Sponsored by:

I'll just leave this here...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Differences besides legality are actually very significant. For example, road design makes driving much safer and predictable - things like potholes, puddles of standing water or debris flying off pick up trucks do not exist. Also, most/all autobahn sections have barriers to ensure that if you have an accident, you do not hit a tree or go into a ditch or incoming traffic. There are also no animals getting on the road. If there is a traffic jam, an accident or even bad weather in front, you get warnings via LED signs or people waving flags miles ahead, so more than enough time to slow down. All significant curves are banked. All entrances and exits have acceleration lanes, so that merging happens at full speed without forcing others to leave the right lane. So in this sense, autobahn is safer than even race tracks in North America.

Also, the other drivers know not to change lanes without warning, not to hog the left lane and not to follow too closely - it's actually enforced, and there are heavy tickets for both. Getting a drivers license is truly genuinely hard -
maybe not as hard as getting a pilots license in the USA, but not too far off. Cars also go through mandated tech inspections regularly, so the probability of someone having their wheels fall off while you are passing them at 300kph is low. So risk from other drivers is much reduced as well.

It's still dangerous, but not nearly as much as someone from north America is likely to think. Many people go 150MPH+ routinely, and traffic deaths in Germany are less than half of those in the US (per capita), with only 11% of them happening on autobahn (which carries 1/3 of all traffic). At 1.6 death per billion km driven, autobahn is almost 4 times safer than an average road in the USA.
Interesting stats, who would've guessed. I've been on the Autobahn only a few times driving a Mercedes and not once did I feel unsafe doing 150 mph.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Interesting stats, who would've guessed. I've been on the Autobahn only a few times driving a Mercedes and not once did I feel unsafe doing 150 mph.
That's because you weren't dodging Americans or Canadians.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Wow! I am impressed.

To supplement my knowledge I asked one of my granddaughters if Black and White are colors. She ran to her crayon box and came back with an answer. I asked what is it? She replied YES and showed me a white and a black crayon. I replied - "it can't be because they are not colors. If they are not colors then it is a physical impossibility to reproduce them in any way shape or form." Hearing me her older sister came to her defense - toting a tablet (never good when a grandchild comes with an electronic device!) She added white is a mix of all colors and therefore it is one - not a PRIMARY color but it is one. Then she added black is also a color at least in the molecular and pigmentation level. In any event below is the website of the color encyclopedia that she consulted: Color matters.com

I guess my tongue in cheek comments may be hard to digest. It seems my weak attempt at humor in the "debate" regarding the speed of colors got lost in translation!

The fact remains however that light seems to have an application in propulsion and that's why NASA and many other scientists in the field are studying sails powered by photons and as means to long distance space travel.

As the saying says nothing is ever black and white! Boy - this could get more interesting than PDK vs MT threads!
I was going to ask my grandson about colours but I forgot, he's only 11 months old.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,147 Likes on 2,902 Posts

I felt very safe on the Autobahn driving my GT4 to pretty high speeds (160mph+). Upon returning home, the difference is even more stark than first traveling to Germany. Once used to the speeds, roads, and better drivers over there, it really puts our terrible situation in the US in perspective. Driving home from the airport is a sad and sobering experience.

And I'm sure there are places far worse in this respect than the US...

I hope Germany never bans the de-restricted speeds - I think it's a important reason that German cars are so capable at speed.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:59 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try third World California. We have pot holes that can eat 6 GT4's an elephant and a Taco Bell. Then they might pave over 'em after they are filled.
This my 996 post. I see you owned one.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:48 AM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 147 Posts

Is this the same guy?

I wish we had more roads like europe. too many damn people in San Diego

Old 02-10-2017, 02:59 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT951
Try third World California. We have pot holes that can eat 6 GT4's an elephant and a Taco Bell. Then they might pave over 'em after they are filled.
This my 996 post. I see you owned one.
Someone I know just took this picture in Menlo Park, CA - a V8 on a road... Would not want to run into this kind of litter at any speed. I like how it says "USA" on the engine mount.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:38 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,147 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Someone I know just took this picture in Menlo Park, CA - a V8 on a road... Would not want to run into this kind of litter at any speed. I like how it says "USA" on the engine mount.
Yikes! Yeah, don't think choosing the front lift option on the GT3 is going to quite clear that
Old 02-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yikes! Yeah, don't think choosing the front lift option on the GT3 is going to quite clear that

Old 02-10-2017, 12:38 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

You're not kidding about the holes in the road.. the rain making it worse here in Northern California. This just happened in Santa Cruz today
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2017, 04:11 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I, like most of the rest of you, am a road freak. I collect 'em all over the country. 66, the highway to the Sun, road to Agness, Hwy 1, BlueRidge, ad infinitum.
In 95/96, 07,08 and 10/11 I spent nearly 3 years with 4 on the ground touring the USA. Starting in 95 it became appalling to me the difference between CA and every other State but one. Since 95 it has gotten progressively worse. My guess is that Afghan and Iraqui highways have passed ours.
A shameful 3rd world country on our west coast. No infra structure care here whatsoever.
Worst part….Californians don't care even tho they also pay the highest gas prices, huge sales taxes and big time income taxes.
Geez, I'm supposed to go to Santa Cruz today. Tell me that is not on 17 or 1.

Quick Reply: I'll just leave this here...