Sponsored by:

PSE Isn't Very Loud

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:58 PM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Best way to tell is to roll your windows down, place in sport + mode if you have SC. Take rpm up to about 4500 rpm and then let off the gas. It will sound like gunfire or a war behind you.

You also need your exhaust fully warmed up for best results. Oil temp at 196 and you should be good to go with the fireworks.

How exactly is an exhaust system "worn in"?
Not really sure, maybe something about the packing in the muffler? But I can tell you after, having had it installed twice, it defentaly got louder after a few weeks of driving.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:47 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 131 Posts

After reading this I drove into a parking garage and compared. It's a very immediate and noticeable difference in mine. Especially in sport plus mode.

I added PSE after I took delivery, parts from Suncoast.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:01 AM
991howl
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default same thing here

Had a similar issue.

1) Part from Suncoast, PSE installed by a dealer (6 months ago)
2) Post install, I did hear/felt changes to the sound but not to the same levels shown in videos/youtube.
3) I thought, it was just mental, until I rode (as a passenger) in a friends 911 (same year/model except it was MT). I know what u are thinking, PDK vs MT shifting, high RPM etc etc.
4) I went to the dealer and complained that mine wasn't loud enough as my friends :-)
5) They performed some "checks/diagnostics" and informed me, that the install was clean and they didn't find any issues.
6) But the moment, I left the dealer parking lot, I felt/heard the difference. I drove for another 30mins (std, Sports, sports+ modes), I knew I wasn't imagining.
7) I called the dealer service and asked, if they did any resets or any other software stuff? They informed me, that nothing was done to it.
8) To the chagrin of my wife and smiles on my 1st grader, it was louder than before. So, didn't push for answers:-)
Old 05-19-2017, 10:02 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbull65
Not really sure, maybe something about the packing in the muffler? But I can tell you after, having had it installed twice, it defentaly got louder after a few weeks of driving.
Dbull65 is correct. Mufflers that have fiberglass matting inside often get a bit louder after initial break-in. Some of the fiberglass will compress and channels will develop through it over time. I know the 997.2 side cans had this matting, I imagine the 991 side cans do as well. One of the old-school hacks to make exhausts louder was to cut open the muffler and remove the packing altogether.

Here's a photo from a 997 thread that shows the packing. The thread itself is here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-cut-open.html
Old 05-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

While it doesn't feel particularly loud from within the car, it's plenty loud on the outside. My sister commented the other day that she could hear me coming a long ways off from her house.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Can you share a clip of it with PSE on and PSE off?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
While it doesn't feel particularly loud from within the car, it's plenty loud on the outside. My sister commented the other day that she could hear me coming a long ways off from her house.
Agreed, while it does not sound extremely loud inside, my daughter was in front of me in her VW Golf, I was behind her in my 911 with PSE on and she said she heard me the whole time, even when I was behind a few other cars and her.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:41 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
If you don't hear noticeably louder pops and crackles on deceleration at mid-to-high RPMs then it is not working. That is when the difference is most obvious.

The under-the-freeway bridge or tunnel test is the other place to test the PSE. The sound bounces back to you there and you can hear the difference under acceleration more clearly.
I do hear the pops and crackles on deceleration, so I guess that means it's working properly. But if I have to wait for a bridge or tunnel to hear the loudness, then I guess that means it's loud since I do hear it there. But not very detectible while in the drivers seat on the open road.

I remember it being much louder on my boxster, even with the top up. I guess because the driver, engine and exhaust being being much closer to each other.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:46 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
After reading this I drove into a parking garage and compared. It's a very immediate and noticeable difference in mine. Especially in sport plus mode.

I added PSE after I took delivery, parts from Suncoast.
My parts came from Suncoast as well, installed by local dealer.

As a driver, it's a bit disappointing that I have to wait for garage and tunnel echos to really hear it. Seems it's just the mechanics of the driver sitting too far ahead of the symphony.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:50 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Originally Posted by 991howl
Had a similar issue.

But the moment, I left the dealer parking lot, I felt/heard the difference. I drove for another 30mins (std, Sports, sports+ modes), I knew I wasn't imagining.
Interesting that nothing was done, but it was distinctly different after leaving the dealer check. Makes me think it's worth a dealer check to confirm it's working properly.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:54 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Where in NC are you? I'll be in Fayetteville, NC and the Raleigh, NC area here in another 2 weeks or so.
Most of my time is spent in Seattle, where my 911 is. But I have a place near Winston-Salem, NC where I also have a Cayenne. Raleigh is a great area. I get there often. Would be happy to meet up sometime.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:00 PM
be_cuey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my PSE yesterday. Seems to get louder the hotter the exhaust gets. It wasn't that much louder while cruising, but after putting it in sport+ and doing a few pulls, it got a louder.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:37 PM
midwesterner
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed the PSE recently (well 12 months ago). It was good but not great on the volume. The difference from a stock exhaust was noticeable but nothing to rave about. I always drive with the PSE on. I wanted something slightly louder and went with AWE. It's perfect. If the stock is a 5/10 on sound, the PSE is 7 and the AWE is 9. The fact that you can turn it off makes it even better.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Aaronr
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought the same thing since PSE in my 987 RS60 and 981 Boxster S were so much more dramatic from the inside- then I heard my 991 from outside- it was way louder than I thought.
Attached Files
Old 05-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by puppycat
I do hear the pops and crackles on deceleration, so I guess that means it's working properly. But if I have to wait for a bridge or tunnel to hear the loudness, then I guess that means it's loud since I do hear it there. But not very detectible while in the drivers seat on the open road.

I remember it being much louder on my boxster, even with the top up. I guess because the driver, engine and exhaust being being much closer to each other.

Pops and crackles are from ECU induced fuel dump backfiring. So that part is working.

You need to make sure the valves are working. Seriously, if you are idiling in the garage, windows down, and you hit the button, you should immediately hear a difference. Or, turn the car on, but don't start. Have someone sit in the car and work the button. Lay on the floor near the exhaust and listen for the valves actuating.

Quick Reply: PSE Isn't Very Loud