Sponsored by:

Dash Cam - Mirror Mount vs Windshield sticker

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:01 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Dash Cam - Mirror Mount vs Windshield sticker

Bought an Ankur C1 dash cam, mostly for parking lot hit-and-run situations. The unit comes with a 3M adhesive based windshield mount. Debating using it vs trying to find a rearview mirror mount/bracket. If anyone has used one that fits the 991 I'd love to know what worked.

Also is there a risk that the 3M adhesive could damage the patterned part of the windshield if applied upon it ?

Thanks,
NF
Old 07-30-2017, 12:43 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Nothing will remove those ceramic patterns even if you tried, short of some aggressive sandpapering! I lot of folks have tried to remove that to improve the lay-down of tint on the back windows.

I recommend the adhesive mount and placing it up higher, higher than you'd get with a mirror mount. It has a better view that way. Just make sure the manual event-recording button is in reach.

Since you are wiring for a parking mode, you'll also want to get a device that protects the battery from getting too discharged. Blackvue makes one that is $24 and universal. It's called the Power Magic Pro and it works just great. I have it on two vehicles.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:41 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I moved things around a lot and had to remove the VHB 3M adhesive from the glass a couple times. It is fully removable (but you'll need a solvent - I used Goo-Gone).

In Washington state (and perhaps other states) you aren't permitted to attach anything to the windshield if it "obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway". http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.410

In the spirit of that law, I found that I could mount a dashcam on the glass on the passenger side of the rearview mirror so that it was not at all visible from the driver's seat, and therefore wasn't obstructing my view in any way.

If you mount on the rearview mirror, I'd keep the effect on your visibility of the highway in mind.

View from passenger side

Not visible at all from driver's side

Quick Reply: Dash Cam - Mirror Mount vs Windshield sticker