Victor Reinz Short Block Gasket Seal Locations

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:45 AM
dcruz90
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Victor Reinz Short Block Gasket Seal Locations

Hi Everyone,

i recently picked up a heavily modified speed yellow 951 and am in the process of rebuilding my turbo and changing all the front seals and oil pan seals.

i bought the victor reinz short block kit and am trying to figure out where all of the seals go.

here are the pictures:

Old 11-20-2016, 09:47 AM
dcruz90
Rennlist Member

I'm not showing the two onion seals in any of these pictures but I know these go on the balance shafts. The clear and black seals in the second bag are actually almost an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch tall.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1st pic, red seals are AOS. Not sure on the black one, possibly turbo oil drain seal.

2nd & 3rd pic, oil cooler housing/OPRV seals.

4th pic, balance shaft seals.

5th pic, red seals are front main seal and balance shaft seals. Pay attention to the little arrow. It's important. Black seal is rear main seal. Beside that, water pump gasket. In your hand is the oil cooler housing gasket.

Some of the seals you won't be using. The short block kits are for all 944's, so some things are for the N/A. Namely the oil cooler housings are different between the N/A and turbo. The turbo uses less seals, so you'll have a few left over. Once you start to open everything up, you'll see which seal goes where.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:59 PM
dcruz90
Rennlist Member

Thanks a lot Black51! Does OPRV stand for Oil Pressure Relief Valve? Would this apply on an 86? I remember reading 87 and up something with the oil pressure sender etc. was added.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:02 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly, the little black o-ring in the first picture is for the dipstick tube. I'm not sure though.

Yes, the '86 has an oil pressure relief valve. The stock valve is different to the later cars and doesn't need an o-ring. See here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LvxjhxOrHg...5B50%25%5D.JPG

As Black851 says, there will be a couple of o-rings that you won't need, which can make things confusing. The best thing to do is keep all your old seals and clearly label them. Then you can compare them to the new seals and see which is which, as they look pretty similar. The only seal that looks quite different to the stock o-ring is the one for the oil pickup tube. It is one the fat clear o-rings.

Since you are rebuilding your turbo, keep in mind that the Reinz kit does not have replacements for the two o-rings for the turbo oil feed inlet and outlet. You will need to keep them, or find replacements elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Victor Reinz Short Block Gasket Seal Locations