Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Good info Zulu. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime Gentlemen, don't mention it.

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Same same but diffelent? haha (node to CAlexio)
Seriously though.. I notice a lot of disdain from some .1 and RS owners.. Can't we just all get along!
Personally and honestly, it doesn't matter to me if whoever calls it top down or bottom up. It just irks me to see people worshipping at the Mezger alter and eventually it will be the same for this new engine, and eventually we will see someone say "my car is the last NA 'Mezger' (insert new bogus name for the 9A1 race engine) engine you will ever see in your entire life" then Porsche comes out with a new (insert new bogus engine name here) NA engine, and the planet will start revolving again.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:01 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Alright, let's get one thing straight about the Hydraulic lifters, the reason they were used in the 991.1 GT3 is that they were concerned that the rocker would float from the cam lobe at high RPM. They included a hydraulic dampener remedy this float/slap at high RPM. Unfortunately, as we now know that this is a design flaw that caused the cam lobe to score because there was too much force on the lobe as there was not enough oil running, thus introducing a new oiling system for the G engines. Now with the new gen II engines, they got rid of these hydraulic dampeners due to issues I just mentioned. Moving forward, they managed to scrap them and find the benefit of A) no more floating/slap at high RPM and B) no need for adjustment later in the engine life cycle. Let's see what the documentation says when we get our impatient grubby hands on them.
Good summary. As I have said this explains the revisions in the .1 4.0L with new heads, oiling, valve springs, cam profile and reduced rpms. 9000 rpm is a heady number for hydraulics.

You want 9000+ rpm? Solids are the way to go.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:28 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Minor revision? Let's agree to disagree. Fundamental design changes have been implemented, keyword being fundamental.
Back in the day when Porsche was just an engineering company and not a marketing driven hedge fund run by engineers with MBAs they would call this a, "logical redevelopment".

Hydraulic versus Solid lifters is not an issue with the Mezger because it doesn't have anywhere near the same stresses/engine speeds. Apples and oranges comparison.
Even the very last Mezger GT3R and the RSR had solid-lifters that needed to be checked every 300km. With the street cars the maintenance intervals and exhaust gas emissions at startup were more important. But if they've solved those two issues with a cheaper solution then why not? And it probably won't be all that difficult to use the new parts on the old engine, it usually isn't for something this minor...
Old 03-24-2017, 01:35 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
And it probably won't be all that difficult to use the new parts on the old engine, it usually isn't for something this minor...
I was thinking the same thing. Once someone like Dundon has a look at the new .2 engine, we'll probably see something coming our way.

Porsche has sold a decent amount of .1s. There will be a good market for this fix.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:33 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Alright, let's get one thing straight about the Hydraulic lifters, the reason they were used in the 991.1 GT3 is that they were concerned that the rocker would float from the cam lobe at high RPM. They included a hydraulic dampener remedy this float/slap at high RPM. Unfortunately, as we now know that this is a design flaw that caused the cam lobe to score because there was too much force on the lobe as there was not enough oil running, thus introducing a new oiling system for the G engines. Now with the new gen II engines, they got rid of these hydraulic dampeners due to issues I just mentioned. Moving forward, they managed to scrap them and find the benefit of A) no more floating/slap at high RPM and B) no need for adjustment later in the engine life cycle. Let's see what the documentation says when we get our impatient grubby hands on them.
Exactly.

The only reason Porsche utilized Hydraulic lifters is because of cost/economics. Hydraulic lifters are prone to valve "pump up" or "bleed down", as you stated. Solid lifters are not. Solid lifters are superior in every aspect wrt performance. Period.

Porsche understood this limiting factor and incorporated "anti-pump-up-lifters", as almost every manufacture does. Which as you stated, accounts for the stiffer/heavier plunger. This extra cam lobe drag/mass in conjunction with relatively high oil pressures is why they have scoring issues. Excessive mass/drag is an inherent issue with hydraulic lifters. This is why virtually every high RPM motor utilizes solid lifters. They are superior.

IMO, Porsche neglected to obtain sufficient empirical data wrt oil pressures and valvetrain cam lobe stresses at 9k under lateral loads. That is why they have approached this issue from both angles. Eliminating both the inefficient lifter design, and decreasing oil pressure in the valvetrain.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Do you think it's likely that Porsche has really cracked the question of how to make solid lifters with no lifetime lash adjustments or does this seem overly optimistic?
Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Do you think it's likely that Porsche has really cracked the question of how to make solid lifters with no lifetime lash adjustments or does this seem overly optimistic?
IMO. The GT department won't make the same mistake twice. Especially at this magnitude. They have approached this issue twofold, and from what we are hearing from AP, they have abundant empirical data to support no valve lash adjustment for ~186k miles.

This will be the 991 GT3 to own long term.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:10 PM
robmypro
Race Director

This will be the 991 GT3 to own long term.
Time will tell. For a lot of people's sake, I hope you are right!
Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

This obsession with AP has got to stop. The guy is a pitchman and FOS most of the time. Just like every piece of porsche marketing.

Every single engine they build has major issues. For such a renowned engineering firm, they **** up an awful lot. I bet you there are issues with these special coatings.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:37 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Do you know the valve adjust interval on S2000? I think they were somewhat frequent (every 30k miles) with the E46 M3 with solid lifters...
Less with S2000--the manual suggests at 105000 miles unless noisy. Anyone with personal experience?
Old 03-24-2017, 03:59 PM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
This obsession with AP has got to stop. The guy is a pitchman and FOS most of the time. Just like every piece of porsche marketing.

Every single engine they build has major issues. For such a renowned engineering firm, they **** up an awful lot. I bet you there are issues with these special coatings.
Likely problems with rigid valve train.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:05 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Look at every high performance superbike on the market today (Aprilia RSV4, BMW S1000RR), most (if not all) utilize solid lifters because it's superior for achieving high RPM.
I thought Lexus LFA also had solid lifters. This is from the UK website. They refer to it as solid rockers, but I think they refer to lifters. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"In view of this accelerative performance, the valvetrain hidden behind the magnesium alloy cylinder head covers also came under intense scrutiny. Light but strong titanium alloy was employed once again in the construction of the valves, while the valve springs are cylinder-shaped and of a low-inertia design to remove the chance of valve float at high revs. These were partnered with ultra-lightweight solid rocker arms featuring a special diamond-like wear-resistance coating and integrated oil jets."
Old 03-24-2017, 04:08 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needspeed
Likely problems with rigid valve train.
If true, it's a shame McLaren Technology Group is privately held.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gago1101
I thought Lexus LFA also had solid lifters. This is from the UK website. They refer to it as solid rockers, but I think they refer to lifters. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"In view of this accelerative performance, the valvetrain hidden behind the magnesium alloy cylinder head covers also came under intense scrutiny. Light but strong titanium alloy was employed once again in the construction of the valves, while the valve springs are cylinder-shaped and of a low-inertia design to remove the chance of valve float at high revs. These were partnered with ultra-lightweight solid rocker arms featuring a special diamond-like wear-resistance coating and integrated oil jets."
Bingo. What's that magical LFA redline again....9.5k

Quick Reply: Porsche's new philosophy with the GT3 according to AP