Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fuel Injector Install Secret tip

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Install Secret tip

Having just finished changing AOS seals aka remove & replace turbo, crossover pipe (due to broken rusty bolts), intake, fuel injectors, etc., I am thankful for those who took time to follow and help.

In turn, I'll share a tip I didn't find beforehand: installing the fuel injectors.

The common online procedure suggests putting them into the fuel rail first then trying to pop them into the intake. For me, this didn't go. Particularly, the front-most injectors appear to 'too short' compared to the distance of the bracket holding the fuel rail to the intake. Whichever way you try first, seems impossible to get it to pop into both ends.

How I got them in

First, I followed the official Workshop manual that instructs installing the injectors into the intake manifold first.

Next, I lay the fuel rail on top, pushed it on (only the furthest back injector popped in), and fastened the rail down. Though the other three injector o-rings were hidden, they did not pop in and were not fully seated; the clips would not fit.

Finally, I used adjustable pliers to pull back the injectors just enough to fit the clips on the first groove and the edge of the circles on the rail.
With the rail fastened down, if the injectors pop into the rail, they come out too much from the intake. If you pop them back into the intake, they come out of the rail.

But... popped into the intake first, if you pull back just enough to get the clips on, they seem to compress the o-rings on both ends just enough to seal.

I'm no mechanic, but the engine is running, no fuel is leaking, so I'm betting that this is, in fact, the proper procedure.

A bit of a secret it seems lol

And now... some pics of my completed AOS seals project; a breeze for many, an accomplishment for me

Check out the MBC and the famous Laust vacuum manifold!

Old 10-08-2017, 01:56 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Another tip is to use a light smear of ATF on the o-rings. I can't remember having an issue with installing injectors with that trick... I put them in the rail, lube up the lower o-rings, and gently press the whole assembly into the manifold and bolt it down.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I also put ATF on the o-rings. You'd probably tear them trying to pop them in dry. The Workshop Manual suggests some sort of grease IIRC.

The issue is that you can only "pop" the injector into the rail OR the manifold, not both; the rail bracket at the front end creates a space that is greater than the span of fully seated o-rings

You have to pop into one or the other first then squeeze the un-popped end until you're satisfied of a seal.

I think that's why the Workshop Manual suggests putting them into the manifold first; when squeezing them back into the rail, you have a guide: go until the clip fits!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 183 Posts

To just lube the o rings with good old fashioned spit has always worked for me without issues.

Like the Laoust vacuum manifold!😊
Old 10-10-2017, 10:17 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

vasoline
Old 10-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by PF
Like the Laoust vacuum manifold!😊