Sponsored by:

Refreshing the engine fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 02:29 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanH
Engineers out there please correct me if I am wrong because I am not sure I have this 100% right;
Harmonics build higher farther out from the axis on the fan blade. This is a big problem with wind generators requiring very specific fan profiles to reduce this tendency.
Cracking around the hub (I believe) is straight up metal fatigue and possibly distortion caused by uneven pulling forces when removing the bearing for replacement.
My engineer friend confirms your comments and says this is why airplane propellors have to be replaced at set intervals, even if there is no visible signs of damage. He thinks the hub damage is vibration induced, probably exacerbated from a worn bearing.

He is surprised that Porsche does not specify a set interval for replacement of the fan. Also surprised that they paint the fan; the paint covers up early signs of degradation and cracks.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:03 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
My engineer friend confirms your comments and says this is why airplane propellors have to be replaced at set intervals, even if there is no visible signs of damage. He thinks the hub damage is vibration induced, probably exacerbated from a worn bearing.

He is surprised that Porsche does not specify a set interval for replacement of the fan. Also surprised that they paint the fan; the paint covers up early signs of degradation and cracks.
This is likely because Porsche is designed to automotive standards as opposed to aircraft standards.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I was about to refinish my fan but it was developing cracks near the hub. I just ordered new from Sunset. It was maybe $445. I don't consider that expensive considering the material and how important that component is. Have you priced turbine blades?! Those are expensive!!

Old 12-18-2016, 06:03 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Super90
I was about to refinish my fan but it was developing cracks near the hub. I just ordered new from Sunset. It was maybe $445. I don't consider that expensive considering the material and how important that component is. Have you priced turbine blades?! Those are expensive!!

Eye opener right there. One more summer on my fan and it becomes a wall hanger.

Quick Reply: Refreshing the engine fan