Sponsored By:

Reductant Tank (AdBlue) Heater - error P202A00

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:54 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Reductant Tank (AdBlue) Heater - error P202A00

Well I just got this CEL (yellow - ok to drive) and used Durametric to check it out. Seems I have a bad AdBlue heater now that I'm at 39,172 miles, 2013 CD.

Did some online research, mostly the VW and Audi forums and while it is not a common problem, it is a known problem. Some have gone bad around my mileage and others around 70,000 miles. By the way, many who have had this issue report they have driven for months without problems, as long as the outdoor temps were warm(ish).

I'll have to take it in and get it replaced, should be a warranty item (even under standard warranty timeframe). We'll see what is required for the remedy - how long and how complex.

Here is the Durametric error code.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 AM
JWLindsey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two '13 CD's and both had the AdBlue heaters fail at around 37k miles about six months ago. Porsche covered the repair cost and apparently the old part number has been superseded as the old part tended to fail. The repair is a bit labor intensive as they have to drop the fuel tank to get to it but hopefully yours will be covered under warranty too. It's a non critical failure so you don't have to hurry to fix it up and could just do it at the next service interval.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:46 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Just for grins I cleared all codes and it went away. I'll drive more and see if it comes back. Not too worried, just don't like the hassle of dropping off and waiting for repairs. But at least it should be covered by the warranty.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:03 AM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys, just had the same, CEL yesterday (2013 CD with 20k miles). They took it apart yesterday and it needs new Adblue heater and they thought pump as well.
I have 2 friends with ~2012 Audi Q7 TDI's , 1 of them (who sold his) said the Audi service tech told him they had a client with a high mileage Q7 TDI who replaced 'all 4' common Adblue components twice .
I really hope these parts have been improved as that basically describes a wear item, not a durable, reliable component.
My original warranty expires Aug 2016, but I bought the extended warranty off the hop almost 4 years ago, but yes, agree that despite cost being covered it is a hassle.
?- If I'm remembering correctly my friends' Q7's gave them a mileage 'countdown' after these faults whereafter the car wouldn't allow any starts?
Does this sound familiar?
I took my car back as parts have to be ordered and we are planning a road trip this weekend so I don't want the car to potentially not start for this currently uncorrected fault.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:44 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine just got fixed last week. It failed the week before (cel) and I just had it reset but it came on again within 300 miles and 5-6 engine cycles. Took several hours at the dealership and they had the part in stock. I didn't know the tank had to be dropped! We have 22k miles on our CD. And I do not think our cars will fail to start unless you have "no adblue." The heater will not affect the reliability of the vehicle unless in cold temps according to my SA.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:44 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For sure re. no Adblue won't start. It's just that for me they 'think' the Adblue pump has gone as well (not sure why there is uncertainty re. working/not working), anyhow was just wondering if this effectively could be interpreted by the vehicle as 'no Adblue' and threaten to shut me down. Gonna roll the dice anyways this weekend and take 'er for our road trip. Thanks for the response.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:09 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

I haven't taken mine in ... yet ... the CEL keeps resetting itself (clears by itself) then comes on a few days later. Clearly there is a problem with the heater, sending unit, the sensor or all of them. But as noted above unless outside temps get below 12.2 degF and the AdBlue tank temp gets below 19.4 degF, which at this time of year in my location won't happen, I don't need the heater to run and the DME won't try to turn it on.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:10 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread for a moment. Since my last post on this topic, 5-19-2016, the check engine light for the AdBlue tank heater has been OK, i.e. not showing up. But as of Sat, 7-9-2016 it came back on. Clearly I have yet to take it in for repairs, optimistically hoping it was a glitch as the CD ran fine without any CEL for almost two months. I guess my optimism was oversold. I'm sure it will go out again (each ignition cycle is tests the heater and sometimes it gets the proper voltage reading so no CEL and sometimes it doesn't so I get a CEL).

Optimism is over, next up, an appointment with the dealer for a fix. Maybe I'll ask them to go ahead and fix the 3.0L diesel emissions problem while they're at it ...
Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Add me to the list. Other than second hand falling off on the clock (3x) this is the only issue I've had in 48k miles.

The irony is i was just at the dealer today getting the diesel inspection... dammit.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:55 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Add me to the list. Other than second hand falling off on the clock (3x) this is the only issue I've had in 48k miles.

The irony is i was just at the dealer today getting the diesel inspection... dammit.

Yep on the early vehicles 2013 - ??? this is a wear item (translation, bad design).

My lesson learned from this is to go in whenever you can make a schedule work. It is a very easy fix for the shop but will take around 1/2 a day. To and from is the biggest hassle but tell them you must have a loaner which makes the to and from a bit easier. Oh, and when I was in for the AdBlue heater, they also replaced my clock (only 2nd time for me) this time I hadn't even noticed the second hand had fallen off - never missed it.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:06 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I had mine replaced two weeks ago (it went at 99k miles or so). Took 2 hours to fix; I sat in the dealership and waited, and also got the VW rep inspection done at the same time. No issue with the warranty claim.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Well I live close to the dealer so not too big of a hassle. production is 4/13 so I guess early. I have a dash rattle they need to chase too so will just leave car with them.

Started car this morning and no CEL on though, need to check w/ diametric to see if it's still stored as pending.

Quick Reply: Reductant Tank (AdBlue) Heater - error P202A00