Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At 50k kms my car sit low on the left side!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:49 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
Default At 50k kms my car sit low on the left side!

At a mere 50k kms my car sits low on the drivers rear side. I asked around and weak springs were the consensus. I've never heard this as a weak link with Porsche sports cars specially on a mainly street driven car. Factory defect? Could it possibly be wrong settings with the right front wheel? I just had the bearing plates of both front sides replaced due to a squeaking left front bearing. Could the techs have misinstalled the right front suspension causing it to ride higher pushing the rear left side down a bit. I've had the alignment set properly and the car rides and tracks well. Looking from behind the droop is barely noticeable. It's only when I measure fender to tire distance do I know the one side is low. Any ideas/suggestions to correct ? Apart from replacing both rear springs. Or maybe it's time to try the aftermarket springs.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:14 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a specific procedure for measuring ride height. Measuring fender to tire clearance won't give you accurate info. I got my information from a service manual I bought online and received as a PDF. It involved having the car on a perfectly flat surface and measuring from a specific chassis point to the ground, both front and rear. I had an issue with my 996 and ended up replacing the rear springs.
There has been a recent thread here about an online service manual for 997's.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Something doesn't add-up, springs shouldn't dip at 50K km... mine is perfect with same milage. You need some mechanic to check things off before you start replacing springs!
Old 08-24-2017, 10:13 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
At a mere 50k kms my car sits low on the drivers rear side. I asked around and weak springs were the consensus. I've never heard this as a weak link with Porsche sports cars specially on a mainly street driven car. Factory defect? Could it possibly be wrong settings with the right front wheel? I just had the bearing plates of both front sides replaced due to a squeaking left front bearing. Could the techs have misinstalled the right front suspension causing it to ride higher pushing the rear left side down a bit. I've had the alignment set properly and the car rides and tracks well. Looking from behind the droop is barely noticeable. It's only when I measure fender to tire distance do I know the one side is low. Any ideas/suggestions to correct ? Apart from replacing both rear springs. Or maybe it's time to try the aftermarket springs.
Do you have Sports Plus, as it maybe stuck lowering the car to one side only and stayed there ?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:47 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Do you have Sports Plus, as it maybe stuck lowering the car to one side only and stayed there ?
Sport Plus doesn't change the height.

It affects the shock damping characteristics.

Karl.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:59 AM
pitargue
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps your top hat on the top of the shock on that side is bent?
Old 08-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Total speculation.... but of course.....

1 - The top spring mount is twisted... or the spring is twisted... thus making that side higher and making the other look lower. You can confirm by pulling a wheel off of both sides and just comparing... the springs seat into a mount that is contoured for the uneven end of the spring.... (top and bottom IIRC). This wouldn't have happened normally.... it must have been removed and reinstalled for this to happen.

2 - Your spring broke. I broke a spring on my 2000 Boxster S... never knew it as the break was 10 inches from the end where it was coiled tightly... so I never saw a change in height nor performance. My indy said he never saw that before... we figured it was a defect in the metal... the broken ends were slightly corroded so it must have been that way for a few years. It was at the bottom and no one ever noticed it.

I strongly don't believe it is a sagging spring... as long as they are Porsche parts. I had about 150K on my springs when I had all four replaced with Porsche parts due to the one broken spring and I did not see a difference in ride height.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

I found the broken spring end... I have a shelf full of interesting parts and car chunks... forgot I had the end....

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-25-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: At 50k kms my car sit low on the left side!