Sponsored by:

997 Cup Holder Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:50 PM
SimonSays
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997 Cup Holder Stuck

997.2 owner here with a small problem. My driver’s side/left cupholder is stuck in the closed position and I was looking for some advice on how to DIY fix this. I wonder, is there a simple way to pry open a stuck cup holder that doesn’t require removing the entire assembly? I probably did not completely close/tighten the o-ring portion of the cupholder when I last pushed it in, which likely caused the jam. Is there is any way I can push/pull on the cup holder to get it unstuck? It might also be worth noting that the right passenger side cup holder still works, so I can open that one and have some access to the side portion of the stuck cup holder. My fingers are too large to reach in there, but some tools might be of use.

Otherwise, I figure that removing the glovebox cartridge and looking inside would be the most logical step to take. That's obviously a bit more involved, so I'd prefer to do that only if I really have to.

Last edited by SimonSays; 08-04-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Found the allen bolts I initially couldn't see...
Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Do a search. Several threads on this.

Mine was stuck for about two months, then just started working. I did nothing other than swear at it.
The following 3 users liked this post by ltcjmramos:
Dave Visse (05-10-2020), heavysixer22 (07-07-2022), Hootsama (05-02-2021)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:42 PM
SimonSays
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Do a search. Several threads on this.

Mine was stuck for about two months, then just started working. I did nothing other than swear at it.
Haha there's definitely been some swearing on my end, but mine's still stuck (at least for now)! And thanks, I found some old threads and comments that might be useful.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:45 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

BTW, only solution I found was to remove it for repair. I seldom use it, so, didn't bother.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:55 PM
SimonSays
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
BTW, only solution I found was to remove it for repair. I seldom use it, so, didn't bother.
Yep, I suspect that I'll be removing my cup holder unit from the dash this weekend. Hopefully prying the cup holder open/getting it unstuck won't be too difficult.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:12 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Its pretty simple to remove the cup holder unit and disassemble it. Iirc
Old 08-05-2017, 12:00 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

My boyfriend’s idiot older sister has managed to jam the cup holder into the receptor twice now over the last year or so. He considers this and a million other screw-ups this ditz causes not worth worrying about, but they all drive me crazy.

If you inspect the unjammed cup holder. It would appear that the pyramid shaped post (between the two cup holders) would act as a device to automatically close the adjustable, cup size ring to the minimum setting, allowing for a smooth jam free closure. On a Japanese car, I can assure you this would be the case, the Japanese love their customers and want them to have a better life without cuss words. The Germans want to make you a better ‘bot’ by inflecting pain and suffering for any deviation from the rules.

Screw those bastards! American ingenuity and brute force will always save the day. Place a super slim screw driver or a small but stout little pen knife into the slot between the center post and pry against the expandable expansion ring part of the cup holder. Moderate your prying while you press the holder inward, after a couple pushes you will feel when the latch is released. Slowly but surely, with some perseverance prying, the cup holder arm will pop out. Close the expansion ring into the full retracted position and the mechanism will now work as intended.
The following 3 users liked this post by jennifer911:
8x57IRS (07-08-2022), jdiefenderfer (04-27-2024), JustinCase (04-28-2024)
Old 08-05-2017, 11:01 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ultimatecupholder.com

Problem solved!
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (05-10-2020)
Old 08-05-2017, 12:35 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
Where the red circle is, pull/push it with your fingertip towards the driver side, and then pull it out. It gets stuck when you forget to retract the holder before pushing the arm back in. Don't need to disassemble anything.

How do you get that out of a 997.2? A clip popped off mine and it won't stay in or spring loads back out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug H:
DCFB (04-30-2023), Sam-g (09-07-2020)
Old 08-05-2017, 03:40 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

Doug, If you need to remove the whole cup holder cassette unit (as pictured above), the attachment screws are accessed from inside the glove box. Open the glove box door and look at the top of the glove box, in the slot between the dash and the fuzzy roof of the glove box you will find two shiny Allen head screws. Remove them and the cassette will slide out.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:17 PM
SimonSays
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jennifer911
My boyfriend’s idiot older sister has managed to jam the cup holder into the receptor twice now over the last year or so. He considers this and a million other screw-ups this ditz causes not worth worrying about, but they all drive me crazy.

If you inspect the unjammed cup holder. It would appear that the pyramid shaped post (between the two cup holders) would act as a device to automatically close the adjustable, cup size ring to the minimum setting, allowing for a smooth jam free closure. On a Japanese car, I can assure you this would be the case, the Japanese love their customers and want them to have a better life without cuss words. The Germans want to make you a better ‘bot’ by inflecting pain and suffering for any deviation from the rules.

Screw those bastards! American ingenuity and brute force will always save the day. Place a super slim screw driver or a small but stout little pen knife into the slot between the center post and pry against the expandable expansion ring part of the cup holder. Moderate your prying while you press the holder inward, after a couple pushes you will feel when the latch is released. Slowly but surely, with some perseverance prying, the cup holder arm will pop out. Close the expansion ring into the full retracted position and the mechanism will now work as intended.
Did this and it worked! Thank you so much

All my screwdrivers proved too thick, but I have a small keyhole saw blade that fit the bill instead. Anyways, my initial suspicions were right. When the cup holder slid out, the expansion ring was open on a very wide setting I’ll try to be much more careful and close it all the way in the future
The following users liked this post:
Dave Visse (05-10-2020)
Old 08-05-2017, 07:38 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:56 PM
Dave Visse
AutoX

Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

Jennifer911, please thank your boyfriends idiot older sister. Her screw-up helped us all. Just "unstuck" mine thanks to her...and of course you!
Old 05-02-2021, 06:40 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts

Just want to say thanks to those that contributed to this thread. Came back from a drive this morning with a cup of coffee in the holder. Hastily closed the driver's side holder before retracting it and of course it got stuck. Tried prying it loose without taking it apart. I don't know what magical thin screwdrivers some of you have, but nothing is going to fit between the center post and the holder. Admitted defeat and took the whole thing out. Screws are Allen head but it would have taken forever using an Allen key. For future reference for anyone else, I was able to use a T27 Torx bit (naturally, the angle was too tight even for my smallest ratchet, so I just used the bit by hand).

Quick Reply: 997 Cup Holder Stuck