Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Just traded '15 911 GTS2 for 16 GT4...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 08:49 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Just traded '15 911 GTS2 for 16 GT4...

Hi guys,

I haven't been in the middie camp since selling my 2004 986 Boxster 550SE years ago and moving into 911 Turbos. Looking forward to the GT4 experience.

I gave PDK a fair shake -- two years this April. It is a fantastic, unbelievable, game-changing transmission. I literally have nothing bad to say about it. And I'm very glad I owned one long enough to truly know it. I used it in manual Sport or Sport+ mode 99% or more of the time, so I got to choose my gears and the computer didn't override or bother me about it. Learning the new trans was fun and a nice experience for this decades-long clutched-manual user.

But I'm ready to go back. I ordered my GTS (GT Silver over Garnet Red and Black) and got exactly what I wanted at the time. But I just keep having this nagging "wish it was a 6M" voice in the back of my head. And over the past week it's moved to the front of my head.

I've been perusing the forum for a little while; not interested in making more power right now. Read about the transmission failure issues (first I'd heard of that.) Anything else in particular I might need to know? Picking it up Wednesday 3.5 hours away, so a nice little bonding time on the way home.

Au revoir, GTS.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:07 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 615 Posts

Congrats and enjoy in the best of health! Nice way to start - a bonding road trip!!

We'll need pics of course!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:03 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats and enjoy. Nothing in particular you need to worry about.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by tasman
Congrats and enjoy. Nothing in particular you need to worry about.
Thanks! And good to hear.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 AM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually need to worry about speeding tickets as it seems the wing draws the PO like moths to light...I swear my silver 997 S barely got attention from them.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:31 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!! Enjoy the drive home!
Old 06-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,452 Likes on 756 Posts

I would say take a week or two before you pass judgement. Some people just "get it" and others just do not give themselves enough time to understand this model. The GT4 is a very interesting car in my opinion. So far it is the only car that the more I drive it the more I like it. After 6 months I usually grow bored but has been over a year now and still grinning. I've had Turbos, R8 V10, C2S, 991 GT3 - and so far this is my favorite. The 6-speed is just sublime and the car is just the right size and really fun to chuck around. Now that i think about it- this car is just "hooligan" type of fun and makes you feel like a teenager again.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:03 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would say take a week or two before you pass judgement. Some people just "get it" and others just do not give themselves enough time to understand this model. The GT4 is a very interesting car in my opinion. So far it is the only car that the more I drive it the more I like it. After 6 months I usually grow bored but has been over a year now and still grinning. I've had Turbos, R8 V10, C2S, 991 GT3 - and so far this is my favorite. The 6-speed is just sublime and the car is just the right size and really fun to chuck around. Now that i think about it- this car is just "hooligan" type of fun and makes you feel like a teenager again.
^ You definitely shouldn't sell, then, my friend.

Congrats, NoGaBiker! That was a fine looking GTS, and please post pics of your GT4 when you can!
Old 06-06-2017, 08:37 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Thanks for the encouragement. Good to hear it's a car that grows on you as you plumb its depths. I've been running Carreras and Turbos for years now, but spent time in 986s earlier, as I alluded to. Which is not to say this experience will be equivalent, but I'm really enjoying the idea of admitting I no longer need the extra sophistication of the 911 platform, and just giving back in to my inner hooligan feels good.

My other daily driver is a nicely built 2-door Wrangler that I drive probably 4 out of 7 days on average. So the "rawness" of the GT4 platform shouldn't be off-putting to me.

And laugh all you want, but one of my all-time favorite cars was my 94 Miata that I turbo'd in '96. Hoping to reclaim some of that wild abandon but with a healthy dose of NVH reduction!

Old 06-06-2017, 11:19 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 783 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. Your former GTS looked awesome as well!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 06:58 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Have to agree with you Jimmy, l have driven lots of different cars and can't remember having this much fun as l do with my GT4. It really is a brilliant car.
You don't think you'll miss it when the 991.2 GT3 arrives ?
Old 06-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,452 Likes on 756 Posts

^Will be a very tough decision when the time comes. I am trying not worry about it and just enjoying my GT4 for another year.

The good thing is I have plenty of time to hear from GT4 Owners as they start getting their .2 GT3s as to if they think it was worth it.

Lets not kid ourselves- the engine appears sick in the .2 GT3 and that is basically what I would be trading for
Old 06-07-2017, 09:46 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Timely post. I am thinking about GT4 to GTS as I type this.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:10 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

^Will be a very tough decision when the time comes. I am trying not worry about it and just enjoying my GT4 for another year.

The good thing is I have plenty of time to hear from GT4 Owners as they start getting their .2 GT3s as to if they think it was worth it.

Lets not kid ourselves- the engine appears sick in the .2 GT3 and that is basically what I would be trading for
A high revving rear engine vs a mid mount balanced one, plus the big price difference, tough decision.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Wow! This is a seriously fun car. And I haven't even seen a twisty road yet. More on that after this weekend.

I'm going to post a couple of separate threads with questions, for future searching purposes.

Quick Reply: Just traded '15 911 GTS2 for 16 GT4...