Sponsored by:

Pig vs Deer

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 09:12 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pig vs Deer

Hit a deer at dusk tonight, he (8 pt.) was standing still by the side of the road at 30 feet when I saw him and started to slow down. He darted out at 20 feet and I knocked him out splayed into the other lane. He scrambled up and ran into the woods. I'm fine, it was not high speed but makes me want to pick up the bow again.

Anyway I just waxed the car. Now I need a new hood and . . not sure what else.

The shoulder hit here, mouth hit just above the grill-he left a bunch of spit there

horns hit the hood, then slid off

Old 11-09-2016, 01:11 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Glad you are okay! Our place in the mountains here in Washington is in the middle of a deer migration zone that extends down from Canada. There is regularly more than $1 million in car damage per year in a about a 20-mile stretch of road. We have had many, many close calls and regularly drive at about 35 (in a 60) from just before dusk until dawn.

We have seen literally hundreds of deer crossing the road at the same time.

Hope the damage is easily fixed!

Best,
TomF
Old 11-09-2016, 01:57 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

This happened to my 04S...under 15mph at time of impact and the deer took off.

There was no sheet metal damage. I did not realize the number of plastic parts behind the front bumper cover, including the radiator core support.

What seemed like minor superficial damage totaled $5.5K to fix. It took over a month for the shop to obtain all the parts.

Last edited by v10rick; 11-09-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:32 AM
reachme
Instructor

Where did you take it for an accurate assessment?
The dealer - I never step foot in there since I mostly do my own work.
The Independent mechanic? - They know these cars but is bodywork and paint really their thing?
Collision repair mill-They know how to quote and churn but do they really know these cars? Will they know the hood is alum and not as easy to bang out?

It's a 2004 CTT with 60K miles, I love this car and really don't want it totaled.
Any advice where to bring it is appreciated
Old 11-09-2016, 03:19 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by reachme
The Independent mechanic? - They know these cars but is bodywork and paint really their thing?
Collision repair mill-They know how to quote and churn but do they really know these cars? Will they know the hood is alum and not as easy to bang out?

It's a 2004 CTT with 60K miles, I love this car and really don't want it totaled.
Glad you are ok.

After having been through a (mule) deer hit with my 996 Turbo my advice is to find a Porsche Certified Collision Center and have your Cayenne taken care of there.

If you can't find a PCCC then search out a body/paint shop the repairs high end cars like M-B's, Audi's (alum.), Jaguar's, and Rolls, Bentley's, etc.

The hood will probably not be straightened, but replaced with a new hood from the factory. Even my car's steel hood was replaced, along with the passenger fender.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:44 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Agree^^^

Ask a BMW dealer about their certified collision center.

New sheet metal is very pricey for P vehicles. My wife was involved in a parking lot fender bender, with her mint condition low mileage 2001 Boxter, and it was totaled. The adjuster reported that a fender, hood and headlight assembly were half the market value of the car.

My 04S was repaired by a local reputable body shop. It turned out great but the teal paint was a shade dark, in certain lighting conditions. A descent match with 8 year old paint but it did affect its value when I wholesaled the truck.

Last edited by v10rick; 11-10-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:23 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a little vengeance for you... My 5x5 Elk rack and his four quarters hauled home in the back of my CTT. 8 point? you guys only get to count one side LOL
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2016, 09:53 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

The hood isnt made of aluminum?
Old 11-09-2016, 12:55 PM
reachme
Instructor

thanks Prosled, nice trophy rack.
But you misunderstand my comment about picking up the bow again. It's not out of vengeance, bowhunting is so close quarters you develop deep appreciation and love for them-at least I did. I hunted to reduce the danger of strikes to people and a stop beautiful buck dying from a car in the street or starving in the woods in winter or from CWD, no way for an animal that beautiful to die. I stopped hunting because more often than not I would not take the shot I was too happy to observe. Ok that and I am getting old and chasing, gutting and hauling is harder after 4 hours in a stand in your late 40's than your 20's.

I may be wrong about the aluminum hood-maybe that did not come in until later years on the Cayenne. I never wanted to scratch the paint to find out but it always felt light. Great advice about the collision center, I found one close.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Eerily similar. We were driving along here in the bay area on Hwy 92 and a small doe decided to cross the road right in front of us while we were rolling along at 60+ mph. My wife was driving and slammed on the brakes, kept the car straight with center divide on our left and another car on the right.

Deer was stopped in between lanes so car in lane #2 made it through, but the deer started to move again just as we got up to the deer. P!G ended up head butting the animal low in the bumper/fender area so damage was minimal, but it definitely snapped the deer's head back into the fender.

$1800 later, bumper and fender repaired. That was a minor hit, your repair is going to be more for sure given the need for a new bumper, hood and possibly fender.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:55 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

The only certified Porsche Collision center around here is a Herb Chambers body shop (They do every brand that Herb Chambers owns, which I think is just about all of them) so your car will be repaired fast to get all the hondas and toyotas in line waiting to come in. I have heard nothing but bad things about them. Now granted they may fix what they did, again, and again, and again. But that is up to you.

Looking at the damage, I honestly don't think it is that bad. I new Turbo bumper cover is like $400. It takes about 30-40 minutes to remove the bumper cover, and most of that time is getting under the car, removing the cowl, some metal shield and some screws around the splash shield. It is easy.

Behind that are just the grill pieces, wires for parking sensors, hose for headlight squirters and the side marker harness, and that is it.

The headlight mount may be broken, and it is possible the radiator support, but again looking at your pictures it doesnt look that bad.

I really doubt anything mechanical was broken.

If you want some body shops and their caveats in the eastern part of the state I can name a few, as well as mechanics (Don't think you need it.)

This is my 957 with the lipstick missing, gives you an idea what is behind there:

Old 11-10-2016, 10:18 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks Prosled, nice trophy rack.
But you misunderstand my comment about picking up the bow again. It's not out of vengeance, bowhunting is so close quarters you develop deep appreciation and love for them-at least I did. I hunted to reduce the danger of strikes to people and a stop beautiful buck dying from a car in the street or starving in the woods in winter or from CWD, no way for an animal that beautiful to die. I stopped hunting because more often than not I would not take the shot I was too happy to observe. Ok that and I am getting old and chasing, gutting and hauling is harder after 4 hours in a stand in your late 40's than your 20's.

I may be wrong about the aluminum hood-maybe that did not come in until later years on the Cayenne. I never wanted to scratch the paint to find out but it always felt light. Great advice about the collision center, I found one close.

I have a great affinity for the forest animals myself. That rack was in no way meant to be a trophy, it is just MUCH easier to get a license for a male than a female. There were probably 150 cow elk in the herd with this guy and only couple other bulls. That animal provides good healthy meat for us for a whole year.

I was fortunate this spring to be able to see dozens of newborn elk and deer. The deer are more numerous than the people in my neighborhood. We had a big "10 pointer" in eastern parlance sleeping under our deck most of the summer. I have chosen to live in the mountains in lieu of the cities to my massive financial detriment but, it is much more rewarding in other special ways.

This one was taken by old guys, I am 48 and my buddy turned 56 yesterday. He chased the herd for 3-4 miles on steep rough ground around 10,000 ft of altitude, I came in from above and was successful. We packed it straight uphill, took us about an hour. Don't sell yourself short yet!

Just kidding about the vengeance...lol I hope they get the pig fixed and back on the road for you soon!

Quick Reply: Pig vs Deer