Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodwood festival of speed - who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:45 AM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I think I remembered you. Were you the one with the Leica taking pictures?

One of the Singer people used to work for Porsche, specifically the US 918 team, that's why

Anyway, Walliser is a great guy, young and smart and he is gonna have a bright future within the company.

BTW, for the lanyards, the acid green Porsche ones indicate they are 918 customers, that's why they got to be 'inside the rope".
Wow sir!! That was indeed me!! Great deductive skills!

Ah that explains the warmth to which he was speaking to singer - his wife and son seemed genuinely interested in the targa car too.

I assumed there was some kind of pecking order when picking up our lanyard as there always is at these kind of things but was great to see the cars up close and the stand never got too busy which was great too!
Old 07-03-2017, 02:54 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Kills Bugs Fast
Wow sir!! That was indeed me!! Great deductive skills!

Ah that explains the warmth to which he was speaking to singer - his wife and son seemed genuinely interested in the targa car too.

I assumed there was some kind of pecking order when picking up our lanyard as there always is at these kind of things but was great to see the cars up close and the stand never got too busy which was great too!

Those sweet bokeh can only come from a Leica, nothing else. As you are an owner, you know that Leica 'feel' when seeing pictures

The Targa was owned by a 918 owner too, and he is on Rennlist also. I will let him out himself if he wishes. Let's just say this is his 3rd Singer, and everyone and their mother has more seat time than him in the Targa
Old 07-03-2017, 03:16 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Nothing beats Leica glass but a fast Canon L lens is no slouch. The longer the focal length (and speed), the better for bokeh. Love my Leica Q for travel; Canon EOS 1D is used when telephotos are needed.

I'm tempted to make Pebble Beach this year -- last year's coverage here put it on my bucket list.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:52 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

Great event. Very well organized. Top notch facilities and logistics. Wealth of cars, displays, and activities to see/participate in. Food wasn't even too shabby by British standards Definitely need at least two days to take it all in. And despite all the warnings we had zero issues with traffic.

Only complaint: whichever marketing genius decided it made sense to release all the GT2 RS details to the public via internet and configurator on Thursday, then deny those who made the trek out to Goodwood on Friday a chance to see the car needs to be taken out behind the woodshed and given a solid thrashing.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:03 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Great event. Very well organized. Top notch facilities and logistics. Wealth of cars, displays, and activities to see/participate in. Food wasn't even too shabby by British standards Definitely need at least two days to take it all in. And despite all the warnings we had zero issues with traffic.

Only complaint: whichever marketing genius decided it made sense to release all the GT2 RS details to the public via internet and configurator on Thursday, then deny those who made the trek out to Goodwood on Friday a chance to see the car needs to be taken out behind the woodshed and given a solid thrashing.
Totally agree. This year I only had one day spare day (Friday) to get to Goodwood so made the effort to get there from Europe only to find the car still under cover even though all the details were already released. Other than Saturday being July 1st, I have no idea what was so magical about doing it on the Saturday instead of the Friday. Friday's used to be relatively quiet but are now just as popular as the weekend. The crowd was huge so a great brand building opportunity was missed.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:06 AM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Those sweet bokeh can only come from a Leica, nothing else. As you are an owner, you know that Leica 'feel' when seeing pictures

The Targa was owned by a 918 owner too, and he is on Rennlist also. I will let him out himself if he wishes. Let's just say this is his 3rd Singer, and everyone and their mother has more seat time than him in the Targa
Ha indeed you can! Without risk of taking this OT - I am a sucker for the Leica "feeling" - I have always shot film (film MP) but the M10 is my first foray into digital and have to say it's the best shooting experience I have had that isn't film. I am sucker for good Leica glass and shooting wide open! Even at 1.4

As for the singer, it really is beautiful - my friend owns the London car and has nothing but amazing things to say about the whole process (no matter how long it took!) - wanted to spend more time checking it out but was by far one of the most popular (smaller) stands with pretty hefty crowds - will try again at the next event!!
Old 07-03-2017, 05:20 AM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by WernerE
Nothing beats Leica glass but a fast Canon L lens is no slouch. The longer the focal length (and speed), the better for bokeh. Love my Leica Q for travel; Canon EOS 1D is used when telephotos are needed.

I'm tempted to make Pebble Beach this year -- last year's coverage here put it on my bucket list.

1D is a great piece of kit!
Old 07-03-2017, 05:30 AM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by changster123
What color is that for the 991.2 GT3? Looks neither like Guards Red nor Lava Orange.
it is the launch spec Guards red - I haven't done any post edit and there were no filters on the lens either (just a hood).

I have to say that when I was at Geneva and when I saw it again at FOS it does look deeper than Guards red and it always catches me out - but I assume that's a function of all the lights etc and I also assume my eyes are somewhat coloured by sheer excitement!
Old 07-03-2017, 06:24 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 11 Posts

Great report! I was there as well Saturday and Sunday. Spent quite a lot of time at Singer on Sunday and Dr. Walliser came back with his wife and kids...they do really love the car and were looking with great interest at all the details asking loads of questions. A funny thing is he had no idea of the price of the car...he hinted his older son was a big fan of the car and he should have started saving to buy him one in a few years, then asked about the price and it was like "oh ok, sorry but it's never going to happen son!"

All in a great event, I think the Festival of Speed is becoming better and better every year, it is just fantastic especially when blessed with the kind of weather we had.

As a plus this year I was lucky enough to drive a car up the hill both on Saturday and Sunday...being in the assembly area with legends like Derek Bell, Jochen Mass, Jackie Stewart, Emanuele Pirro and many more sitting in the cars around you would be something I will never forget!

P.s. The GT2 RS is a beast, I absolutely love it...everything is amazing about it, the Uber Porsche I've been waiting for a long time!!!
Old 07-03-2017, 06:47 AM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by maxt
Great report! I was there as well Saturday and Sunday. Spent quite a lot of time at Singer on Sunday and Dr. Walliser came back with his wife and kids...they do really love the car and were looking with great interest at all the details asking loads of questions. A funny thing is he had no idea of the price of the car...he hinted his older son was a big fan of the car and he should have started saving to buy him one in a few years, then asked about the price and it was like "oh ok, sorry but it's never going to happen son!"

All in a great event, I think the Festival of Speed is becoming better and better every year, it is just fantastic especially when blessed with the kind of weather we had.

As a plus this year I was lucky enough to drive a car up the hill both on Saturday and Sunday...being in the assembly area with legends like Derek Bell, Jochen Mass, Jackie Stewart, Emanuele Pirro and many more sitting in the cars around you would be something I will never forget!

P.s. The GT2 RS is a beast, I absolutely love it...everything is amazing about it, the Uber Porsche I've been waiting for a long time!!!

Thank you MaxT - I really wanted to come back on the Sunday as I def didn't have enough time to see everything and spend time soaking it all up! however, my parents pulled the grandparents card and had me going to theirs with the baby - I made it clear the sacrifice I was making to illicit more food however.

Yes I noticed on the Saturday his wife and son had split away from the good Dr and were asking Singer their own questions, especially on the beautifully finished frunk.

I am actually an avid follower of you on social media sir, and saw what can only be described as one of the best pictures from the whole event with you at the start of the hill climb in the 750! If ever there was a pinch yourself bucket list moment that would have been it for me!

Totally agree the GT2 RS is a beast - I know there is a lot of talk of its price and capabilities - but if we were all to approach these things rationally then what would be the fun in that - at the end of the day its gives me the fizz in all the right places like so many of the poster cars that were up on my wall growing up
Old 07-03-2017, 11:11 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Kills Bugs Fast..... simply amazing pictures!

and a great tale as well...

slainte mhath
Old 07-03-2017, 11:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

A few more pix for those not able to make the event....

Old 07-04-2017, 12:04 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow. Great pix!

Thanks KBF, Nizer et al.

Inspirational - I gotta go next year.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nacelle
Kills Bugs Fast..... simply amazing pictures!

and a great tale as well...

slainte mhath
Originally Posted by laranja
Wow. Great pix!

Thanks KBF, Nizer et al.

Inspirational - I gotta go next year.
Thanks guys!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:08 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Only complaint: whichever marketing genius decided it made sense to release all the GT2 RS details to the public via internet and configurator on Thursday, then deny those who made the trek out to Goodwood on Friday a chance to see the car...
Yes, hilarious.

Also funny: The car was uncovered in the morning. When a group of VIP's, I assume, came they covered it up to "reveal" it.

Quick Reply: Goodwood festival of speed - who's going?