Here is another aircon question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 08:25 PM
jumpy chunky
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Here is another aircon question

Just took delivery of my 1999 996.
Car is a blast to drive, but woould be more comfortable,probably, if the A.C. was working.

Is there a way to engage comp clutch? Not able to re-gas witout suction side drawing.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:00 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 766 Posts

If you haven't already found a way to do it, jump a wire from the 12V jumper point in the engine bay to the electrical connector on the AC compressor. Be careful working with 12V in the engine bay, that jumper point is directly from the battery and not fuse protected. You do realize that the AC system needs not only freon but compressor oil?
Old 07-29-2017, 01:17 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpy chunky
Just took delivery of my 1999 996.
Car is a blast to drive, but woould be more comfortable,probably, if the A.C. was working.

Is there a way to engage comp clutch? Not able to re-gas witout suction side drawing.
Have you checked the fuses? Any pressure in the system currently? Have you actually tried hooking up a can of R134 to recharge it?
Old 07-29-2017, 10:50 PM
jumpy chunky
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your replys. Yes I checked all three, maybe four fuses, all intact.
When I tried to recharge initially I think the gauge registered over 150 p.s.i.
Not sure if my memory is as good as it used to be. Any ways I blew to atmosphere
all but twenty pounds of pressure. Thought maybe too much pressure in system. Been awhile since I tried to recharge any system. I tried to recharge , brought system up to forty p.s.i., but no compressor
clutch action. Thought I could short across limit switch , but thought I should ask you guys first.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:36 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Something is not working in the system because 40psi is definitely high enough to close the low pressure sensor so the climate control should activate the compressor.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:59 AM
jumpy chunky
Rennlist Member

Ahsai,
Thanks for your reply. I think you are correct. Comp clutch not getting 12 volts to coil or coil is bad.
Don't have a manual or a durametric yet so thought I would ask the list about how you guys would go
about energizing comp. clutch. Can't find any relays in fuse box or anywhere else in and around the car.
Maybe someone will chime in with a tried and true method or some expeerience with thier own car.
Thanks everyone...
Old 07-30-2017, 10:27 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Check and/or replace this relay located in Relay Support 2 underneath the carpet on the rear ledge

Like I said, a simple jumper wire to energize the compressor clutch will tell you if the electromagnetic clutch engages. That will bypass all the other fuses and relays. You can do it even if the engine is not running. If it engages with direct 12V, your problem lies elsewhere.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:51 AM
jumpy chunky
Rennlist Member

DBJoe,
Appreciate your posts. I will energize clutdh on compressor and see if it pulls in.
Unfortunately your photo is not viewable on my old computer. Will check my smart phone
and see if viewable from there. sounds like the relay is behind back seats? Will check.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:02 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Yes, behind back seats. Relay S4 as shown here

Old 07-30-2017, 03:26 PM
jumpy chunky
Rennlist Member

DBJoe,
Got your last message. Was able to view on my smart phone.
I took the initiative and removed air filter housing, cracked oil fill flexible joint. must have been baked out at least that is my story.
Located wires going to clutch and gently pulled on one and found that it had been cut. looked like varmit bite. Was the one going to spade connector housed in plastic holder and wire tied to 12 volt supply cable. Used butt connector and solder along with shrink wrap to fashion a fix.Will let you know outcome.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:38 AM
jumpy chunky
Rennlist Member

First off thanks to DBJoe996 and Ahsai for thier responses. I met with success after finding and repairing
power lead to compressor clutch coil. A.C. blows cold, but may need to be topped off as pressure on low
side below what ambient and gauge recommended. Will use 134A with oil when topping off.
Although my fix didn't require my accessing the relays, that was great info for future use.
Again thanks for all the responses.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:55 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Glad to hear you got it sorted. However, if it's blowing cold, I would not recommend topping it off unless you know for a fact that the refrigerant is low. Overcharging will make the a/c blow less cold and put excessive stress on the whole system.

If you really want to, I would recommend letting a shop do a full vacuum and refill to the correct amount.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Glad to hear you got it sorted. However, if it's blowing cold, I would not recommend topping it off unless you know for a fact that the refrigerant is low. Overcharging will make the a/c blow less cold and put excessive stress on the whole system.

If you really want to, I would recommend letting a shop do a full vacuum and refill to the correct amount.
Another great post by Ahsai. I swear, a man could just about own/operate and enjoy a 996 just from Ahsai's posts alone. Got to love this forum!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:43 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Thanks! Always glad to help!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:53 AM
jumpy chunky
Rennlist Member

Ahsai,
Will take your advice and not add any more refrigerant.

Plenty cold enough, especially on the LO setting. Too cold.

One other question: My key battery only lasts about a week, anyone else have and or sorted
out that problem? Please let me know a fix if there is one.
Thanks as always.

Quick Reply: Here is another aircon question