996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need advice on whether to buy a 996.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 04:54 AM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto on above. If you like a project this could be one; still I think you can find better ones if that is your goal. I think you can flip the discussion and ask yourself if all the necessary work is done to have the car in drivable state again what would it be worth? 12k? Because it did not run for 7 years so likely there is stuff to be fixed you don't know about yet. So what is then the value of what is currently for sale?, 3-4K?
Old 06-11-2017, 09:41 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

I'm afraid JI is correct on this one! If you're just looking for a project that will take a long time to sort out, and you don't mind spending countless hours and money on that car is for you. I wouldn't pay more than roller money for it, because more than likely that's what it is - or will be shortly... buyer beware!!!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:13 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Every time I buy a project car, I end up regretting it.

Every.

Freaking.

Time.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:43 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If this car was remotely close to a "good deal," I would have expected THE MECHANIC to have undertaken this project already. He obviously already knew years ago that it was NOT worth his time/money/energy/grief, etc.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:56 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

These are all around the country
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=177736837
Old 06-11-2017, 01:09 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My guess is you think you are buying "a cheap Porsche." Let me tell you that animal does not exist in the wild. Viola metallic, sitting for 7 years, transmission problems, body damage, driver seat stuck, prior damage, owner refused to put any money into it... HOLY FREAKING SHEETS - you are about to purchase a very very expensive Porsche.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do this with it

Old 06-11-2017, 03:31 PM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with kromdom, the biggest red flag to me is why is the mechanic not swapping trans and selling the car.

If if you can get a solid reasonable answer to that then buy it. I agree that you may be able to find a solid car for the same end money, but sometimes that is borning.

Originally Posted by kromdom
If this car was remotely close to a "good deal," I would have expected THE MECHANIC to have undertaken this project already. He obviously already knew years ago that it was NOT worth his time/money/energy/grief, etc.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:39 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I really have no horse in this race -- and personally, I would probably walk away from that $7k car. But, the potential problem with all those $15k 996's out there is that you still have to find one that has been properly maintained. Otherwise, you can drop 3 to 5k on deferred maintenance items ... and end up spending about what a decent car would cost anyway.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:09 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
Probably true. Although I had an interesting conversation recently with the owner of a local auto repair business. He was telling me about the number of cars -- a surprising number, at least to me -- that have been abandoned by owners who brought them in for repairs and then just walked away.

Like most shops, he'll start assessing a storage fee seven days after the owner is asked to pick up the car -- whether it has been repaired or the owner has elected not to repair it. After a month, he sends a registered letter to the owner detailing the storage charges. At some point, the storage cost reaches the point where he can file a lien on the car. I know that he has had complete and partial cars in this process for years ... maybe not seven years, though I think he said he'd had some things sitting around for almost that long.

The upshot? He hates to do this. He says - and I believe him - that he really doesn't want to take ownership of cars, doesn't want to put time and money into cars for sale, and doesn't particularly want to sell cars. Obviously, everyone runs their business differently, and I'm sure the laws governing this stuff vary state to state ... but it may simply be that the OP's mechanic let this car sit for a while because he was too busy to file the lien, and then just couldn't be bothered putting his own time and money into it. It's easier for him to sell it as is, and he turns a profit either way. Why he didn't do that years ago is anyone's guess -- but I can understand why he might not have done any repairs.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:05 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by KoB
I really have no horse in this race -- and personally, I would probably walk away from that $7k car. But, the potential problem with all those $15k 996's out there is that you still have to find one that has been properly maintained. Otherwise, you can drop 3 to 5k on deferred maintenance items ... and end up spending about what a decent car would cost anyway.
Absolutely plan on spending 3-5K in this price range. But a driving project car is better to start with than the one being discussed. A thorough PPI is a must.
There are several under $20K that look like good buys as well.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:07 PM
black04
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zshark
... there is a terrible sound from the transmission, especially when coasting in gear (goes away when push in clutch)....
From your description one can not say that this is a transmission problem.
If I remember Auto Shop 1a, the clutch is between the engine and the transmission. So the transmission is still turning when you push in the clutch.

I'm not sure what that means, but the solution may be more simple than you think. Maybe the clutch or clutch bearings. Maybe even an LSD problem.

Someone who knew more about transmissions would probably drive the car and note if the noise changes with acceleration, deceleration and cornering, with and without throttle
Old 06-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by KoB
Even if you get a good $15k car (mine was $14.8k and so far no scored bores, no cracks, very low oil consumption, good mileage etc) you still have to drop money in.

After driving it 6 miles from where I bought it, I spend $2500 just on parts and tools (my labor, so free) before I comfortably drove it...

It still needs some minor things...
Old 06-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Kris Murphy
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Zshark
First post guys, thanks for reading. I want to know your opinion on a car that I have found.

It is a 2000 996 C4 6 speed. Viola metallic. It has been sitting in a mechanic's yard for 7 years. The car needs a transmission and the owner never would put the money together to have it replaced. The car runs and drives but there is a terrible sound from the transmission, especially when coasting in gear (goes away when push in clutch). The driver's seat is stuck all the way back. It has some light body damage from being pushed around the yard so many times. I also saw some evidence of previous paint and bodywork on the driver's quarter panel. Interior is in decent shape. I think the car could be had for about $7,000. My intentions would be to daily it with occasional track use.
If you end up buying it, I have a transmission available out of a 2000 C4. PM me if interested.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:55 PM
chamilun
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought a running car with higher miles for 6500 a couple years ago. offer him 5k

Quick Reply: Need advice on whether to buy a 996.