might be able to look it up in Porsche's parts catalogue (PET, on their website), and see what this hose running to it is for.

The foam buffer clearly fell out and had a brief visit with the muffler where it melted. I would look underneath (or have a shop look) and make sure nothing else is dangling, loose, or hitting the suspension/wheel/muffler/anything hot.

You can also post in the Cayenne forum, someone more familiar with the car might recognize what it is.

Also, could be my screen, but in the second to last photo looks like there is a good cut in the tire tread (middle, near top of visible tread). Can't tell on my screen if it actually a cut or just a mark.

Quick Reply: What is this?! (...hanging from my rear end)?