Dealer Recommended Service on a 2010 997.2 Turbo Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:44 PM
glayfan40
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Recommended Service on a 2010 997.2 Turbo Cabriolet

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to report that I've just picked up a 2010 997.2TT Cab with ~48k miles. I've actually traded in my 2014 Boxster S for it. Needless to say the difference in power is VERY noticeable.

Some pics below -

I've received recommendations from the dealership as to what service items are due and got the following -

Any comments on whether they seem reasonable or not? Appreciate it!
Old 01-19-2017, 02:58 PM
glayfan40
Track Day

The PDK and AWD Controller services - are those really necessary at ~48k miles?
Old 01-19-2017, 03:40 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

damn those prices hurt to read.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:48 PM
TurnOne
Advanced

I have 08 model 3.6. Here was what I paid with $125/hr labor rate.
Drive Belt - 1.2 hours.
AWD - 2 hours.
Spark Plugs - 9 hours.

I did the coils at the same time. They included that as part of the 9 hours on plugs.

Air filter has to be super easy, no? It is on mine. I refuse to get ripped off for the super easy stuff.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:32 AM
glayfan40
Track Day

Originally Posted by TurnOne
Air filter has to be super easy, no? It is on mine. I refuse to get ripped off for the super easy stuff.
Right, I do plan on doing the air and cabin filters myself. Seems pretty straightforward.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:35 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by glayfan40
Right, I do plan on doing the air and cabin filters myself. Seems pretty straightforward.
If you would like the service manual steps just let me know I can post them
Old 01-22-2017, 02:53 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been told that high-end car sale profit margins for dealerships are thin and that a significant portion of a dealership's profit comes from the service department. I've heard from a number of individuals that one major reason Porsche dealership owners buy these businesses are the profits generated by the service department, not the car sales. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating here, I understand the business case....just suggesting if you purchase a high-end new or used sports car, expect to pay high costs to have a dealership maintain them.

Completely unscientific...below are the average price for three sportscars when new, and their average basic maintenance dealership costs. I used the following link for the Corvette and Porsche and researched online the Ferrari price and maintenance costs. I accept your anecdota experiences may be different...

https://repairpal.com/

Corvette Z-O6. $96K, Oil $387.00, Sparkplugs $284.00,
Porsche 997.2 TTS, $170K, Oil $206.00, Sparkplugs $1023.00
Ferrari F-430, $233K, Oil, $500.00, Sparkplugs $3000.00

I found the oil maintenance cost high (questionable) for the Z-O6, but the other costs seem close to what I've observed from those who have commented online. I also found the cost to replace the F-430's sparkplugs extremely high, especially when the replacement process seems fairly straight forward with the difficulties maybe being the engine bay panel removal.

I'm one to do the majority of basic maintenance, but do have concerns for owning any of these high-end sports cars without a CPO or warranty. For those that cannot, or prefer not to do their own basic maintenance, should go into ownership with eyes wide open, before signing the check.
To wrap up, I believe "some" dealerships take advantage of newer customers suggesting to them to have certain maintenance completed, prematurely (for their new baby) playing on emotions more so than realities. Customers may be reluctant to question these suggestions...I say learn to question and make phone calls to other dealers, doing your due diligence. However, regardless be prepared to pay dearly for basic maintenance. JB

Last edited by johnbelk; 01-22-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Stuff
Old 01-22-2017, 03:06 PM
jazzwu
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnbelk
I've been told that high-end car sale profit margins for dealerships are thin and that a significant portion of a dealership's profit comes from the service department. I've heard from a number of individuals that one major reason Porsche dealership owners buy these businesses are the profits generated by the service department, not the car sales. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating here, I understand the business case....just suggesting if you purchase a high-end new or used sports car, expect to pay high costs to have a dealership maintain them.

Completely unscientific...below are the average price for three sportscars when new, and their average basic maintenance dealership costs. I used the following link for the Corvette and Porsche and researched online the Ferrari price and maintenance costs. I accept your anecdota experiences may be different...

https://repairpal.com/

Corvette Z-O6. $96K, Oil $387.00, Sparkplugs $284.00,
Porsche 997.2 TTS, $170K, Oil $206.00, Sparkplugs $1023.00
Ferrari F-430, $233K, Oil, $500.00, Sparkplugs $3000.00

I found the oil maintenance cost high (questionable) for the Z-O6, but the other costs seem close to what I've observed from those who have commented online. I also found the cost to replace the F-430's sparkplugs extremely high, especially when the replacement process seems fairly straight forward with the difficulties maybe being the engine bay panel removal.

I'm one to do the majority of basic maintenance, but do have concerns for owning any of these high-end sports cars without a CPO or warranty. For those that cannot, or prefer not to do their own basic maintenance, should go into ownership with eyes wide open, before signing the check.
To wrap up, I believe "some" dealerships take advantage of newer customers suggesting to them to have certain maintenance completed, prematurely (for their new baby) playing on emotions more so than realities. Customers may be reluctant to question these suggestions...I say learn to question and make phone calls to other dealers, doing your due diligence. However, regardless be prepared to pay dearly for basic maintenance. JB
Wow for Ferrari maintenance... Geeez.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:27 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 356 Posts

The price quoted for the air filter seems like its for the 991TT. I learned this weekend at a C&C that the bumper must come off for the air filter replacement on a 991TT.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:09 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by saabin
The price quoted for the air filter seems like its for the 991TT. I learned this weekend at a C&C that the bumper must come off for the air filter replacement on a 991TT.

According to the earlier link I provided, I found the below average for:
Air Filter Replacement for 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo:
$119.00 to $157.00.

However, the requirement to remove the 991's rear bumper to replace an airfilter deserves the following reaction:

What's next? Front bumber removal to replace the magnetic anti-resonance fluid? Which is as silly as the former...jeeezus.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:33 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 356 Posts

Have you looked at the engine compartment on a 991 (or a 991TT) ? All you see is a plastic cover.. gone are the days of admiring that awesome powerplant.. even after removing the plastic there's precious room to see anything..

That said, removing the bumper is not that big a deal, heck I can/have done it in less than 20 min on my 997.. I would imagine they have made it even easier on the 991.

Just think of the rear bumper as a very large plastic engine cover
Old 01-23-2017, 12:42 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by saabin
Have you looked at the engine compartment on a 991 (or a 991TT) ? All you see is a plastic cover.. gone are the days of admiring that awesome powerplant.. even after removing the plastic there's precious room to see anything..

That said, removing the bumper is not that big a deal, heck I can/have done it in less than 20 min on my 997.. I would imagine they have made it even easier on the 991.

Just think of the rear bumper as a very large plastic engine cover
I have not, and as long as I can find a lower mile 997.2 TTS with a CPO when it's time to let mine go, I'll pass. Personally, I really like the overall size and aesthetics of the 997s...although I can see why many like the 991...and I'll never say never, even with the very large plastic engine cover... JB
Old 01-23-2017, 01:19 PM
glayfan40
Track Day

I've purchased the filters, spark plugs, coils, and drive belt online. I plan on having a local indy who specializes in Porsches/BMWs change out the spark plugs, coils and drive belt, as well as perform an oil change and brake fluid flush.

In regards to the PDK clutch oil and AWD controller oil services, I do see them listed on the maintenance interval checklist -

Any thoughts on whether I should get those done at the same time or not?
Old 01-24-2017, 07:01 AM
usafakid09
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I would. Depending on when the car was first delivered, it could be going on 7-8 years old. I just got a 2012 911 C2 and they did most of the stuff when they certified the car. The left out the PDK oil change and the drive belt. They were going to charge me $750 for the PDK and $438 for the drive belt until I complained that it should have been done when they certified the car and they ended up doing it for free. To me, there is a reason they have suggestions based on time and mileage.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:47 PM
TurnOne
Advanced

Agree, I would as well, then you will be done with it for a while.

Quick Reply: Dealer Recommended Service on a 2010 997.2 Turbo Cabriolet