Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Will 997 GT3 cost more than 991.1 GT3 in 5 years from now???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 01:03 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver

I'll take last point from above. Our generation for the most part does not have high paying jobs / probably will not due to several reasons. Ride sharing, now owning property, car ownership drastically going down ( i forgot were i got some data on this ) ...i just don't foresee 100,000 Millennial fighting over 20,000 GT cars.

I believe equilibrium will be reached were 20,000 GT cars (996,997,991,992) and under 20,000 buyers looking for GT cars.

the fight will be is the Tesla Roaster consider a more collectable vs. Model S signature , because one was built in a lot in Palo Alto and other was built at Factory. Which one is true Tesla. Sharing parts w/ Lotus or from ground up first Tesla design car, which one was more ground breaking, etc... that's were i would hedge my money.
You live in the bay, I live in Seattle. We both know that there are plenty of high paying jobs to go around currently with our tight labor markets. I know plenty of people who buy expensive cars(whether they should or shouldn't may be another argument, but they can afford them). If you want to make the argument that kids our age chose to live in the city and not have a car, that's a fair one but they certainly can afford them if they choose.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:27 PM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting topic. I think the 997 will definitely be worth more than the 991 at some point. I could afford a 991 gt3 and chose 997 instead. It's a more raw driving experience. The 991 though is definitely a superior car hands down. What it does have going for it is the PDK. It seems like kids now don't know how to drive a manual. Those people who never learn will want a 991 over a 997. Either way I love my car and don't plan to sell it unless I upgrade to a RS. Have the disposable income to do it and again chose to add a 993 c4s instead. In my mind two is better than one. That would not be true if it was a 4.0, but again I could add another 1 or 2 cool cars vs 1. I think the 991 will continue to decrease while 997 will stay where it is and slowly rise. Eventually 991 will make a come back though and even out. In the meantime I will enjoy my toys and when the day comes to sell them I won't really care. Can't put a price on enjoyment factor for years of driving a fun car or at least that is how I justify the larger than normal expenses.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:11 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey if vinyl’s made a comeback especially with millenials, who’s to say IC engines and manual gearboxes won’t.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:43 AM
ores
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Hey if vinyl’s made a comeback especially with millenials, who’s to say IC engines and manual gearboxes won’t.
Exactly. All it takes is a few trend setters to 'discover' manuals and everyone will want to learn how to drive one...
Old 10-18-2017, 01:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

millenials are into vinyls now?
damn, i better start hoarding more snh*t
what do they know about mercury prescence, orig RCA pressing, or any real valve and triode stuff....

now i feel threatened...

maybe i can dust off my marantz 7, 8 and 9: sell them to finance my 918 purchase ;-)
Old 10-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Hahaha... you shoulda kept all those orig mono blue notes! :-) Can't wait to move back in and have vinyl again. Like the sound of an AC porsche, classic jazz and rock just sounds right on vinyl.

Originally Posted by mooty
millenials are into vinyls now?
damn, i better start hoarding more snh*t
what do they know about mercury prescence, orig RCA pressing, or any real valve and triode stuff....

now i feel threatened...

maybe i can dust off my marantz 7, 8 and 9: sell them to finance my 918 purchase ;-)
Old 10-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Hahaha... you shoulda kept all those orig mono blue notes! :-) Can't wait to move back in and have vinyl again. Like the sound of an AC porsche, classic jazz and rock just sounds right on vinyl.
I spent ridiculous amounts of money throughout my life trying to make digital sound half as good as my old crappy tt I had as a kid. I finally realized it and decided to go straight vinyl anytime I want to actually LISTEN to music. When I want background music, stream any crappy compressed source I can get. My flac/wav/hd digital collection and stupid dac setup just sit there. I’ll admit the gap has narrowed significantly between the two but I’ll drop a needle and sit back in a chair and do nothing else.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:24 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Ahhh vinyl . . .

Wanted to get into vinyl without going overboard.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:53 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Ahhh vinyl . . .

Wanted to get into vinyl without going overboard.

Great thing about vinyl is u can get into it w/out going over board. Or u can spend cars worth on it
Old 10-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting.......the 991.? GT $$ discussion has moved to the 997 GT Board, minus the "allocation, PTS, and exclusive options" topic. Must be looking for new players....... and vinyl has replaced exotic road bikes
Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Interesting.......the 991.? GT $$ discussion has moved to the 997 GT Board, minus the "allocation, PTS, and exclusive options" topic. Must be looking for new players....... and vinyl has replaced exotic road bikes
We all have our vices!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by agentf1
Look at how fast the 993 TT took off in price. Seems like they doubled overnight out of the blue. The 997 GT3 is iconic in the Porsche lineup IMHO.
I'll paraphrase what a local independent repair shop owner said about the 993TT.

The price jump, in his opinion, was brought on by a baby boomers and some generation Xrs that have now acquired some spendable pocket money and want to get into a ride that they either didn't have/couldn't afford at that time or recapture something they did have (nostalgia purchase).

Given the lower production numbers of the 993TT, the prices began to spiral up because there was an upper tier of well-heeled buyers easily willing to pay a premium. Price didn't matter.

The same thing happened to the rest of the air-cooled cars. A generation of deep pockets had disposable cash and the bragging rights of ownership pushed prices way up.

The same thing happened to American muscle cars. More and more buyers have extended reach in a market with fewer and fewer available cars; shutting out the average buyer that doesn't have the same resources to spend.

Now those cars are 20 - 30 years old (or older). In the same time the future generations will be looking back at the collectible built today and those with the money will drive the market.

The wild card is going to be the price of gas and the penalty for owning internal combustion engines of a by-gone era.

France and the UK are looking to ban the sales of all gas and diesel cars by 2040. Others will follow. That is for new cars, not legacy cars. But that will impact the price of gasoline and the market for gas engine cars, which will be seen as a scourge of the road by legislators. Specialty cars will fare better, but I suspect the squeeze will not make life better for collectors. If anything it will make the crystal ball for predicting those futures all the more cloudier.

Mothballed examples with a racing or ownership history or extreme low miles will end up in museums and command top dollar. What happens to the rest of them depends.

If you are looking for the best investment, a financial advisor with a good track record is what I would seek. I'll bet he will tell you that speculative purchases of cars is not going to be the best way to become rich.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
By the way, fried eggs or not, the 996 GT3 is the first GT3. That really counts for something. And, you do get used to the look.
I can personally confirm that you can't see those headlights from behind the steering wheel, which is exactly where you belong in one of those cars!
Old 10-24-2017, 03:48 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
I can personally confirm that you can't see those headlights from behind the steering wheel, which is exactly where you belong in one of those cars!
Fair point
Old 10-24-2017, 10:08 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Will it cost more? Most likely yes but when?
But will it be worth more? Real answer to that question can be answered by someone who paid more.
I am in the "don't give a ****" camp. For sure the 997 GT3 RS will hold value, gen 1 more than 2 maybe.

Quick Reply: Will 997 GT3 cost more than 991.1 GT3 in 5 years from now???