Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone actually get diagnostics to work on 996?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:38 PM
squawbum
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone actually get diagnostics to work on 996?

Hello there. I am wondering if anyone has actually gotten a Durametric or iCarsoft to do anything more then a normal scan tool for a 996?

I purchased a Durametric Pro and it didn't do what I needed. I basically want to access the tip control unit to see codes and reset adaptations and see live values like fluid temp. It would be nice to program keys, set settings, etc. . The Durametric could reset adaptations but no other access to TCU and not much else but basics.

The iCarsoft doesn't even see the TCU.

My car car is a 2002 C4 cab with Tiptronic.

I have be a Chinese STAR system for the Benz and an IID Tool for the Land Rover and those do everything the dealer can do. But the Porsche 996 seems to lack any computer than can do anything more than the basics.

I returned the Durametric. I just got the iCarsoft Por II today and it seems useless for my needs.

Am I doing something wrong. Can anyone shed any light?

Has anyone tried the Chinese PIWIS that comes with a laptop and that it actually works with a 996? Everything online seems to point to it can't work with 996 and at this point I'm tired of buying tools that say they work but don't.

or what are you using for the 996 that actually works?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:53 PM
squawbum
Instructor

I updated the iCarsoft Por II to the latest software and was pleasantly surprised at the increase in functionality. Tiptronic showed up and I can read live data on the transmission like fluid temp and read and clear TCU codes. I haven't found the option to reset adaptation values but hopefully I will. Software version is 10.30. Was 10.14. Anyone want to chime in here?

Sinve there is no no info on using these with a 996 when I get some time I'll do a review so one can see what you can actually do with this thing.

These are the control units that the Por II was able to discover on my 2002 C4 Cab with tiptronic.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:32 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Durametric seems to work fine on my '99 C4...
Old 05-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Kris Murphy
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

I think some of the durametric cables had issues. I know mine did. It would only connect randomly, and would not do much more then read and clear codes.

I reached out to durametric, apparently some of the cables were wired incorrectly. They sent me instructions on how to fix. Actually just did the fix this weekend, and have not tested it yet, but that may have been your problem, because as I understand it, the durametric should do everything you are describing.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Are the Durametric cables you mention newer builds or older. I have an older piece from my 993 days.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by squawbum
I updated the iCarsoft Por II to the latest software and was pleasantly surprised at the increase in functionality. Tiptronic showed up and I can read live data on the transmission like fluid temp and read and clear TCU codes. I haven't found the option to reset adaptation values but hopefully I will. Software version is 10.30. Was 10.14. Anyone want to chime in here?

Sinve there is no no info on using these with a 996 when I get some time I'll do a review so one can see what you can actually do with this thing.

These are the control units that the Por II was able to discover on my 2002 C4 Cab with tiptronic.

can you reset all all of the service reminders like oil and maintenance? I want to purchase one for my 996 and 958 so I want to read fault codes and reset service.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2017, 12:38 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Durametric should have worked fine BUT ONLY IF you downloaded the latest software update. See a PSA elsewhere on this issue.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:51 AM
squawbum
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Durametric should have worked fine BUT ONLY IF you downloaded the latest software update. See a PSA elsewhere on this issue.
I downloaded the latest Durametric software since they didn't provide a disk when I bought it. I had to download it.

Can you you tell me how you got yours to work on a 996 and what year is your 996? Can you get tiptronic live values? I might buy the non pro version just to have it if it works since I know it can reset adaptations.

thanks!
Old 05-07-2017, 12:43 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by squawbum
I downloaded the latest Durametric software since they didn't provide a disk when I bought it. I had to download it.

Can you you tell me how you got yours to work on a 996 and what year is your 996? Can you get tiptronic live values? I might buy the non pro version just to have it if it works since I know it can reset adaptations.

thanks!
I'm selling mine - check out the classifieds. As I do not have a Tip I can't verify what it lets you do. They do have a table of functionality on their website http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrixv6.aspx#996
Old 05-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
I went with the durametric and it does everything I want. Thanks
Old 05-21-2017, 06:44 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I recently purchased a Durametric (enthusiast version) and have been very happy with the features/functions. I've used it to get cam deviations, check for codes, watch for misfires, cycle fans on and off, compare pedal position sensor to actual throttle position and measure 30-60 pull times in second gear.

That being said, I have a manual so I don't have any experience using it for tiptronic related diagnostics.

Quick Reply: Anyone actually get diagnostics to work on 996?