Notices

Question on AiM channels and reading default dash values?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Question on AiM channels and reading default dash values?

Hey everyone and specifically the AiM experts.

2 quick questions:
Have my Aim MXL Pista all set up. Everything appears good thus far, I am wiring in the Smartycam HD and GPS Sensor downstairs today. I had two random questions...
1. Oil Qty. I know people focus on oil pressure and oil temp but what about oil qty? On the 987.2 there is no dipstick . The only way to measure oil qty is the digital readout on the dash. I can't see any method for mapping that stock functionality of oil qty display to the AiM. Any suggestions?
2. Tire pressure. Similar to above, I do happen to love the stock tpms functionality both at the beginning of a session and the end of a session. Yes, of course I am using a pressure gauge and dictating my actual pressures based on cold/hot pressures but I like being able to take that quick glance down and verify the pressures are in their sweet spot. Similarly, while I can feel the grip start to decrease even 1-2 psi above optimal it's nice to take a quick glance down and know how much I should be actively trying to bring them down, if they are still climbing and where they are as I pull off track before doing a few minutes of cool down in the paddock.

I am sure the answer to both of my questions or at least the second one is I am coming at this like a newbie and I am focusing on the wrong variables but interested regardless...
Thanks in advance!
-Paul
Old 04-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

I don't know of a way to get that info from the factory ECU. Both could be done with aftermarket sensors, but not inexpensively.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,085 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Agree with Matt, but considering both of these come through to the cluster off the body control and engine management CANbus, you could probably sniff, identify and build a channel for each in the new dash manager software in RS3 (for the MXL2/MXG/MXS/EVO4S and EVO5). Just takes time.

For the MXL Pista, I'd crane my neck around and look behind the logger/display to the original cluster.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I don't know of a way to get that info from the factory ECU. Both could be done with aftermarket sensors, but not inexpensively.
Originally Posted by ProCoach
Agree with Matt, but considering both of these come through to the cluster off the body control and engine management CANbus, you could probably sniff, identify and build a channel for each in the new dash manager software in RS3 (for the MXL2/MXG/MXS/EVO4S and EVO5). Just takes time.

For the MXL Pista, I'd crane my neck around and look behind the logger/display to the original cluster.
Thanks a ton guys! I sort of figured that would be the answer I was just curious because I had exhausted my google searches and still couldn't find the answer LOL... I guess if I really wanted to I could take the little LCD from the stock dash and move it to the side of the logger/display I hate that the only dipstick is the one behind the wheel

Can't wait for these calls to end so I can go wire up the GPS and SmartycamHD . Damn work always in the way
Old 04-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Paul, I know this is not the answer you were looking for, but I would leave any superfluous stuff like that off your display because it is distracting. Water, oil temperature and oil pressure is really all you need especially with everything else going on as you are driving. Logging temps across the tires and pressures for set-up use would however be pretty cool.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:14 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Paul, I know this is not the answer you were looking for, but I would leave any superfluous stuff like that off your display because it is distracting. Water, oil temperature and oil pressure is really all you need especially with everything else going on as you are driving. Logging temps across the tires and pressures for set-up use would however be pretty cool.
Thanks Frank!
The answer we are looking for isn't always correct I did figure that your response was the correct answer, I will just sneak a peak around the AiM when I need to check Oil qty or TPMS values. I might really see about moving the little info screen out of the dash though, going to check some schematics...
Thanks again sir!
Old 04-08-2017, 04:11 AM
jigga009
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way I can think of doing it would be to install a float switch inside the oil sump somehow or dry sump tank, similar to a fuel tank float switch, that can then be plumbed into a 0-5V fuel sender, which then goes into your AIM dash. The float would need to be resistant to the heat in the oil, but aside from figuring out where and how to mount things up, the idea should technically work.

IF your stock level sensor is based on resistance, you should be able to tap the line on its way to the ECU with an ICM fuel sender and use that to tell you how much oil is in your sump rather than how much fuel is in your tank.

Just as you would if you were calibrating an aftermarket fuel tank with a aftermarket 0-5V sender, you would drain the sump, and then take readings as you add oil up to your max. You take the data, create a custom sensor in AIM RS3, and you now have a readout of your oil level as you drive.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Just to circle back and close the loop... Sometimes the answer is truly right in front of us. Oil Level I never need to measure on the move anyway so problem solved, look behind the dash. Fuel is still visible and it does appear you can tie the low fuel warning to an alarm on the dash. Haven't tried it yet but the option is there. As for TPMS well I use Bluetooth TPMS on my trailer. So a little digging and turns out there are some digital TPMS systems out there with a fancy display and alarms that operate on 433MHz same as the Porsche TPMS system. So two options, one swap the valve cover out to a bluetooth or two, try to pair it to the default Porsche TPMS.

Either way it's problem solved... I am just more comfortable knowing the tires are up to temp correctly, I'm not overheating them and catching a puncture before it becomes a blow out, same way I figured out I had a slow leak when I ran over someone else's entire wheel lug that they left behind!

Quick Reply: Question on AiM channels and reading default dash values?