Sponsored by:

PCM Hack

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I saw this and was convinced it was faked too.... before even seeing the stories confirming it. Being a tech guy myself, I noticed that the hard part would have been mapping the image onto the screen, but that's not too hard with a rigidly mounted camera. But then I noticed his thumb moved over the image for a moment at about 3:02 in the video. I single-framed the video at that point and zoomed in on his thumb. You can see the masking artifacts from when his thumb passed over the image. In a natural image there would be no reason there should have been nearly black pixels at a few places around the edge of his thumb, most obviously around the 1:30 position (below the character's ear) or just above 9 o'clock... or the whole set of pixels from about 2 o'clock to 3 o'clock. This indicates the image never was really on the car screen but was applied in a post-process. He must have cursed himself for causing himself extra work by accidentally letting his thumb get in front of the image.

Nerd mission accomplished.
Eh, those just look like JPEG artifacts to me. I assume he found a way to drive the LCD panel from an external VGA or DVI connection.

If it weren't for the fact that all of those controls are on separate CAN and LIN bus segments, it wouldn't be entirely impossible to do something like this for real. Would be interesting to know what OS the current-generation PCMs are running...
Old 02-22-2017, 10:53 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Eh, those just look like JPEG artifacts to me. I assume he found a way to drive the LCD panel from an external VGA or DVI connection.
If it weren't for the fact that all of those controls are on separate CAN and LIN bus segments, it wouldn't be entirely impossible to do something like this for real. Would be interesting to know what OS the current-generation PCMs are running...
I still contend the doom video was masked onto the moving video. First, you state that my prior post may have shown a JPEG artifact, but JPEG isn't used for videos, MPEG or other similar algorithms are. Those algorithms don't have isolated single-pixel errors like the ones I highlight, the compression artifacts appear in blocks and not just a handful of isolated pixels... I see no other compression errors around the image in that area.

So searching for other possibly clearer evidence just for grins, he really shows his hand at 2:49. If you single frame through the video, just as the car seat moves over the bottom of the screen, he drops a few frames of the video so that he doesn't have to deal with masking the video over the edge of the car seat as it moves up over the screen. However, he doesn't clip quite enough frames and actually reveals the top of the screen as being blank in the following frame. In the first image, you see the screen is reasonably well lit just before the seat moves up onto it. You should still see the top of that in the next frame but it disappears. There are no other small drops like this I can find elsewhere in the video, so it must have been for a reason.

If you single step through the frames, you'll see that the video jumps a few frames where he cut out the masking problem. However, the next frame reveals the top of the screen as being blank. Here is a zoomed in image of the frame just before the cut frames and the clear jump in the video, then the frame right after that.

Last edited by StormRune; 02-23-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:01 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

I forgot just one more interesting tidbit. This video was filmed near where this guy appears to work here in Austin at Indeed.com. Someone id'ed the building in the thread about this in Reddit and the creator of the video confirmed it. He also had this response to questions about the authenticity of the video, quoting:

"And to answer everyone's number one question, is it a real video: Yes, it really is a video."

Quick Reply: PCM Hack