Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Control/thrust arm replacement (front + rear)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:57 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Okay gents put aside some time today to get this done!

Here are the steps I took for future reference.

1. Jack up car then secure with jack stand
2. Remove wheel (I used an air gun hence I didn't loosen them first)
3. Remove under body lining, 2 parts require removal (not all the trays).
4. Using an air wrench and an 18mm socket loosen the bolt to the sub frame (I used the air wrench to get it loose then used a open ended spanner + ratchet when it was loose). I kept the nut in place and didnt remove it then removed the bolt. The nut sat in its perch whilst I did the rest of the work.
4. I had to lift the jack a bit more to get the air wrench + 18mm socket under the control arm for the next bolt.
5. Used the air wrench on the bolt until it was loose then undid the rest with the 21 open spanner + ratchet.
6. Push the fork side of the arm towards the inside of the car then wiggle the ball joint free and out then the rest of the arm will follow.
7. Re-install fork first then ball joint.
8. Do up both bolts as slakker mentioned 118 for the control arm to fork and 133 for the subframe.

Biggest difficulty I had was that when I bolted up the subframe the control arm hole wasnt clear by a few mm. I spent quote a while trying to figure this out by placing various jack under various arms to try and align the holes, nothing worked.

The way I got it done was my brother stuck a thin extension rod from the ratchet set in the hole and pushed while I put the bolt through from the bottom. Knowing that method would have saved me a fair bit of time! Anyway its done now Hopefully this thread helps anyone looking on instructions for the rear as there wasnt a whole lot out there!

Old 01-04-2017, 10:01 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Guys im going to replace the passenger front as well. Would it be worth replacing the drivers rear as well?

Would mean that I've changed over all 4. Part manufacturing stamp is from 2006 where as the others were 2003 so at some stage it was replaced.

Quick Reply: Control/thrust arm replacement (front + rear)?