Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MX51 Powerkit coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 04:59 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting no one pointed out that the one BIG difference between MX-51 and X-51 kits : No need to rip the engine apart in the new kit. A big contributing factor to cost on the previous kit was labor replacing the engine internals, etc. From the description of the new kit translated here (even loosely) it would appear that the modifications won't require dropping the engine... unless the replacement turbo is completely inaccessible.... But maybe I am wrong.... ;-)
Old 12-18-2016, 05:10 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

The X51 is the power upgrade for the upcoming GTS. Certainly there will be software mapping specific for the GTS engine along with the new turbo. We will then see if Porsche offers a GTS with more "lag" than the current S engine.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:21 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Interesting no one pointed out that the one BIG difference between MX-51 and X-51 kits : No need to rip the engine apart in the new kit. A big contributing factor to cost on the previous kit was labor replacing the engine internals, etc. From the description of the new kit translated here (even loosely) it would appear that the modifications won't require dropping the engine... unless the replacement turbo is completely inaccessible.... But maybe I am wrong.... ;-)
You are probably correct. So a retrofit will be much easier on the wallet. The 3.0 motor is probably good for up to 600hp. Aside from warranty concerns. Aftermarket turbos would probably yield much more hp and cost significantly less. I still very much prefer N/A HP but it's just so easy with FI. It quickly becomes a hp race and everything else is quickly forgotten.
If you haven't noticed though. Most manufacturers have chosen a 3.0 TT to stuff in there cars. Alfa, Maserati, Porsche, BMW. It's only a matter of time before people get bored with the 3 liter cookie cutter experience. Mark my words.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
You are probably correct. So a retrofit will be much easier on the wallet. The 3.0 motor is probably good for up to 600hp. Aside from warranty concerns. Aftermarket turbos would probably yield much more hp and cost significantly less. I still very much prefer N/A HP but it's just so easy with FI. It quickly becomes a hp race and everything else is quickly forgotten.
If you haven't noticed though. Most manufacturers have chosen a 3.0 TT to stuff in there cars. Alfa, Maserati, Porsche, BMW. It's only a matter of time before people get bored with the 3 liter cookie cutter experience. Mark my words.
3.0 liter is also the magic number for import tariffs in many countries
Old 12-18-2016, 06:54 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!!!

Its no coincidence.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Originally Posted by Fasttr
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!!!

Its no coincidence.
Yup. China. Lots of people there, I hear.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:45 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yup. China. Lots of people there, I hear.
More importantly lots of $$$$$$$ there.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:46 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Given how fast the S (and the base) already are now, I'm not sure I see the value of $10k on a little more power, versus putting that money to work on other options. The increase in power of the .2 is already translating to almost supercar level acceleration levels and 0-60 times. Diminishing returns and all that. Personally, I'd be spending that money on PCCB and RWS, rather than a little more power (and lag).

Don' forget though that the $10k also includes SC and PSE which is about $5k so you are getting 30hp for $5k + some improved engine bits, cosmetics and better brake cooling.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:27 PM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What if you have the PSE already and some other bits, and just want the upgraded Turbo ?
Old 12-21-2016, 02:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
you are not wrong! - they might even be able to retro-fit w/o dropping the engine...

look at the location of the turbos...
Old 12-21-2016, 05:28 PM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Called parts at dealer there massive (Toronto) , he came back with, nothing at all in the pipeline at this time, 997.2 and 991.1 engines are not that different, the powerkit offered in the 991.1 is pretty close to the 997.2, as he stated, but there will be something in the pipeline.

Having said, was at SEMA this year and there are many companies already tuning out the new Turbo models with bigger turbo's, and re programming. Probably significantly cheaper than Porsche. Baring in mind warranty.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:33 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I agree with a fair bit of this - how much HP is enough? how much do you chase? how much does it change the experience?

In my view, if power compromises other facets of a cars abilities, then it is in effect a destructive experience. Conversely if it enhances the car, in the round, then it can be constructive.

I'm also in agreement with Archimedes in relation to the .2S, it would be better to spend the money on some other component e.g. PDCC, PASM-S, RAS, PCC brakes, seats, wheels, tires etc. In its current form the 991.2S will hit 225kmh down the back straight at my local circuit. In contrast my 981CGTS hits ~ 200kmh.

The reality is, the largest delta in terms of time is developed in the corners and not on the straights and I have never found my 340PS GTS wanting

Last edited by randr; 12-21-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: MX51 Powerkit coming