Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Looking at 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017 | 12:38 AM
WalterRohrl
Pro

If you buy the car in CA and drive it home yourself I believe they are REQUIRED to charge you sales tax at the point of sale now. Yes I know that if you lived in CA you would be charged sales tax for the city you live in, but not out of state, last time I checked it was at the point of sale (I was looking into buying a CA car to take back to CO last year and that was the line given by several dealers. You may or may not be able to recoup that from AZ when you register it. However if you have them haul it to the state line then no tax. Check into it, it may be cheaper to transport it than pay the tax but in that case you'd want to go to CA and try it out yourself before signing for it.

I also believe the tires have to have a minimum tread depth if sold in CA. Maybe you want to replace them bacause of age? But if due to tread depth or lack thereof, that's something else to look into the law first.

If you haven't laid eyes on it yourself ask someone here who lives nearby if they can eyeball it for you. At the prices you are talking it's hopefully better than you are describing.

Wheels are easy, all kinds of 18" factory options all over ebay and craigslist for under $1000 for a set of 4. No way would I buy a single replacement wheel from a dealer.

Good luck, please keep us posted but if you walk away from this one nobody here will call you a fool...
Old 01-12-2017 | 10:13 AM
Neto
Racer

tires are $1000
Old 01-12-2017 | 10:23 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Man, if my PPI had found that faulty visor I would have ran, not walked, fast as I could go!
Good point Woody! And if the cupholder doesn't work, we all know the car isn't worth much more than a roller. Heck, it can have ticking sounds, smoke out the tail pipe, and all the MIL lights on, but if the cupholder doesn't work, you might as well dust your shoes off and wash your hands of that car and move on to the next one.

Word up?

Old 01-12-2017 | 11:24 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
Good point Woody! And if the cupholder doesn't work, we all know the car isn't worth much more than a roller. Heck, it can have ticking sounds, smoke out the tail pipe, and all the MIL lights on, but if the cupholder doesn't work, you might as well dust your shoes off and wash your hands of that car and move on to the next one.

Word up?

Cupholders? These cars have cupholders? My 968 doesnt. My 911sc , 914 and 356 didnt. Are these sportscars or restaurants???? Another item to check out during PPI.
Old 01-12-2017 | 03:27 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

996 mk2 (2003) has cupholders like a pricey movie theater.

996 mk 1 - is a real sportscar, sans cupholders.

968 real sports car.

muuuaauahahahhahauahahaaaa!!!
Old 01-12-2017 | 03:36 PM
kromdom
Drifting

1st rule of PPI: NEVER have it done by selling dealer.
Old 01-12-2017 | 03:50 PM
rosros
Track Day

I think the dealer is being somewhat up front. It is common for dealers to wholesale or send to auction their trade ins. Like this car, they would keep the car for a month, put on a low price to generate traffic. If nothing comes of it, they will pawn it off--inventory is money. There is a big market for wholesaling out--thats how all those small used car lots get their inventory by being chummy with car dealerships.

I would be more wary about the top fitment. To have it adjusted can be very time consuming and costly; and if they need a part would need an overhaul.
Old 01-12-2017 | 03:57 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Originally Posted by rosros
I would be more wary about the top fitment. To have it adjusted can be very time consuming and costly; and if they need a part would need an overhaul.
+996. = $$$$$
Old 01-12-2017 | 05:00 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kromdom
1st rule of PPI: NEVER have it done by selling dealer.
Exactly, asking for a "PPI" from the wrong person can be embarrassing. Just ask Tom Cruise, he'll tell ya!

Old 01-12-2017 | 07:50 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

So I'm passing on this car. There's a 6 year gap in the service records that can't be found. Too much risk it didn't get serviced properly. Guess that's another kissed frog that didn't turn into a prince. I will keep looking. I have a really great 968 sitting in my garage, without a factory cupholder, that will keep me going until I find the perfect 996. Thanks for all the sage advice. Maybe what I need to do is start to define the perfectly optioned car as a guidance (psm, pasm, pdq, 40-way electric seats, power visors, etc.)
Old 01-12-2017 | 08:44 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by az968gpw
So I'm passing on this car. There's a 6 year gap in the service records that can't be found. Too much risk it didn't get serviced properly. Guess that's another kissed frog that didn't turn into a prince. I will keep looking. I have a really great 968 sitting in my garage, without a factory cupholder, that will keep me going until I find the perfect 996. Thanks for all the sage advice. Maybe what I need to do is start to define the perfectly optioned car as a guidance (psm, pasm, pdq, 40-way electric seats, power visors, etc.)
I think you made the right decision.
Old 01-12-2017 | 08:59 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Wise decision weedhopper. This is what I often counsel. Wait until you find what you really want. It's out there somewhere.

Quick Reply: Looking at 996