Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

16v head worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 16v head worth fixing?

I have a 2.5L 16 valve with bad intake camshaft journals, the intake camshaft had three broken teeth and broken rear thrust washer housing? Here is a photo of #7 cylinder camshaft cap. Is it worth fixing?

Old 06-04-2017, 11:09 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

It's unclear from your description whether there's more damage to the head than the cam cap in the photo. If it's just this cam cap, polish it with some 400 then 600 grit wet sandpaper. If those black specs are metal embedded in the aluminum, be sure the bits of trash are removed before you sand. When done, you can install a cam (with oil) and torque the caps to make sure the cam turns happily.

You should also remove the plugs from the oil galleys in the head and flush them out; also make sure the oil restrictor is functional and replace the o-rings. IIRC, they are #10 and #11. Porsche doesn't list them.

I've had trouble with the oil plugs that Porsche provides. They recently went from a gold colored plug (never an issue) to silver colored plugs. Install them with 574, and if they're silver, be sure to swedge each of them so they don't blow out. That would ruin your day.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:21 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd definitely not throw it away. Whether it's worth it or not depends on the rarity and these will eventually get rare.

How much out of clearance is it...?

If just a couple of thousandths would clean it up, the flat parts of the caps that mate to the head can be machined and then the intake cam bore align bored.

If it's worse, the affected caps (and head) could be welded and align bored.
I repaired some bad corrosion pits on the coolant side where head gasket seals on a 944S head once, takes a/c tig nice.

There is a method to spray metal to bring back stock dimension after align boring too.

If you decide against investing and think it's junk, I'd take it off your hands.

As it sits...., it's worth about the price of shipping....

T
Old 06-05-2017, 01:40 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

As Michael pointed out, those are most likely serviceable. In worse case (not usable) you can use caps from another head and align-hone them. BTDT with one 16v head, worked perfectly. Just need a machine shop that has clue how to do this properly.

Quick Reply: 16v head worth fixing?