Rennlist Member

Received 12,121 Likes on 5,269 Posts
Default Chris Harris Drives: Porsche 911R vs Peugeot 205 Rallye

https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris...eot-205-rallye
Old 06-19-2017, 02:46 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hes become a right royal pratt - "for those of us that like to drive" - "zeitgeist from those paddles and other bobbins"

Heres a thought for Chris - some us like to drive and like the other bobbins (some of us actually recognise DCT in high performance cars save the endless cog 3 replacement, fried clutches, blown diffs and money shifts etc). He needs to a hit a pot hole at a 100mph and tell us what that hydraulic racks feed back is like - its brutal even with kick back valves.

The footage of him heel and toeing is funny - this is something any one can learn to do - its not some special magic that takes years to master. Its one of the first things you learn to do when you start in any form of competitive driving.

I think Im completely and utterly over auto journos that tell us what "real" "enthusiasts" "purists" and "those of us that like to drive " should think and do. No wonder the BBC Top Gear bombed - takes itself fat too seriously

Last edited by randr; 06-19-2017 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Chris Harris is actually one of the few I still watch, but I also can't make it through these 10min videos anymore in which the latest demolishes the previous or in which the really old stuff is so much better than the recent stuff. I guess it's just a case of getting too many reviews and superficial opinions from people that don't have to pay for the product themselves and often can't actually drive that well (Chris can, though). Forums are now often the better source to get objective information.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:43 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

I agree, but it's not just him and it's not just car reviewers. Fairly regularly people comment how much they like my RS but are surprised that I didn't buy it in a manual. Average non-enthusiasts still think of a sports car as having a manual gear box.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:13 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 1,005 Likes on 434 Posts

Quick, lets all go grab the Peugeot while we can. In 6 months time it will be selling at 300k over sticker
Old 06-20-2017, 07:24 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

On its surface yeah articles and videos are starting to lose luster. I guess he is getting back to what's essential in a car and driver experience.

That's a tough job to come up with new material and expletives.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:32 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 131 Posts

This video makes a great point. It is an analogy for what should be emphasized in car experiences now that they are all flipping fast enough. I have similar feelings every time I get back into my Lotus. I would gladly take only 400hp in a Porsche if it weighed 2500 lbs. as it is now, modern Porsches really need a race track to be appreciated.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 205GTI back when they were new. (The Rallye was a budget version, when you used to pay less for a stripped out car, not more!)
Of course there is no real comparison, but in a way I can see where he's coming from.

Of the cars I've owned, I'd put 205GTI, DC2 Tyoe R Integra, Integrale Evo 2 , Subaru Impreza, Lotus Exige S and the 911R in the same pot. Maybe the original V8 manual R8.
Obviously very different in many ways, but all have pushed many of the same buttons for me at different times.

I would say the R is the best all-round package so far (til I get a CGT at least..), and I can't see me ever selling it, but can I honestly say I didn't have more fun blasting round in a 1.6GTi, with lift off oversteer and handbrake turns in the snow - I don't think I can.

Don't want to revisit it now, as it would no doubt be a let-down, but definitely tempted from time to time.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
This video makes a great point. It is an analogy for what should be emphasized in car experiences now that they are all flipping fast enough. I have similar feelings every time I get back into my Lotus. I would gladly take only 400hp in a Porsche if it weighed 2500 lbs. as it is now, modern Porsches really need a race track to be appreciated.
A lot of truth in that.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Agree with Mike, Randr and Tstafford: Everything new crushes last years. Everything old is much preferred to that which is technically and performance wise superior.

Ironic paradox. Faster is better. Less is more.

PAG should do another run of classic 911s from the 60s or 70s. Would they sell? Less is more.

Maybe the answer is to buy what you love and stop listening to others telling you what you should like.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:25 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

the first and the real Widow maker

this is purism the remainder is granmas poser marketing

Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Yep. Every sports car design choice now is lap times and fuel efficiency, lap times and fuel efficiency. The 911R may be a refreshing in that the put together pieces from the lego set in terms of making a better driver's car, but still every piece of that lego set was designed for lap times and fuel efficiency. If Porsche took a page from Toyota's book and built a car from the ground up to be fun to drive, but for 100k, they could do something amazing. Instead we know already that the 992 will shave X seconds off the Nurburgring time, be X mpg better than the 991.2, and be no more fun to drive.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree as well, they're so fast and competent now, at least here, you have to do very illegal speeds to get any kind of excitement. But it's hard to quantify agility and handling and I guess harder to sell as a result.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Drives: Porsche 911R vs Peugeot 205 Rallye