Mastering the Rear Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017 | 01:54 PM
Curated Content Editor
Rennlist Editor

Default Mastering the Rear Engine

Mastering the Rear Engine
By Christopher Hurst

From Ryan Dunn to Pelle Lindbergh there is a dark allure to the 911. A lot of people have lost their lives in these cars. They’ve even dubbed some of the older cars “the Widow Maker” Let’s shed some light on how to control a rear engine car.

Old 09-27-2017 | 01:16 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

My current 991.1 C2S Porsche coupe is my 9th Porsche since 1970, but is my first 911. So we named him Nine.
One thing I quickly learned is this one is the first Porsche I've owners that really likes cornering under power, unlike my front- and mid-engine Porsches. And with the PSM electronic helper, it never gets wild. So I somehow managed to bypass all of those "widow makers", but can well understand what is meant by that. I remember one at the brake marker end of the front straight at Road America. He hit his brakes and wildly spun in circles going into Turn 1 because he was turning slightly as he hit his brakes. I also have vivid memories of several others going off track and smashing guard rails or rolling, because they came in too hot and felt forced to lift off the throttle in a corner.
Thank God for modern Porsches!

​​​
Old 10-05-2017 | 01:40 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
My current 991.1 C2S Porsche coupe is my 9th Porsche since 1970, but is my first 911. So we named him Nine.
One thing I quickly learned is this one is the first Porsche I've owned that really likes cornering under power, unlike my front- and mid-engine Porsches. And with the PSM electronic helper, it never gets wild. ​​​
The physics of driving never changed when you bought this car. Cornering under power is not the fastest nor the best way around the track. The ONLY reason that you haven't had an off is because PSM has applied the brakes and reduced the power to a controllable level. PSM has saved so many cars without the drivers ever realising it that it has encouraged bad/ poor driving technique. PSM has given bad drivers too much confidence in what they foolishly think is their ability to go fast.
Try a few laps with PSM off and you will quickly learn what you aren't doing right. You will become a better driver with PSM off.
Old 10-08-2017 | 08:38 PM
Racer

Default 911... "widow maker" ?

Good advice for the average driver who doesn't drive very much and just wants to achieve a safe level. However, if you want to be competitive, drive every chance you get. You have to learn how to brake while turning in and learn to get back on the power aggressively and early. This takes seat time to develop the timing, balance and commitment needed.
Go easy at first, gain confidence and you can work up to fast times, but don't let the 911 scare you. The car is NOT the "widow maker", the driver is.

George

Quick Reply: Mastering the Rear Engine