Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 04:32 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm thinking the spec to get on GT3 in future is: LWB/carbon wheels, nothing else. Ok.. maybe PCCB also.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:12 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,978 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
Yes, but most people here that ordered their car didn't get PCCB for same or even more weight savings, so...
Not a fair comparison, since wheels are not a consumable like brakes. And while PCCB's cost $9k, replacing the rotors later costs over $20k. When CF wheels become an option on original purchase, price should be well under $9k (and you don't need to replace them every dozen track weekends)...
Old 08-20-2017, 09:45 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Talk the guys at Carbon Revolution here in Geelong Australia. Been building them for a while. Available aftermarket and somewhat cheaper.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Not a fair comparison, since wheels are not a consumable like brakes. And while PCCB's cost $9k, replacing the rotors later costs over $20k. When CF wheels become an option on original purchase, price should be well under $9k (and you don't need to replace them every dozen track weekends)...
Correct if if wrong...I had read that the current recipe for the pccb rotors changed and now the rotors are lasting a very long time with track use...like a few years or so instead of 6-12 days.
Some post on Rennlist sad now with the new rotors while still expensive cost the same with tracking a car on steel rotors ver the years.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:05 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Carbon wheels are banned in racing everywhere because they cannot take multiple whacks
Old 08-20-2017, 08:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Correct if if wrong...I had read that the current recipe for the pccb rotors changed and now the rotors are lasting a very long time with track use...like a few years or so instead of 6-12 days.
That's why I mentioned a dozen track weekends (rather than just 12 days - or 12 hours with the 996 version). PCCB's are getting better all the time, but the reviews still sound mixed when tracking aggressively...
Old 08-20-2017, 09:14 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

The Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R was the first "production" application for the carbon wheel.
I can tell you they are light weight for sure......but its always on your mind about damaging them while driving on the street. I would be MORE stressed on the track.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by H82BL8
The Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R was the first "production" application for the carbon wheel.
I can tell you they are light weight for sure......but its always on your mind about damaging them while driving on the street. I would be MORE stressed on the track.
Seems like the Porsche ones would be even stronger than the Mustang (Aussie) ones. But when you ding them, they don't just dent like metal...
Old 08-20-2017, 09:51 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought the same... if the Porsche ones w/ exposed CF becomes optional for the GT cars. We'll see sooner or later. And it'll be one of the high-priced options for sure...

Originally Posted by Igooz
You are correct. I also own a 350R and the wheel barrels are sprayed with heat resistant paint. You are advised to not strap through the wheel as this coating is soft. Curbing I have not experienced.
Originally Posted by H82BL8
Yup quite light indeed. Makes my R wheels "feel" like a bargain...

Old 08-20-2017, 10:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

I had drinks with some Koenigsegg engineers last night, who by the way are really really proud of the incredible inventions their company comes up with, and how they produce absolutely everything in house, not only carbon wheels, but also brake calipers and very soon even soon, even their own ceramic rotors.

I asked them what they thought about these woven Porsche carbon wheels, and how they might compare to their own vacuum process as far as strength… They were coy about the whole thing, just as I would expect in such a delicate line of questions… saying that their wheels are made to handle higher speeds and maintain the lightest weight possible while having the ability to withstand repeat impacts… However at the end they did say The process which Porsche is using with that massive wheel to spin the weave so tightly is a very good one. Not sure how much this adds to the conversation, except it was interesting to see some young engineers from a competitor offer a positive perspective.

On a slightly related subject, they had very mixed opinions about McLarens inside real breaking open differential torque vectoring system… but they did praise the industry first McLaren hybrid battery management system which actively manages battery loads, by selectively recharging the side of the battery which was lower than the other, with engine power. However, they did say that one McLarens was a good solution, they were the only ones in the industry to use actual F1 battery cells which allow for dramatically faster charge and discharge cycles… Then explain to me that the batteries in their new hybrid regera hyper car, cost $190,000 alone. That was an astounding figure to me.

Sorry for the mild hybrid off topic, back to your regularly scheduled programming
Old 08-20-2017, 10:41 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,658 Likes on 5,110 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I had drinks with some Koenigsegg engineers last night, who by the way are really really proud of the incredible inventions their company comes up with, and how they produce absolutely everything in house, not only carbon wheels, but also brake calipers and very soon even soon, even their own ceramic rotors.

I asked them what they thought about these woven Porsche carbon wheels, and how they might compare to their own vacuum process as far as strength… They were coy about the whole thing, just as I would expect in such a delicate line of questions… saying that their wheels are made to handle higher speeds and maintain the lightest weight possible while having the ability to withstand repeat impacts… However at the end they did say The process which Porsche is using with that massive wheel to spin the weave so tightly is a very good one. Not sure how much this adds to the conversation, except it was interesting to see some young engineers from a competitor offer a positive perspective.

On a slightly related subject, they had very mixed opinions about McLarens inside real breaking open differential torque vectoring system… but they did praise the industry first McLaren hybrid battery management system which actively manages battery loads, by selectively recharging the side of the battery which was lower than the other, with engine power. However, they did say that one McLarens was a good solution, they were the only ones in the industry to use actual F1 battery cells which allow for dramatically faster charge and discharge cycles… Then explain to me that the batteries in their new hybrid regera hyper car, cost $190,000 alone. That was an astounding figure to me.

Sorry for the mild hybrid off topic, back to your regularly scheduled programming
From people I've spoken to, and whom I respect, I tend to be rather skeptical of the R&D wherewithal of Koenigsegg engineers and tech.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:16 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Good info.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:54 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent info! I enjoyed reading that almost as much as watching that video
Old 08-21-2017, 04:38 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Koenigsegg engineering is a technical marvel.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

They attributed their company's engineering ingenuity to christian of course, who they say is a monster of logical but creative solutions which they end up saying "how did we not think of that first" a lot. And some guy in the company named "Dog"... who helped create the pneumatic camless "freevalve" project which is now being developed separately, as well as many of their other unique inventions. I wish I could do it all over again and become an engineer to go work in Koenigsegg... they all seems incredibly excited and proud of what they do.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber wheels