Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel fuel filter, Porsche vs VW-the same? Pics and comparo . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Not surprised in the least. Lots of parts interchange and Porsche charges a premium.

I stopped by the dealer a few weeks ago for a free wash while on a lunch break. A headlight bulb went out on my CD that morning, so I took it as an excuse to wander through the showroom and hit the parts counter.

They wanted $50 + tax for a basic H7 bulb in a Porsche box.

No thanks, I'll go to AutoZone. I'd have paid a premium for the convenience since I was already there... but um.... LOL...
So you take the freebies but won't spend the money on a single light bulb? What's a decent car wash coat? $50? I wonder how they pay for the car washes you get for free? I can't imagine they made money selling you the car.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:27 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

While we are on a roll here I got the Mahle engine oil filter for my CD:

And a Mahle engine air filter:

All from ECS along with drain plug washers.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:27 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 81911
So you take the freebies but won't spend the money on a single light bulb? What's a decent car wash coat? $50? I wonder how they pay for the car washes you get for free? I can't imagine they made money selling you the car.
They have a wash business attached to the dealership (big mega dealership... Porsche, Benz, BMW, Infiniti, Range Rover). They advertise and push their "free washes for customers" as a perk of buying through them. I actually bought TWO cars through them so I get "upgraded" lifetime free washes.

They offered it. So long as it's winter... I'll take it...
The following users liked this post:
Leadfoot_mf (09-28-2020)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:34 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Well... I don't think the Porsche parts counter gets a lot of customer walk-ups either. The few times I've gone there for stuff (few times for 944 oil filter, the aforementioned headlight bulb, and a rear wiper blade for the CD) they almost have this awkward "deer in the headlights" look on their face when I walk up. I bet 99% of their sales are direct to service jobs... and how many of those customers scrutinize the bill and look at every item? Pay a $1500+ bill without looking, probably not going to notice the $50 bulb lol.
I agree, there have to be very few owners that are DIY, time is precious after all. I'll also bet that the guys who just pay for every service/maintenance are NOT on this website, wasting their time unlike me who is on all the time wanting to know everything about the 958.2 Diesel and planning on keeping it for a while.

I'll do everything myself.
The following users liked this post:
coletrain (06-27-2024)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:43 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
I agree, there have to be very few owners that are DIY, time is precious after all.

I'll do everything myself.
I'm a DIY'er for sure, except for when it comes to $80k vehicles that still have a warranty.

Bad experiences in the past (different brand) with me doing maintenance causing warranty grief later means I don't DIY hardly anything on a vehicle under warranty still.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:46 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

Wow - Porsche parts for less $ than VW parts - that's not an everyday scenario. Thanks for the info.

(I really am happy with my TDI Touareg)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:17 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by r553
While we are on a roll here I got the Mahle engine oil filter for my CD:

And a Mahle engine air filter:

All from ECS along with drain plug washers.
That oil filter looks exactly like the VW oil filter. I had also used a Mann oil filter, also spec'd. for my 2012 and 2015 VW TDI's for my 2016 CD oil change.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:20 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porschedog
Wow - Porsche parts for less $ than VW parts - that's not an everyday scenario. Thanks for the info.

(I really am happy with my TDI Touareg)
My wife prefers her 2015 TDI Exec. over my 2016 CD. She realizes that between the sharper handling/stiffer suspension and what she feels is a very sensitive/responsive throttle, that the Touareg is what she is used to and likes to drive better. She also doesn't like the looks of the Cayenne while I now love it.

The Treg is an awesome truck much like the Cayenne is, just that the Cayenne is better to me in every way.

I do miss keyless entry and start and the **** for the pano-roof, it was nice to twist to where I wanted it as opposed to having to hold it till I want it to stop or have it go all the way open with one-touch.

It is the same thing with the windshield or the rear-glass wipers. Porsche ones are crazy expensive while the VW wipers are less than 1/2 the cost. I will say that the VW ones, while they are still pricey, work very well and are worth the $15-20 per blade as I get 6 months from a set. One set gets me from Spring to Summer and the next will go from Fall to Winter.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:31 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I went with the Porsche windshield wiper blades as they seem to chatter less which I found on Amazon. I got the rear wiper from Rock Auto:

About $7 each plus shipping.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:52 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I just replaced the fuel filter. The 20 Torx bolts are Stainless Steel going into the steel housing. I saw and see no issue with using these bolts for the life of the vehicle. The blue ring around the top of the filter is the seal for the filter otherwise the outermost edge of the filter-housing top just sandwiches between it and the filter housing itself.

Took maybe 20 minutes to do. No needing any sort of special tool or device to cycle the fuel pump. I didn't even bother cycling they key on and off to prime anything, I just started the truck, it turned over for a few seconds longer than usual then fired right up just like that.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:18 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I have found www.fcpeuro.com to be a good option for parts.

Not affiliated yada yada..
Old 03-29-2017, 11:44 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

chsu74, I use them too. Surprised that they are local, I picked up some parts at their HQ instead of having it shipped since it was about a half mile from my office in Fairfield. Good alternative vendor.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:00 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ They are in Milford right? Kind of a trip even from my office in Norwalk. I live on the NY/CT border. Their free shipping over $50 orders works well.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:13 PM
hammerdog
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
I just replaced the fuel filter. The 20 Torx bolts are Stainless Steel going into the steel housing. I saw and see no issue with using these bolts for the life of the vehicle. The blue ring around the top of the filter is the seal for the filter otherwise the outermost edge of the filter-housing top just sandwiches between it and the filter housing itself.

Took maybe 20 minutes to do. No needing any sort of special tool or device to cycle the fuel pump. I didn't even bother cycling they key on and off to prime anything, I just started the truck, it turned over for a few seconds longer than usual then fired right up just like that.
BenCD- When I did the fuel filter on my Touareg TDI, I had to use a vag com to cycle the fuel pump and purge the air. There is nothing special you have to do to purge the air on the Cayenne? Did you top off the fuel in the fuel filter canister? I ask because my fuel filter needs replacing and I plan on DIY.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:25 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hammerdog
BenCD- When I did the fuel filter on my Touareg TDI, I had to use a vag com to cycle the fuel pump and purge the air. There is nothing special you have to do to purge the air on the Cayenne? Did you top off the fuel in the fuel filter canister? I ask because my fuel filter needs replacing and I plan on DIY.
I did NOTHING. No special VAG-COM to cycle anything for my Touareg. When I did the fuel filter on my Touareg for the first time I may have turned the ignition on and off 2 or 3 times but with the Cayenne I turned the key to start and while it took 1-2 more seconds of cranking than usual, it started right up and ran/runs just fine.

Quick Reply: Diesel fuel filter, Porsche vs VW-the same? Pics and comparo . . .