Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hazard light comes on when headlights are on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:43 PM
Z06Modder
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazard light comes on when headlights are on?

Sorry, very new to Porsches. Just got my wife a CPO 2016 Cayenne GTS. While driving it up from Florida today/this evening, we noticed the hazard light comes on any time the headlights turned on (had them on the Auto setting). Manual says this indicates the a battery is being overloaded? We kept driving with no issues, and will finish our drive tomorrow hopefully with no need for the headlights for now if there is a low voltage issue. I tried searching for similar issues and came up empty.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 AM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

Ask for a nice loaner
Old 07-28-2017, 01:01 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

I'll move this over to the 958 subforum (that's what you bought) and add a bit of info once it gets there.. hang on..
Old 07-28-2017, 01:10 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Whew - we made it.

Hi Jeff,

Exactly what light is coming on?

Just give us the description associated with the warning light you're seeing..

The image above is my multi-function display instrument - the one in the dash (F). This is programmable as far as what's displayed under Vehicle Info.. and in this case - I have a voltmeter displayed. That's a useful tool to make sure the charging system is working OK. If it's working normally - you'll see about 13-13.5V when the engine is above idle. If you press the "sport" button at the bottom of the console - that voltage should increase about 1V.

Try setting this up - and we can see what it displays.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:36 AM
Z06Modder
6th Gear

Default Re:

The light that comes on is not in the MFD, it's the hazards button down on the center control panel. It just comes on solid whenever the headlights turn on. I will chime back in with my voltage reading however, thanks for that.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:02 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Modder
Sorry, very new to Porsches. Just got my wife a CPO 2016 Cayenne GTS. While driving it up from Florida today/this evening, we noticed the hazard light comes on any time the headlights turned on (had them on the Auto setting). Manual says this indicates the a battery is being overloaded? We kept driving with no issues, and will finish our drive tomorrow hopefully with no need for the headlights for now if there is a low voltage issue.
Do you have any accessories plugged into the 12v sockets? Or any other aftermarket accessories added to the electrical system? Towing a trailer with lights?

If so I'd definitely check the MFD voltage values both with and without any of the accessories connected/plugged-in. Could be one or more of them are pulling a higher than expected drain. Not terribly likely but you never know, some 12v accessories like cheap knock-off phone chargers, or electric coolers, draw a lot more power than you might think.

Otherwise it'd be odd for a '16 to have battery or alternator problems. Not impossible, but unlikely.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Z06Modder
The light that comes on is not in the MFD, it's the hazards button down on the center control panel. It just comes on solid whenever the headlights turn on. I will chime back in with my voltage reading however, thanks for that.
I'll have to see what mine does - but I believe it lights up with the headlights so you can easily find it at night. It works if you press it? (The hazards/turnsignals flash?)
Old 07-29-2017, 10:18 AM
Z06Modder
6th Gear

Default Re:

Yes, believe it is just lit up for illumination. My wife read the manual while I was driving and mistook some other MFD low voltage warning for the hazard light/button. I believe all is well - thank you for your help.

Quick Reply: Hazard light comes on when headlights are on?