Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I have an old touareg hitch... to put on a cayenne.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:47 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Default So I have an old touareg hitch... to put on a cayenne.

This hitch has been sitting in my basement for like 6 years now, ever since I sold the touareg just about as long ago.

I have kept an eye out for cayenne hitches, but both hitches being almost identical, with touaregs being as cheap as a few hundred, and the cayennes going for 500, I decided to look at how feasible it would be to put this on the cayenne.

So physically, the only primary difference I see is there are welded "bumpers" that extend the tow point holes. I assume the touareg bumper is more shallow, so it is not an issues. Any other small things seem minor.

Cayenne

Touareg

The cheap aftermarket hitches do not even have recovery points, but I also figure at this point if I need to tie anything down, I have the hitch to tie to!

So that should not be an issue.

The other issue is the foam on the top is different, and used to wire parking and kessy sensors.

No problem this can be ordered: 95572202510

The kessy antennas are supposed to be clipped on the steel bumper, so will check that later.

Last is the module, the module I have, has a 7L0 part number, and is firmware programmable.

All my research says they are, with all parts ending after G being field programmable for firmware.

So as long as it is recognized on the can-bus should be good.

Just ordered the foam bit and the 12mm bolts (I only had 14mm ones from early cars)

Last edited by touareg; 05-17-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:30 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by touareg

Last is the module, the module I have, has a 7L0 part number, and is firmware programmable.

All my research says they are, with all parts ending after G being field programmable for firmware.

So as long as it is recognized on the can-bus should be good.

Just ordered the foam bit and the 12mm bolts (I only had 14mm ones from early cars)
I am about to install a tow kit on my Cayenne as well!

For the foam bit, would it be possible to shave the existing one down to fit?

Also, how do you update the firmware for the tow module? TIA!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 PM
touareg
Drifting

I will let you know when I get that far! The foam is cheap at around $30.

I had coded my module before, when it was in the treg, I am not sure if I need a firmware update, but if I do I will cross that road when I get to it. It might need to be added to the gateway.

Got the bolts today, pretty cheap at around $2.60 each, I had the old bolts for the old truck which was 14mm, all the later tregs and all cayennes has 12mm.

Waiting on my foam piece. I need to order a new kessy antenna as well, as my old one is not working.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:08 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Thanks for posting the part number! I actually went ahead and ordered the foam bit as well since it was relatively inexpensive.

Now that I've fixed most of the problems on my P!G <ducks, knocks on wood, crosses fingers>, I can start modding, first up is the hitch!
Old 05-18-2017, 04:22 PM
touareg
Drifting

I was thinking he foam might not be needed, I guess it depends what is on the bumper bar already in there.

Oh well if I wasted $30 but we shall see.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:01 AM
touareg
Drifting

Success! Basically a perfect fit, had to clean up the bar a bit, move the new foam in place. It looks like the touareg is the original bar, and modified for the cayenne, as the foam fits perfect.

The foam had sticky adhesive with it, so that was easy.

As a bonus I had kessy antenna errors, I unplugged the module, and it had corrosion in the pins, so I cleaned it up, sprayed with electrical cleaner and was able to clear the DTC!

Took about 20 mins to cut the bumper with a hacksaw blade, if you look close you can see the lines.

Also, installed the touareg module for towing, was not going to run it back behind the panel like the manual says, as I did not want to remove the side of the car. Zip ties and foam work well.

Was able to hook a tester up, and I see the turnsignal for the trailer indicator on the dash, and tested left and right at least, did not have an assistant for reverse or brake tests.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:15 AM
touareg
Drifting

Coding was at NAR, so that was good, everything looked good there.

I have an error in the gateway, that is because the module is not turned on there. Even though it appears to work, just not registered? I turned it on but get a negative response from the software, maybe I am locked out, not sure.

Software appears to be 0103, not sure if that can be updated. Says 0880 on the box itself.

---

---

---

Old 05-29-2017, 01:18 AM
touareg
Drifting

I will post a pic with the bumper back on tomorrow, if anyone wants...
Old 05-29-2017, 01:50 AM
touareg
Drifting

This may solve my issue, it is short code, so I should just have to re-code it and it may be fine.

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded

Possible Symptoms:
-Reduced Functionality
-Possible Causes
-Control Module incorrectly coded

Possible Solutions:
-Check Gateway Installation List
-Check/Fix Control Module Coding
-See Vehicle Specific Diagnostic Procedures for Details

Special Notes---
When found in CAN-Gateway:
On a Long Coded module, use the Gateway Installation List to check for unreachable or not registered control modules. Then update the Gateway [Installation List] by altering the Gateway Coding manually.
On a Short Coded modules, refresh the original coding with the same value. For example, code it from 00006 -to- 00006 without making an actual change.

Last edited by touareg; 05-29-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:41 PM
touareg
Drifting

Unfortunately could not get it enabled on the gateway. On the touareg I found notes that up to module L supports short coding, N and later support long coding. I see that new hitches come with N modules.

But old models came with the G module I have.

Looks like I need a PIWIS as Duramateric does not let you do coding on the gateway and Vag-Com says I need a security code.

Launch just gives me an error but does let me see the gateway installed list as shown above.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:28 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Originally Posted by touareg
I was thinking he foam might not be needed, I guess it depends what is on the bumper bar already in there.

Oh well if I wasted $30 but we shall see.
Turns out the foam was the same for the regular bar as it was for the hitch. For anyone wondering in the future, you can reuse the existing piece without any modifying, just some new double sided tape!

Touareg, for the 955, is there any coding necessary on the can gateway or another module? I was able to connect with vag-com to the tow module (#69) and confirmed that it is coded to "2".

Gorgeous Turbo S btw!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:26 AM
touareg
Drifting

For the gateway on the 955, I am not sure.

If all your signal lights work that is good. However things you can't really see are if the ride height gets locked, if the transmission shift points change, and I supposed you can check if the alarm goes off if a trailer wiring is detached.

I never had it on my 955.

My understanding is the Gateway has to have it enabled and the module it self coded, thats it.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:59 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Thanks for the input touareg. I plan on using the hitch for a bike rack and the occasional trailer rental, so I will not know until I rent one.

Using this info from ross-tech, it looks like all that was needed is the tow module plugged in and coded to NA.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...trofitting_(7L)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:26 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

To follow up on this -

I installed the tow module, verified the coding as "2", and tried to test the lights. No dice. The lights were flashing and I had no indication for trailer lights in the dash.

Went back and recoded the tow module as "2".

I also read on the touareg forum that recoding the gateway to its default of "6" can push it to rescan its modules. So I went ahead and recoded it to 6.

Went back to test the lights and it was successful! I even got the warning in the dash to check trailer lighting when just the adapter was plugged in with no lights attached.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:57 PM
derekmines
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Very timely thread this as I have a Touareg 7P electric retractable tow hitch to fit to my 958.1 Cayenne tomorrow.
I did end up buying a genuine Porsche wiring harness and module though, as I figured that might make life easier.

Sadly going to have to get the coding done at the dealer as I can't find anyone in the UK who codes using PIWIS which I understand will be needed.

Quick Reply: So I have an old touareg hitch... to put on a cayenne.