996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did someone here buy this 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016 | 10:00 AM
Lucid Moment
Racer

You are correct, 2 different part numbers. At least now you know the difference between sport seat vs comfort seat, supple vs non supple.
Old 10-25-2016 | 10:08 AM
Atrox
Drifting

What are mine?

Old 10-25-2016 | 10:17 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Atrox, yours appear to be supple. The op car is equipped with standard sport seats, a 0$ option as opposed to the more expensive adaptive sport seats.
Old 10-26-2016 | 11:56 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Atrox, yours appear to be supple. The op car is equipped with standard sport seats, a 0$ option as opposed to the more expensive adaptive sport seats.
Yes, those look like my standard (comfort?) seats...but with the softer supple leather (mine have the standard perforated leather).

So to continue this discussion on seats, I have an opportunity to pick up a set of excellent condition sport seats at a good price from a friend. While they are very cool looking, based on some research here I'm concerned about actual comfort. Sure I could use a little more upper body support, but at 6' 175#s I'm not spilling out of my stock seats. I do have the ability to 'audition' the sport seats and I probably will, but can anyone chime in on this?
Old 10-26-2016 | 12:32 PM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Road King, I think yours are standard sport seats... there is also the adaptive sport seats, which have the larger shoulders, as I understand it..
Old 10-26-2016 | 12:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Road King
I do have the ability to 'audition' the sport seats...
That's a great idea. I think it's important to see how you personally fit in the seat. Depending on one's chest and shoulder width, and what your sitting height is (sitting height = butt-to-top-of-head distance while seated), the seatback will provide diffferent comfort levels (or lack thereof) for differfent sized drivers.
Old 11-04-2016 | 09:43 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Default Almost

I ended up buying the other one from Cosmo Motors with the GT2 wing with 65k miles. They did me right.
Old 11-04-2016 | 09:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
what? the car in the ad has standard seats, the hard back ones pictured in other posts here are sport seats. no such thing as standard sport seats that were a zero cost option on 996tt. why confuse people?
Old 11-05-2016 | 06:57 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

For the 996 there were 3 seat options in the US, Sport, Standard Comfort and Supple Leather Comfort. There was no Adaptive Sport Seats, those started with the 997's and I belive but may be wrong, I believe they started with the 997.2's. Rest of the world had a 4th option which was the GT3 fixed back racing style seat for use with harnesses.

Sport Seats, notice the "wings" for shoulder support. These also had a hard shell back that had the option of being painted the same color as the body of the car.

Standard Comfort seat (Standard non-supple leather)

Standard Comfort seat with Supple Leather also known as Draped leather. Notice the center cushions are a much softer luxurious leather.

996 GT3 Fixed Back seat

Old 11-07-2016 | 08:50 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

The 'Sport' and 'Comfort' are determined by the foam, not necessarily the trim style, although the trims in almost all cases do follow the same patterns, with regard to the specific foam (at least in regard to the German OEM I work for, in seat development) and I've only found 2 different foam part numbers.

What you're referring to as 'standard comfort', has a different foam than the 'supple comfort'; which leads me to believe that the only 'comfort' seat is the supple / draped leather version, while there are 2 versions of sport seats. While the wide shoulder version is a higher version (with only additional parts, not replacing the back or cushion foams).

Quick Reply: Did someone here buy this 996TT?