Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Engine Wear Mitigation Ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 04:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default GT3 Engine Wear Mitigation Ideas...

It seems like this issue comes up pretty frequently, so I wanted to throw out some ideas I have. First, the major issue with these engines is the lack of oil, often on the intake side of the heads. One thing that could help reduce this oil issue would be to run high zinc oils, like AMSOIL 20w-50. The problem with this approach is that high zinc oils kill catalytic converters.

Here in Colorado we are not required to have our cars tested for emissions until it is 7 years old. And then it is every other year. So one solution would be to run catless headers once my warranty expires, so AMSOIL can be used. I would just need to swap them out every two years.

If I get the CEL before my warranty expires, I think I will just switch over to this approach then. No need to start the wear cycle on a fresh top-end.

So for right now, the plan is to hopefully get a new top-end within the next 20 months. After that, switch to catless headers and AMSOIL.

Of course, when/if Dundon comes out with a cost-effective solution, I will have a look at that as well.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:11 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

We run Amsoil Race in all of our cars and European formula in those cars with cats...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 04-28-2017, 05:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
We run Amsoil Race in all of our cars and European formula in those cars with cats...
Thanks Jamie. Have you seen any improvement regarding wear on the top end by using the European formula?
Old 04-28-2017, 05:14 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Jamie,
Why not Liquid Moly?
Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Thanks Jamie. Have you seen any improvement regarding wear on the top end by using the European formula?
Not directly. We know that Mobil 1 isn't the best oil out there and there are lots and lots that are very good. We've had great success with Amsoil Race. We have a 4.0L we built 130 hard hot track hours ago in a 997.1 GT3RS come back that exclusively ran Amsoil Race and cold leak down was still 2% across the board. Car was always warmed up and pushed when at the shop when it needed to be moved, but goes to show how much lubrication can do (in conjunction with a well built engine...)

Originally Posted by RFGGT3
Jamie,
Why not Liquid Moly?
Also good, we just have had really good luck with Amsoil and can buy it easily by the barrel. Lots of good oils out there. Use the race versions if you can.

Also keep in mind the race versions of oils with high ZDDP don't have as much detergent in them, so you'll need to drop them more often anyway...
Old 04-28-2017, 05:44 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I am doing the oil & filter change every 600 track miles.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Ok, so if I don't want to kill my cats, what oil would you guys recommend other than the M1?

Also, I have no idea if this is actually doing anything productive, and it definitely sounds counter-intuitive, but based on AP's comment that part of the wear problem stems from people putt-putting around at low rpms, I typically drive in a gear that keeps me around 3K, and the oil pressure up. It's also nice to be farther into the powerband.

Living a lie?
Old 04-29-2017, 03:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean in Texas
Ok, so if I don't want to kill my cats, what oil would you guys recommend other than the M1?
There are over 200 Porsche approved A40 oils. Pick any one of those. Mobil 5W50 is an excellent choice.

The Amsoil posted in this thread, I'd bet, is hardly very high in ZDDP as compared to other A40 approved oils. Without seeing a VOA, it might be 100-200 ppm higher than usual (1,000-1,100 ppm) if even that. And that's not going to impact the performance of longevity of the cats. Over 1,800? Maybe.

Quick Reply: GT3 Engine Wear Mitigation Ideas...