Sponsored by:

Interior Mods Valuation Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:06 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rolex11
Ferruccio Lamborghini didn't like a lot about the sports cars of his youth, especially Ferrari's. So he built his own sports cars. Sounds like you may be following in his foot steps.

Seriously.....not sure where you are in life or the financial resources you possess, or how many nice things you have now, but what you're going thru with this car reminds me of a saying we had when I was younger.

Every nice thing I bought or was given always had what we coined as "The Precious Stage". It was the center of the universe and crazy thoughts ran rampant through our minds. My first really nice bike was a Trek. Cost my folks $400 or $500. Mucho Dinero for them at the time. I wanted to paint, apply sticker to, and swap various components in a very bad way. I had dreams every night about doing this.

So....just a suggestion....own the car for 15 seconds first and see where you are on all these things you are OCDing over.

Remember, rock chips, door dings and idiots keying your paint await you.You'll spend plenty of coin correcting these things to satisfy your OCD needs.

6 months from now you'll realize it's just a car, a great car, but just a car, and will be more likely to do more reasonable modifications if you let "The Precious Stage" wear off first before secumming to every urge you are having now.
I hear you, but I've also searched for nearly a year to find the right car. What I'm planning on doing won't cost too much and in reality is just a few things. I work a LOT and this kind of thing is therapy anyways. In fact, it is much cheaper than a therapist..
Old 05-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

The madness continues. I got in the climate control bezel and started the 17 step process to paint it "aluma-look". I used a duplicolor paint I found in another thread here. First step was to sand the crap out of the piece, started 180, then 800, then 800 wet. 5 coats of plastic primer, with 10 minute stints in the oven at 200f between. 20 minutes on the last step. Wet sand with 800, then 2500. 5 coats of the duplicolor, same as above. Finishing up with 4 coats of clear. Then wet sand with 2500 and finish up with Meguiars Scratch X. The color is really close, the finish is "close enough", though if I was an expert in painting I could probably get it just a hair closer to the door handles. Next comes the trim piece above the climate control, below the vents, then the one below the radio, then the bezels on the storage compartments. I'll see how that looks before I decide to tackle the vents themselves..

Old 05-08-2017, 01:00 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

You can probably find a console for less than $500. I bought one on eBay a few years ago for $55. It was new old stock.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:47 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

To the OP, you nailed the things I hate the most about the 996 interior. The cheap plastic horseshoe and the ugly cheap buttons. I think with just those two things updated, it would be enough for people to not think the 996 interior sucks. I just finished designing my own headlight covers, one of my future projects will be to do something about the horseshoe and buttons.

On a side note, I tried to vinyl wrap my horseshoe with 3M brushed black metallic wrap. It definitely looks better than stock but I wouldn't call it a big upgrade. It was also a major PITA to do:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-metallic.html
Old 05-08-2017, 10:20 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Originally Posted by AndrewK996
To the OP, you nailed the things I hate the most about the 996 interior. The cheap plastic horseshoe and the ugly cheap buttons. I think with just those two things updated, it would be enough for people to not think the 996 interior sucks. I just finished designing my own headlight covers, one of my future projects will be to do something about the horseshoe and buttons.

On a side note, I tried to vinyl wrap my horseshoe with 3M brushed black metallic wrap. It definitely looks better than stock but I wouldn't call it a big upgrade. It was also a major PITA to do:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-metallic.html
checked out the thread, now I'm on to looking into the vinyl. I wonder how tedious it would be to wrap each and every button..

Quick Reply: Interior Mods Valuation Question