Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trailing Arm - Broken Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 35 Posts

I ended towing the car to my local shop. He spent an hour on labor and said he was able to fix it with a helicoil. Go to pick it up today. They do really good work and he's confident it will hold. No plans to track the car anytime soon so should be okay for the street. Looking forward to trying out the new Koni's and 968 M030 sways.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon
I ended towing the car to my local shop. He spent an hour on labor and said he was able to fix it with a helicoil. Go to pick it up today. They do really good work and he's confident it will hold. No plans to track the car anytime soon so should be okay for the street. Looking forward to trying out the new Koni's and 968 M030 sways.
That's great news! Pick up some spare parts and practice with helicoils. It's an invaluable skill on these mostly aluminum cars. Properly installed, helicoils are stronger than the original aluminum threads, and by many accounts, stronger than time-serts. You should be better than new. The Boing 747 is said to have hundreds of thousands of heli-coils straight from the factory. Glad to hear it all worked out!
Old 02-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
That's great news! Pick up some spare parts and practice with helicoils. It's an invaluable skill on these mostly aluminum cars. Properly installed, helicoils are stronger than the original aluminum threads, and by many accounts, stronger than time-serts. You should be better than new. The Boing 747 is said to have hundreds of thousands of heli-coils straight from the factory. Glad to hear it all worked out!
Thanks Tom! It was such a relief to get the call that they didn't have to pull the trailing arm off the car. And I agree, some practice is needed. The Time-Sert would've been perfect had the tap gone in straight.

I'll let you know how the new shocks and sways impact the drive.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:52 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Car is driving great. The rebound on the Koni's is significantly stiffer than the old Bilsteins and the 968 sways from Paragon feel nice. Now I need to get around to doing the Koni strut conversion to replace the tired 30 year old struts and springs.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Wow, beautiful car... Looks very familiar to me

Old 02-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Wow didn't realize it was your car, Tom. About a year ago that exact picture convinced me to find 16" phone dials and bring the car back to stock. Perfect stance. If only my paint was as good as yours!
Old 04-26-2021, 07:48 PM
Mst Tua Haque
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spot weld cutting method

Features and Benefits: 3) 3/8" Cutters; fit 3/8" and 1/2" hand held drill chucks. Arbor Assembly (11123) with skip proof Pilot. Extra pilot included. Made of M2 High Speed Steel. Made in the USA. These annular tools cut clean, burr-free and round holes fast unlike twist drills that push or hole saws that tear through materials. There's no dead zone, so less thrust is required and no deforming of stock or jagged edges occurs. The cutters are for the heavy-duty use in sheet metal and materials up to 1/2" thick. Multiple cutting teeth, precision ground which allows for a long tool life. These cutters are packaged in a plastic carrying case.
https://gearexpose.com/best-spot-weld-cutters/

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm - Broken Bolt