Notices

Laptop

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I just upgraded this season to a Windows Surface Pro 4 after using the same old IBM Thinkpad since 2011 at all track events for video/data. I like it a lot (make sure you get a legit/certified MS keyboard, otherwise you'll be hating it...).

-mike
Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Actually, it's very BIG on the latest models, quite unlike the icons on my high-rez SP3 and SB screen!
I am talking about the ports you need.
Only USB C and no SD card slot.

That sucks big time at the track.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:13 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by fleadh
I just upgraded this season to a Windows Surface Pro 4 after using the same old IBM Thinkpad since 2011 at all track events for video/data. I like it a lot (make sure you get a legit/certified MS keyboard, otherwise you'll be hating it...).

-mike
+1

Also, I hated the pen on my Sony Vaio Duo. This one is miles better, but in reality I never use it. Either I am using it in tablet mode to download some data and I just use my fingers, or I use it on a table with the keyboard/trackpad.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,082 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I am talking about the ports you need.
Only USB C and no SD card slot.

That sucks big time at the track.
Not if you have the right tools!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:10 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Got me one of those.

Breaks down half of the time. SD cards disconnecting, USB only working half the time.

The only stuff that really works is sold by Apple. Apple only has USB - C to USB cables, and an USB-C SD card reader. No hubs. Nothing else.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/5/13...ms-thunderbolt

I have lived through the same stuff he has:

I’ve also tried a bunch of different USB-C docks and hubs — my Amazon purchase history is a gallery of sorrow and misspent dollars. To a one, these multi-port hubs have been flaky and unreliable — usually when it comes to their SD card slots. Others have had better luck, but a year after the release of the MacBook we’re still waiting for the One True Hub that will really cover the bases for most people.
+

Happily, all of Apple’s adapters have performed excellently — the company just doesn’t offer an all-in-one solution, so I end up carrying two or three different dongles just in case.

That's exactly my experience. The hub you have shown, I couldn't even copy 1 GoPro video file of my SD card since it constantly ejected the SD card.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:41 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

This is why I got the HP Spectre: native SD slot, wicked fast, hi res display, great keyboard and trackpad, all for 1/2 the cost of a MacBook Pro. Plus the build quality is awesome. And I'm a mac guy having owned dozens since my very first 2CX in 1989!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
The hub you have shown, I couldn't even copy 1 GoPro video file of my SD card since it constantly ejected the SD card.
YMMV. My experience has been good.

Using high speed cards, I am downloading VBOX HD2 and SmartyCam files in seconds. It's nice and works for me.

Twenty-eight days at the track so far this year without an issue...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by 38D
This is why I got the HP Spectre: native SD slot, wicked fast, hi res display, great keyboard and trackpad, all for 1/2 the cost of a MacBook Pro. Plus the build quality is awesome. And I'm a mac guy having owned dozens since my very first 2CX in 1989!
I'm a mac guy myself. Been using them since 2005 and I make my money writing software on macs. , but I think that for the track a decent Windows tablet/laptop is still a better choice. Especially with the lack of connectors on the latest generation macbooks.

Moreover the environment is much more harsh at the track, and I'd rather damage my $1300 MS Surface than my $3K Macbook Pro, if something were to happen ...

7 years ago I ran my AiM software on one of those (now killed by the iPad) mini Toshiba laptops (what were they called again ... cost like $300). We've come a long way
Old 03-25-2017, 11:59 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default MacBook Pro

17", partitioned hard drive, and of course Boot Camp....I got an almost new PC for $100, excess inventory from Wifey's company. Back in the day I was a PC guy...fired the PC up: I was lost, i'd have to relearn all that I had forgotten about running a PC. My local AiM guy at Veracity Racing Data and I use the same platform, MacBook Pro 17", monster HD.

Based on inspiration from Matt and Peter, I am going to look for a monitor for my trailer. Why they are practically giving these things away at the Brick and Mortar stores such as COSTCO, Best Buy. I can just imagine how much easier data analysis will be on a monster monitor. I have AC power, what not use it! Thanks guys for the inspiration.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
17", partitioned hard drive, and of course Boot Camp....I got an almost new PC for $100, excess inventory from Wifey's company. Back in the day I was a PC guy...fired the PC up: I was lost, i'd have to relearn all that I had forgotten about running a PC. My local AiM guy at Veracity Racing Data and I use the same platform, MacBook Pro 17", monster HD.

Based on inspiration from Matt and Peter, I am going to look for a monitor for my trailer. Why they are practically giving these things away at the Brick and Mortar stores such as COSTCO, Best Buy. I can just imagine how much easier data analysis will be on a monster monitor. I have AC power, what not use it! Thanks guys for the inspiration.
the 27" HP at Costco is the deal!
Old 03-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Thanks Coach

I am headed to COSTCO today!!!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:44 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

I like he idea of a monitor in the trailer. Any hints on the best way to mount it?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by linzman
I like he idea of a monitor in the trailer. Any hints on the best way to mount it?
I mount it on the forward wall above the counter: https://www.costco.com/SANUS-Simplic...100244776.html
Old 03-25-2017, 07:38 PM
MSWNCity
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Any problems with the wall mounted monitor and trailer vibration?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Actually, I don't know. I take it off and stow it in the box it came in, then hang it when I get to the track.

Quick Reply: Laptop