No more wide body LED tailights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Oak
...you'll look back at this and laugh at the goofy juvenile tendency to cheapen the look of the stock elegant look.
The stock units are elegant and classy looking. The pattern in the lens, especially on the top portion, is a great look. The black horizontal band is also a great design element, especially with the way it continues the flow of the small radius curve in the deck lid.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:26 PM
splitime
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
The stock units are elegant and classy looking. The pattern in the lens, especially on the top portion, is a great look. The black horizontal band is also a great design element, especially with the way it continues the flow of the small radius curve in the deck lid.

Darn it... I'm in full agreement with Dock

The design of the LEDs just do not match up to the body design of the car. When I met my wife... she had similar looking lights on her 2000 Civic... I promptly bought stock lights and threw the old ones in the trash.

I completely understand the desire to mod a car, but I haven't see any pictures of any of these design options to show me they actually look better. Of course its all opinion driven, my opinion is driven by many years being an art student and smart/beautiful design is something I look at/find in everything around me (except the LED lights people keep posting).
Old 05-14-2017, 12:49 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Not sure why people get so would up about what type of lights others like. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and you can't argue with that. Some guys are happy with OEMs, some are happy with LEDs. It's their right and no one should criticize them for it. It's their car and as long as it make them happy then that's what counts. Some like fat chicks with big buckets, some like em skinny. It's all good.

I never understood why the boys in Taiwan didn't simply stick with the OEM layout of silver on top / red on bottom and make the bulbs LED instead of chosing the bizarre layout that doesn't match a single line on the car. Had they done so they might have had a product that had a broader appeal and might have made it past the first production run before dying out...

Last edited by powdrhound; 05-15-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
..... I never understood why the boys in Taiwan didn't simply stick with the OEM layout of silver on top / red on bottom and make the bulbs LED instead of chosing the bizarre layout that doesn't match a single line on the car. Had they done so they might have had a product that had a broader appeal and might have made it past the first production run before dying out...
This.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:18 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I kind of think the new 911's look like a Japanese car from the rear with those long skinny lights. I dont like the look at all.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:41 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Let's see if we can all agree on what this thread has taught us:

Guys who like the LEDs think they update the car's looks nicely and like the safety aspect of brighter lights. They don't necessarily hate the OEM look, but think the OEM lights are kind of dingy and dull.

Guys who don't like the LEDs think they look cheap, cheesy, ricey, inelegant and don't match the rear decklid contour lines.

First world problem.

I doubt anybody is going to change my mind. I doubt that I'm gonna change anybody else's mind.

Good thing it's not a requirement for us to all match.

Did I miss anything?

Old 05-14-2017, 09:24 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

exactly
Old 05-14-2017, 10:50 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Let's see if we can all agree on what this thread has taught us:

Guys who like the LEDs think they update the car's looks nicely and like the safety aspect of brighter lights. They don't necessarily hate the OEM look, but think the OEM lights are kind of dingy and dull.

Guys who don't like the LEDs think they look cheap, cheesy, ricey, inelegant and don't match the rear decklid contour lines.

First world problem.

I doubt anybody is going to change my mind. I doubt that I'm gonna change anybody else's mind.

Good thing it's not a requirement for us to all match.

Did I miss anything?

Actually you did miss something:

It seems to me there are certain guys (in this thread and others as of late) that are so eager to bag on these "polarizing" cosmetic mods in such a (sometimes insensitive/rude) way that it begs to question an underlying motivation...

...the seemingly unconscious need to try to make themselves feel better/superior through the act of criticizing/insulting others. Some just seem to get off on putting others down. It's not always what you say but how you say it.

Ehhh, who cares. Their issue. I like 'em.

I don't however believe in "I-wish-I-were-a-997" headlight covers, over-the-top sticker kits, fake badges, etc...gotta draw the line somewhere.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:29 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Actually you did miss something:

It seems to me there are certain guys (in this thread and others as of late) that are so eager to bag on these "polarizing" cosmetic mods in such a (sometimes insensitive/rude) way that it begs to question an underlying motivation...

...the seemingly unconscious need to try to make themselves feel better/superior through the act of criticizing/insulting others. Some just seem to get off on putting others down. It's not always what you say but how you say it.

Ehhh, who cares. Their issue. I like 'em.

I don't however believe in "I-wish-I-were-a-997" headlight covers, over-the-top sticker kits, fake badges, etc...gotta draw the line somewhere.
agree.

these are "fake" elitists, given even single one of them had mods whether a a simple fvd steering wheel, or a faux GT3 wing. so whether their dislike is "genuine" or just a twisted sour grape..isn't even relevant. the few people in this thread, all of whom have mods, cosmetic ( some even extensive ) this is all much ado about nothing, and they ( thou ? lol ) protest too much.

so let's just call this a slow news cycle.

so, even though those of us have that now have LED taillights, and enjoy them and clearly SEE the wisdom along with the obvious aesthetic value of the swap.. and:

to others, and their "disproportionate", ( let alone misguided "disdain" ) for our having availed ourselves of a more "modern" lighting system, of one on the most critical safety features any car has, or can have, i.e. BRAKE LIGHTS! what can you say?

there are three kinds of people:

those that can "see".

those that "see" when things are explained to them... and..

those that will never "see" at all.

still, to each their own.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:56 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

After looking at the LED rears on multiple cars, I have come to realize the color of the car has a tendancy to effect the overall rear tailight look. The best look of the rear led tail lights seems to be on the white. This is not to say I am a fan, just an observation.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:42 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
agree.

these are "fake" elitists, given even single one of them had mods whether a a simple fvd steering wheel, or a faux GT3 wing. so whether their dislike is "genuine" or just a twisted sour grape..isn't even relevant. the few people in this thread, all of whom have mods, cosmetic ( some even extensive ) this is all much ado about nothing, and they ( thou ? lol ) protest too much.

so let's just call this a slow news cycle.

so, even though those of us have that now have LED taillights, and enjoy them and clearly SEE the wisdom along with the obvious aesthetic value of the swap.. and:

to others, and their "disproportionate", ( let alone misguided "disdain" ) for our having availed ourselves of a more "modern" lighting system, of one on the most critical safety features any car has, or can have, i.e. BRAKE LIGHTS! what can you say?

there are three kinds of people:

those that can "see".

those that "see" when things are explained to them... and..

those that will never "see" at all.

still, to each their own.
Ha...protest too much? Perhaps.

As of late I've been acutely aware of those rushing to judge and insult...vs attempting to support or encourage.

Perhaps...I'm looking to "see" my ways.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:13 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Back to pics...although I'd prefer an LED design closer to the stock look, I still don't see how these don't somehow go with the lines of the car. They certainly don't match the design of stock, but they still seem to follow the lines of the car to my eyes.

I guess I'm not as "astute" or as picky as others. I'm certainly no "art student" LOL.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:27 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

To each his own. I see why you guys like the LED lights.

Which is why I'm not trying to incite an argument when I say, I prefer how the stock lights look. It's one of the things I love about the 996TT. I'm no elitist -- my DD is a Civic. I just like to appreciate things for what they are.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:28 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

^ yeah, hypocrisy is something you can usually see without really looking, and that pic looks great. anyone says it doesn't, is lyin' ha. that sh*t is perfectly symmetrical.

so, who you gonna believe,.. me? or your lyin' eyes lol.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:31 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by manimal
To each his own. I see why you guys like the LED lights.

Which is why I'm not trying to incite an argument when I say, I prefer how the stock lights look. It's one of the things I love about the 996TT. I'm no elitist -- my DD is a Civic. I just like to appreciate things for what they are.
All good! I can certainly appreciate and respect that...and the way you state it.

Quick Reply: No more wide body LED tailights?