Sponsored by:

need replacement rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 05:30 PM
bob hoern
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need replacement rear tires

I own a 2011, 911 carrera and the rear tires need replacement. I bought it new and this will be the first time. I got 18,000 miles out of them. They are OEM Bridgestone Potennza. I don't drive it hard or at the track. I would like recommendations for a smooth, long lasting tire. I have been advised not to switch brands or model with the fronts which do not need replacement at this time. Recommendations would be appreciated. I live in Pennsylvania and do not drive the car Jan. thru April. Thank you.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:36 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bob hoern
I own a 2011, 911 carrera and the rear tires need replacement. They are OEM Bridgestone Potennza. I have been advised not to switch brands or model with the fronts which do not need replacement
In that case, I'd recommend Bridgestone Potenzas for you.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:35 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Your car is now 6 years old. Regardless of mileage, you should replace all four tires based on their age alone.

I recently purchased a set of Bridgestone S04 Pole Positions. Cost was pretty reasonable and I'm happy with them thus far. They cost quite a bit less than the "N" rated RE050A OEM tires so it won't be a whole lot more for you to get all four rather than get a matching set of OEM rears.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:11 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
Your car is now 6 years old. Regardless of mileage, you should replace all four tires based on their age alone. I recently purchased a set of Bridgestone S04 Pole Positions. Cost was pretty reasonable and I'm happy with them thus far. They cost quite a bit less than the "N" rated RE050A OEM tires so it won't be a whole lot more for you to get all four rather than get a matching set of OEM rears.

6 years....is this really true??

Although I agree that tires should not be used past their recommended life cycle, but is there a typical rule of thumb? My Michelin's are now at the 8yr mark, but I still have way over 50% tread remaining. I was considering replacing them this year, but on a whim consulted Michelin's website for more info. They stated to replace after 10 years, regardless of tread. You guys agree?

Sorry to get slightly off topic.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If you decide to go with a non "N" rated tire, your Porsche dealer will not supply or install them for you.

Michelin PS2 are the OEM for my 09 C2S. Michelin PSS will last longer with as good traction, cheaper but they are not OEM spec.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:34 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 393 Likes on 257 Posts

I would replace all with Bridgestone S04. Not OEM but still a good tire and rated higher on tire rack. Have them on my car, no issues. A full set is roughly the same price as 2 new rear potenzas on tire rack. Then you have the fronts to hang on to just in case.

S04's are highly rated. Wouldn't bother me a bit.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:37 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffm

Although I agree that tires should not be used past their recommended life cycle, but is there a typical rule of thumb? My Michelin's are now at the 8yr mark, but I still have way over 50% tread remaining. I was considering replacing them this year, but on a whim consulted Michelin's website for more info. They stated to replace after 10 years, regardless of tread. You guys agree?

Sorry to get slightly off topic.
Tire Rack has an article on this subject. Here's a relevant quote:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138

Several European vehicle manufacturers of high performance sports cars, coupes and sedans identify that "under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used" in their vehicle owner's manual. However, it should be noted that European recommendations must include driving conditions that include roads like the German Autobahn, which allows vehicles to be legally driven at their top speeds for extended periods of time.
There ya have it. If your 997 is rolling on old rubber that still has plenty of tread I'm sure you'll be fine if you're just driving down to the grocery store for a gallon of milk, but I don't think I'd trust them at a track day.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,763 Likes on 4,303 Posts

I had a 6 year old tire on my pick-up come apart at 80 MPH on a family vacation this summer. It was always properly inflated, had no visible damage, and still had tread remaining. 5 years will be my limit for tire dates from now on.

I bought a set of 4 new ones as sonn as I returned home and used the one I bought on the trip as a spare.

Last edited by Petza914; 12-17-2016 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 12-17-2016, 12:45 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffm

If it says 10 years on the Michelin website, that's what I would go with. You can take that to court (if it ever got that far).

As far as a six year old tire coming apart - it happens to brand new tires too, could have been an internal defect, not age.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:08 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

See my post here, which links to a couple of other threads you might find useful. I'm in a similar situation (and same general area) as you. FWIW, I went with the Bridgestone S-04s (19" Turbo rims) for my summers, and the Pirelli Sottozeros (18" dedicated rims) for my winters.

Summer tires:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13789059

Winter tires:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...w-winters.html

I read a LOT about this on here. For every 3 people you ask you will get 4 opinions, but ultimately there is a very strong consensus that these are good tires.... All 8 just got dropped shipped by TireRack (basically overnight -- those guys are QUICK) to my indy for install...

Good luck.

P.S. Damon, at TireRack, who are sponsors on here, is very knowledgeable and pleasant to work with. Give him a call, he will answer any questions you have.

Quick Reply: need replacement rear tires